Short Shifter Options...

NST MK3

Dec 7, 2007
TX
www.NonStopTuning.com
Hi everyone,

I looked around a bit and haven't seen much mentioned about short shifters for the MK3. What options do we have and which ones are most popular on the forums?

Thanks in advance for the replies :icon_bigg

BorHor

2JZ-GZE
Jan 10, 2006
San Jose, CA
Uhh plenty is mentioned. And every single time the same 3. C's , Suprasport V3, and Nash man. You didn't search hard enough.

flubyux2

Madd Tyte JDM yo ®
Apr 2, 2005
st. pete, fl
www.myspace.com
i vote for C's... i never thought a shifter should cost $300... but holy shit. i drove an FD with a C's shifter. it was so good, itll make you Smack yo mama! and the quality was top notch. it might as well have been designed by the OEM themselves.

flubyux2

Madd Tyte JDM yo ®
Apr 2, 2005
st. pete, fl
www.myspace.com
ive done it, i dont recommend it.

the lower stick is a bad angle. to get into the rear gears (2, 4, R), you basicaly have to push down more than you pull. its really hard to just pull the shift w/ a single rear-ward motion because the line of operation puts the armrest in the way of your elbow.

if youre gonna do it, id suggest heating the loewr stick w/ a torch and Bending it forward so the shifter doesnt sit at such a laid-back angle when in the rear part of the pattern.

Clip

The Magnificent Seven
Oct 16, 2005
Virginia
i don't really mind mine at all. i suppose its all in the arm or the driver. i do like the reduced height and slightly notchy feel, but i've never driven one with a true short shifter. wish i could get a c's

black91turbo

Formerly black87turbo
Apr 27, 2006
Jacksonville, FL
I have a V3 and I am selling it because I love the SOGI mod....It feels great and i haven't really noticed a big difference when I put in 2nd 4th or reverse.....personal preferance really.

jdk_ii

Aug 25, 2005
boston
annoyingrob said:
I run a Suprasport shifter, but I've had some quality issues with it. I abuse my shifter pretty hard though. I'm curious how a C's would compare to it.

What kind of quality issues?

jdk_ii

Aug 25, 2005
boston
annoyingrob said:
I had the plastic bushings that surround the ball of the shifter crack, as well as the shaft separating into two pieces.

If this is the S3 V2 shifter....

The internal bushing (one) is from a BMW 3/5 series. Chosen for easier future
replacement. BMW's usually need these replaced at 30-50K.

I've seen them in older BMW's where they have a split or missing one of the "teeth",
though the design is quite smart as it still holds the shifter fulcurm sphere in place.

As for the shaft seperating into two pieces, the V2 shifter is a two piece design.
This to allow some height adjustment. Most do not change it,
as it is set to the shortest position when assembled.
I'm assuming this is what you are referring too.

One generic condition is that any short shifter will amplify problems with a worn transmission.
The S3 shifter, C's, etc. I've seen this first hand with a R154 that the upper engagement rod was plain loose.
This side-to-side play, combined with likely other internal wear is going to create shock against
the complete shift engagement components.

For reference, this is not a SupraSport shifter. They are one of a few vendors that sell the S3 shifter.

OneJSupra

I'm a sleeper ...
Feb 9, 2007
Supraland
I've had the suprasport V3 shifter for 6 months now and I love it. So far no issues to report. After changing the oil in my r154 with the red line mt90 all I can say is dang ...

KeithH

Mar 31, 2005
Portland, OR
Jim - thanks for chiming in on this thread. It has been GREAT seeing you in Vegas and I am a VERY proud S3 V2 Shifter owner. I've driven Supras with four different shifters and I would rank yours right at the top of the list of quality shifters for our cherished MkIIIs. The only other shifter I would have chosen would have been the Cs.

If it were a choice between the stock or the hack job (NOT SOGI - SOGI is an organization) I would choose stock any day. The angle is all wrong and it screws up the effort required to shift.

I LOVE THE S3 V2 SHIFTER!

joliroger4

Flying Dutchman Pilot
Apr 4, 2005
New Jersey
www.geocities.com
I first changed to a shortened stock shifter that had a small extension welded to it with the green truck bushing. I was young and thought this was great at the time. I then switched to a JDM C's that was cut down(There are US and JDM Cs versions which are different). I only ran this shifter for a few months before getting rid of it as it caused many missed shifts. I went back to my shortened stock shifter with the extension and lived with that for quite a few years. After doing a lot more drag racing, I recently got fed up with how difficult it was to get the car into second gear under WOT(not to mention how loud and clunky the shifter was as well as a rough notchy type shift) and bougt a very mint used US Spec Cs shifter out of desperation. It was worth a ton and I'll never look back. While I believe my transmission is some of the problem(since it seemed to get harder to shift over the passed two years) in getting the car into second, I can actually shift this car with some kind of speed now. I rebuilt a spare R154 with new bearings, syncros, seals the Marlin bearing retainer plate and restored all the clearances using the snap rings from toyota and I have high hopes I'll be able to see even better results in the spring.

I stayed away from the other short shifters as there seemed to be problems with all the others breaking in two. The Cs is like OEM quality, dampened and silent.