Should I get this?

I was thinking about upgrading my stock intercooler to either this one
http://store.driftmotion.com/static/i-7mgteintercoolerkit.php
or
http://store.driftmotion.com/static/i-new7mickit.php
But i have a few question before getting one.
1. Which one is the easiest to install
2. Will either of these intercooler kit need something to be moved to have it fit.
3. Are there other intercooler kit that you guys think is better.
I'm eventually gonna go for a power output of around 350hp. Thanks for your input.

BrandonW

Jun 25, 2007
N.J.
i would go with the second kit (personally i like the ic route better)

probably both about the same to install they pretty much follow the stock ic route especially the second kit linked since its a same side

the only thing that has to be somewhat moved is the oil cooler which should not be a big dead

those are probably the best as far as kit goes now a days and for the price

CyFi6

Aliens.
Oct 11, 2007
Phoenix
www.google.com
I have the second one you listed there. Its a little bit of a pita to fit the couplers onto the intercooler, you will see what I mean when you do it, but you don't have to cut or remove the hatch brace which is nice, it fits right up in front of it. The overflow bottle is a tight fit and you must move the oil cooler for sure.

Supra_dan

Aug 14, 2011
north carolina
^ CyFi6! I hate to sound like the biggest tard on the planet but...maybe you can help me out. I had recently just reveived my 'new style' kit from DM

It all looks good. I had tried my best to piece it all together but I am having difficulties. I was wondering if maybe you can help me as to which pipes go where and what couplers go where?

CyFi6

Aliens.
Oct 11, 2007
Phoenix
www.google.com
Supra_dan;1837154 said:
^ CyFi6! I hate to sound like the biggest tard on the planet but...maybe you can help me out. I had recently just reveived my 'new style' kit from DM

It all looks good. I had tried my best to piece it all together but I am having difficulties. I was wondering if maybe you can help me as to which pipes go where and what couplers go where?

From top to bottom in the driftmotion pic
Pipe from turbo outlet to bottom (strait) intercooler inlet (the small reducing coupler goes on the turbo outlet, 90 degree goes to strait intercooler inlet)
Pipe that replaces the 3000 pipe to throttle body (large reducing coupler to throttle body)
Pipe to upper intercooler outlet (angled one) (45 degree coupler here)
Pipe from intercooler outlet pipe ^ to throttle body pipe, goes behind the front bumper on pass side
Strait couplers are self explanatory

Pretty sure that is right, the last two might be swapped but from what I can see that should be correct. Good luck man!

Supra_dan

Aug 14, 2011
north carolina
CyFi6;1837181 said:
From top to bottom in the driftmotion pic
Pipe from turbo outlet to bottom (strait) intercooler inlet (the small reducing coupler goes on the turbo outlet, 90 degree goes to strait intercooler inlet)
Pipe that replaces the 3000 pipe to throttle body (large reducing coupler to throttle body)
Pipe to upper intercooler outlet (angled one) (45 degree coupler here)
Pipe from intercooler outlet pipe ^ to throttle body pipe, goes behind the front bumper on pass side
Strait couplers are self explanatory

Pretty sure that is right, the last two might be swapped but from what I can see that should be correct. Good luck man!

Dude....thank you!!

While I think i'm fairly certain I understood all that, do you think you can take some pictures of how it's set up? I'll paypal ya 5 bucks :)

Seriously, i'll do it if you can take some pics lol

Canuckrz

Jan 13, 2009
Calgary, Alberta
One thing that always made me heasitant about buying one of these kits is that half the cars I see running them the upper pipe that replaces the 3K pipe is all out of whack. It looks like they're pried upwards at where it goes into the fender. I don't know if its just shitty instalation or the kit though, it just looked like common enough of a problem that it made me leery of them.

Then again I'm OCD and small stuff like this drives me nuts, it likely still functions properly even though it doesnt look proper fitting.

CyFi6

Aliens.
Oct 11, 2007
Phoenix
www.google.com
Supra_dan;1838807 said:
Nice^

Also bump on them pictures of install ;)
I haven't forgotten about you man, my camera is dead and I can't find the charger for the life of me. Sorry its takin forever once I find the charger I will get these pics.

Canuckrz;1838829 said:
One thing that always made me heasitant about buying one of these kits is that half the cars I see running them the upper pipe that replaces the 3K pipe is all out of whack. It looks like they're pried upwards at where it goes into the fender. I don't know if its just shitty instalation or the kit though, it just looked like common enough of a problem that it made me leery of them.

Then again I'm OCD and small stuff like this drives me nuts, it likely still functions properly even though it doesnt look proper fitting.
This bugged me too. The upper 3000 pipe is not bent properly, it is slightly off. If you mess with it enough you can get it to look pretty decent, but it still isn't perfect. You could always cut and reweld the pipe if you really wanted.
p1838850_1.jpg

CyFi6

Aliens.
Oct 11, 2007
Phoenix
www.google.com
Sorry for the shitty pics but this is literally all i could get before the battery died on my camera. I have searched my place up and down and can't find the charger anywhere. Hope this helps a little.
p1839391_1.jpg

p1839391_2.jpg

p1839391_3.jpg

p1839391_4.jpg

p1839391_5.jpg

Turbo Habanero

Apr 28, 2009
Tucson,AZ
I have the first Kit and been running it for about 1 and a half years i like it but i would tell you to relocate the BOV i had melted 3 HKS BOV's lol.

Aaron from Driftmotion also said this

bigaaron;1829356 said:
I think it will flow a little less (maximum) because the air is traveling through half the core one way, and back the other way through the other half. So it might cool the air better, but flow a little less. If it's just a 300-400hp setup I would run the new kit, if you are 400+hp I would run the older kit. On the older kit an extra 3' of piping isn't going to make a noticeable difference in spool, and if you trim the radiator support bracket a little you can get that lower pipe to be high enough in the car that it isn't a clearance issue.

Here are so photo's of mine.

p1839403_1.jpg

p1839403_2.jpg

p1839403_3.jpg

p1839403_4.jpg

p1839403_5.jpg

p1839403_6.jpg

p1839403_7.jpg

p1839403_8.jpg

p1839403_9.jpg

Devin LeBlanc

Banned
Apr 7, 2010
Las Vegas NV.
I got the 1st kit, Chopped half of the piping up and had everything redone. The lower pipe is to short so was extended, the top pipe is bent wrong and sits way high so it was completely re done.

Its alright for the money and yes it all hooks up but I think the fitment is not good.

Canuckrz

Jan 13, 2009
Calgary, Alberta
It just frustrates me that with such an obvious issue such as the top pipe that they haven't eventually fixed it, its not like it would cost more to produce. If they fixed it in the second kit even that would have been fine, but same shit different asshole. They went back to the drawing board and came back with the same obvious issue. Unless perhaps theres something about RHD cars thats different enough that it could be made to fit them properly but not LHD.

Supra_dan

Aug 14, 2011
north carolina
Very cool, thank you guys for posting this stuff, Between the info and photos I BETTER be able to get this kit in somewhat right.

Last question hopefully..How did you mount the intercooler itself??

Hopefully more than just the 2 brackets under it? Seems that wouldn't be enough considering the intercooler has a pretty decent weight to it and I feel hitting a bump or pot hole would not be good for them two little brackets