Short shifter

masterchief819

Apr 4, 2006
us
noobie q:

What's involved in changing out a shifter? Is it something a complete novice could do?

Been looking at picking up a c's short shift kit. Is the ride height good? Are shifts awkward? Is missing gears easy common with this kit? Any other kits I should look at that outperform the c's? From what I understand, most of the other short shift kits rolling around on ebay are just cheap hacked up shifters that feel like crap.

Any input appreciated :D

jdmk3_87t

Take it!
Apr 29, 2005
SoCaL
I believe the C's maintains the stock height of the OEM shifter. It shortens the shifts but not the height. Someone correct me if I'm wrong.

stratoayu

May 13, 2005
surrey
wait a little while and get a nashman shifter. hel make it any height u want :) and if u can undo like.. 8 bolts and 5 screws, u can change ur shifter in a couple of mins.

tonysupra

Supramania Contributor
Dec 3, 2005
CT
Yup, I'm waiting for nashman's shifter too. Hopefully it be alot cheaper than those c's shifters.

masterchief819

Apr 4, 2006
us
Hm for some reason i thought the replacement would be more involved than that o_O

Anyways, doesn't nashman require you to send in the core of your old shifter? Everything seems so foggy in all his threads.

suprastanger507mgte

2x88+2x89+1x91+2x92=ME
Apr 5, 2005
Hayward , Ca
masterchief819 said:
Hm for some reason i thought the replacement would be more involved than that o_O

Anyways, doesn't nashman require you to send in the core of your old shifter? Everything seems so foggy in all his threads.

Nashman's English and grammer makes it hard to understand what he has to say...and does not improve on it either.
To change the shifter, he does need to pull the radio console out, but after that it is just the 4 bolts and the boot.

It shouldn't take that long/

OneJoeZee

Retired Post Whore
Mar 30, 2005
aboard the Argama
jdmk3_87t said:
I believe the C's maintains the stock height of the OEM shifter. It shortens the shifts but not the height. Someone correct me if I'm wrong.

yep. just how I like it. shortened shifters annoy me!

Kyle87T

Banned
Aug 4, 2005
Richmond Hill, Ontario, Canada
suprastanger507mgte said:
Nashman's English and grammer makes it hard to understand what he has to say...and does not improve on it either.
To change the shifter, he does need to pull the radio console out, but after that it is just the 4 bolts and the boot.

It shouldn't take that long/

Its not his fault, its a condition...

HamsMKIII

Yes, it's fast...
Dec 16, 2005
Saginaw, Tx
For anyone who has the C's shifter... I've had mine for a bit now, and my TRD knob fits on it fine. I recently tried to screw on both of my Grex knobs that I previously used on my stock shifter, and neither of them would screw on. It seems the threads are a different pitch... I have the old school Grex knob and the white delrin Grex knob, and neither will screw on! How strange...

Anyone else notice this?

More importantly, does anyone know the thread size and pitch? It's not the M12 x 1.25 like I thought...

NashMan

WTF did he just wright ?
Aug 5, 2005
Victoria BC
reson why thetrd shift nob fits it cause it a plastic thread so ti will screw on to any thread as it will strip to fit as you whould say

the c use diffetn pitch that si why it comes wiht shift nob stock

this is what i have bean told

HamsMKIII

Yes, it's fast...
Dec 16, 2005
Saginaw, Tx
I understand what you're saying. It is quite evident to me that the C's shifter is not a M12 x 1.25 thread pitch. I am asking if anyone knows what it is?

NashMan

WTF did he just wright ?
Aug 5, 2005
Victoria BC
oh hummmm guess the best way is get the a tape die set and start chasing the threads tell ones fit's proper or use thread stick kinda like feller guage but has has thread markings on it to frind out witch thread it

i have one cam in my tape die set