Short shifter...B&M....IS300...W58...R154

drunk_medic

7Ms are for Cressidas
Apr 1, 2005
Woodstock, GA
Alright, I am doing this. Well, I will be - I am leaving for vacation on Monday for about a month, but when I get back, I have a project waiting for me:
shift.jpg

I have my IS300 B&M shifter which I put a new OEM shifter bushing for a R154 on, and my Trust knob threaded onto it VERY nicely [hooray! no more cheapo shift knob coming loose in traffic], and a NA W58 shifter housing to hack up. All I need are some longer bolts and a drill press now, and I'll be cooking with grease. I think I will also buy a new shift boot cover, since the two metals look disimilar.

Last edited:

monkihead

driven to thrill
Jul 23, 2005
texas
mkiiiowner said:
picture 1 shows you how to cut the top part out. Make sure that you don't cut out the base of the top piece where the green bushing rest onto.

picture 2 After cutting, you'll end up with what inside of the red square box that I drew.

What you want to do now is grind down all the excess edges so you can have a flat surface to mount your shifter onto. You'll be mounting this spacer up side down so this flat surface will attach to the bottom of your shifter. You don't have to measure how thick your spacer because that's how thick it needs to be.

Now, you need to drill the four bolt holes all the way through, cut the two pins and enlarge the middle hole (pic 3) until your shifter could drop into it. That's what you need to do for the spacer.
i hate to sound like an idiot, but do i need to cut where the blade is at on pic 1??

Kyle87T

Banned
Aug 4, 2005
Richmond Hill, Ontario, Canada
Is anyone making a kit for us Supra owners? I am a novice when it comes to all of this stuff. I can buy the B&M shifter off of ebay, and I will be willing to pay for someones time and effort to get me all the extra parts I need to convert.
I have some extra money lying around for something just like this!!! Let me know.

Does the tranny have to be pulled at any time in this project?

shaeff

Kurt is FTMFW x2!!!!
Staff member
Super Moderator
Mar 30, 2005
Around
no need to pull the tranny. just the center cosole area around the shifter. :)

-shaeff

NashMan

WTF did he just wright ?
Aug 5, 2005
Victoria BC
bigaaron said:
I agree, with all that work cutting and drilling stuff you are only one weld away from using the stock shifter and saving $200.
bingo you hit it on a nail

sure ity pretty but may way is alot cheerp

but i have to say it is shinney

siman

Lifetime Ban
Mar 31, 2005
Murfreesboro, TN
www.cardomain.com
Well you keep the arm rest accessible stock height (well about 3/4" lower than stock shifter position) for COMFORT.

2. The shifting is reduced around 60% judging from my friends non-modified shifter on his R154.

3. The CRISPNESS is unmatchable.

4. It takes less than 15 minutes to do. Providing you have all the tools neccessary etc.

its about as simple of a "mod" as you can get withou plug and play.

I am not here to force my idea and incredible findings here on anyone. You will never know until you try. :)

Ever single person that has sat in my car and has felt the shifter ( rowing through the gears) without me heading them off about the B&M, they shift it and just LOOK at me with big wide eys and say "my god! What kind of shifter is this???"...Maybe I should tape record some of it. LOL

-jonathan

NashMan

WTF did he just wright ?
Aug 5, 2005
Victoria BC
cheeper sution is to get a w58 hat and then take you stock shifter cut teh ball off and rear weld it so ti is longer then you are done

mush mush cheeper and shiftes the same way

cetpt eh one si make are angled to even the shifting throws between 1st and 2nd

siman

Lifetime Ban
Mar 31, 2005
Murfreesboro, TN
www.cardomain.com
NashMan said:
cheeper sution is to get a w58 hat and then take you stock shifter cut teh ball off and rear weld it so ti is longer then you are done

mush mush cheeper and shiftes the same way

cetpt eh one si make are angled to even the shifting throws between 1st and 2nd

Please PLEASE re-type that.:aigo:

supra90turbo

shaeff is FTMFW!
Mar 30, 2005
MA, 01440
You know... way to be a cock, man.. he's got dyslexia. I'm proud for him for every post he makes.. You ever met someone with dyslexia? Ever seen the consequences? Fuck, that's insensitivity at it's best...

for you, and anyone else with a closed fucking mind...
NashMan said:
cheaper solution is to get a w58 hat, then take your stock shifter, cut the ball off and re weld it so it is longer when you are done.

much much cheaper and it shifts the same way.

except the ones i make are angled to even the shift throws between 1st and 2nd.