Should I buy Or should I not?

TuRbOdReAmZ87

Supramania Regular
Feb 2, 2007
Southern mass
www.cardomain.com
Hey everyone. You may have seen my last thread about what i should do with the 87' turbo hardtop that has a shit load of rust and rot. But anyway this one is about a 88' turbo im looking at. I went to look at it yesterday morning. The guy wants $700 for it. The car is really clean. No rust, or rot. :) Thank god. Also its targa and 5spd (what i want)! And has 114k. All it needs is some putting back together. Such as Radiator, ac, alternator, 2 new tires (in addition to the 4 on the car already), eletrical parts, hoses & intercooler. Thats what was listed in the ebay ad. But the thing that concerns me is that he got into an accident and put a new front clip on. He said he had it done by professionals and everything lines up perfect. Which it does because i looked. BUT I looked at the welds and they were rusted. Or w.e idk if that matters and also a little 4 inch piece of the weld was split. I dont know how that could have happend. But i was curious if that would make a difference and if it would be fixable. Is the car worth the $700 or is it not a good idea. I got some pics too. Sorry about them being small. Any advice or opinions would be greatly appreciated. Thanks :)

- Chad

p967564_1.jpg

Car is pretty clean
p967564_2.jpg

Yea kind of multi-colored lol
p967564_3.jpg

you might be able to see the split part. Its near the drivers side strut tower.

p967564_4.jpg

interior isnt bad either.

So what do you think?

csnow

Matthew 6:33
Apr 5, 2005
Palm Bay, FL
No, walk away. You call that car pretty clean? I call it a junker that should be in a salvage yard. You are settling because you want a car now. I assume the car has a salvage title and I doubt it was put on a frame machine and pulled correctly because the repair would far surpass the worth of the car. The motor is rusted and badly oxidized. No telling what the internals are like and I would imagine it has a BHG and that is why it is apart.

Take your time. You will find that spending 5 to 7 thousand on a nice supra is far cheaper than spending $700 on a "fixer-upper" when all is said and done and you add up the receipts. It may take time but save your money and get what you want the first time.

Chris

WhtMa71

D0 W3RK
Apr 24, 2007
Macon, GA
Its just the front half of the engine bay that was welded on not even behind the shock towers so it wont fuck up anything like the alignment, just the lines....Its not like the car was chopped in half and welded to another half. Engine will need to be rebuilt anyways and if its been under the hood like that its not like its beyond repair.
Body parts lining up tell a lot about what condition the frame is in...the back half of the car looks great from what i can see and the engine bay and front need some paint. If you want it to look decent you will have to take EVERYTHING out of the engine bay and repaint it so if you have a lot of time and money to put into this car it could be worth it..but thats up to you. I would say its worth it if you'll be doing the work yourself because paying someone to do it will cost you an arm and a leg.. but its not like there arent any people on this forum who have put a retarded amount of money into thier old ass cars anyways.

TuRbOdReAmZ87

Supramania Regular
Feb 2, 2007
Southern mass
www.cardomain.com
csnow;967594 said:
No, walk away. You call that car pretty clean? I call it a junker that should be in a salvage yard. You are settling because you want a car now. I assume the car has a salvage title and I doubt it was put on a frame machine and pulled correctly because the repair would far surpass the worth of the car. The motor is rusted and badly oxidized. No telling what the internals are like and I would imagine it has a BHG and that is why it is apart.

Take your time. You will find that spending 5 to 7 thousand on a nice supra is far cheaper than spending $700 on a "fixer-upper" when all is said and done and you add up the receipts. It may take time but save your money and get what you want the first time.

Chris

lol i meant other than the multi-colored and the engine bay lol. And i know im settling i need to stop doing that. :( I want a more decent one so bad!! Thats why im trying to get a personal loan. Its been 8 long months without a supra and its killing me :3d_frown:

Frank Rizzo

Banned
Jul 25, 2007
Fixing your girl's car
Wow, that one you posted from craigslist is down the street from me, might have to check it out. There has been a blue one running around here, burning oil badly, I wonder if this is it.....

Justin

Speakers?
Mar 31, 2005
Spokane, Wa
csnow;967594 said:

Chris

YES! To Everything he said!

Big Wang Bandit;967596 said:
That shits JANK.

Like that purple coolaid?

GotBoost?

I do
Nov 25, 2005
By My Computer
For $200 it would be a steal, for parts only. Otherwise it's junk. I'm sure you'll find a nice one at a price you like, and then you'll kick yourself for having this moneypit. So keep looking.

catback

Mar 30, 2005
bitterville
offer him $200 and keep it as a parts car.
if he says no.... wait a year and offer $201 trust me he'll still have it.. lol