Shopping list for winter project! going hx35!

Arrest_me_red

Aug 2, 2010
Toledo Ohio
Alright, my 1jz is running well finally and im already looking at going single!, id like to run a holset hx35, i've been reading a lot of threads about it, and it seems like a good budget minded option. Just to let everyone know im only trying to ditch the twins for now, this won't be a final upgrade stage, i just want enough supporting mods to use this turbo. So heres what i'm running so far

1991, 1jz with r-154
stock twins with manual boost controller
ebay y pipe with 3" exhaust
driftmotion intercooler kit.

now heres the single turbo shopping list

ebay t4 manifold with a t4-t3 adapter
jdm 440 cc's
s-afc
aeromotive stealth pump
wideband, lc-1 or mtxl?

not sure about downpipe or intercooler pipe yet.

would i be able to break 400hp with these mods? im not sure what the weak link would be at this point, if not what would be the next thing to upgrade?

now another concern is the wastegate, could i make use of the factory wastegate for now? i could block of the flange on the manifold for now.

just let me know what you guys think, i plan on many more supporting mod next year, 272 cams, full fuel system revamping etc. Just looking at something to get me started for now.

destrux

May 19, 2010
PA
Yeah 400hp is fine, but right on the limit of the injectors.

You'll absolutely need an external wastegate, a 40mm will work. The internal wastegate on the holset is tiny, and is only sufficient for a diesel engine.

You'll want to stay away from the godspeed T4 manifold unless you want to do some welding. I got it and the wastegate tubes hit the frame, and there's little room for the huge 3/4" oil drain that a holset turbo requires. You can get the T6 drain flange you need from racepartsolutions.com but skip their drain kit, it doesn't have the proper fittings or high temp drain hose. You'll need to fabricate an oil drain tube from 3/4" tubing and cut up the stock aluminum 1JZ turbo drain fitting that bolts to the pan and weld a 3/4" aluminum hose barb to it. You can then connect the custom drain tube to the block with a short piece of fluoro coated reinforced silicone hose.

You'll need a custom downpipe. Nobody makes one that fits the holsets.

For an oil feed, buy a -4AN 30 inch long teflon hose with 12mm banjo ends pre-crimped on. There are places online that sell them. You'll need a 12mm-1.5 thread banjo bolt for the turbo, and re-use the stock 12mm-1.25 banjo bolt on the block. Use 12mm-1.25x10 bolt with a copper washer to block off the rear turbo oil feed.

Also, when you're sourcing your turbo, try to get one without the internal wastegate turbine housing. You'll save money. If you get the IWG housing you'll need a custom flange for the downpipe (and a custom gasket, or dig around for one online, the dodge dealers usually can't find the proper gasket in their system), and you'll have to make a plate to hold the IWG shut. The EWG turbine housing has a proprietary v-band flange on it, that you can easily weld a 3" v-band on top of.

Also, when buying a t4-t3 adapter, buy a flat one that's only about 1/2" thick, or the turbo might hit the hood. Mine is about an inch from the hood, and I welded a divided T-3 flange on my manifold on top of the T4 flange.

I'd get a PLX wideband. I like mine, and you can hook it up with an innovate SSI-4 to easily log RPM and WBO2 on a laptop without interfering with the dash mounted gauge.

Arrest_me_red

Aug 2, 2010
Toledo Ohio
Thanks for the awesome reply!

I've been reading a lot about holset turbos, and i haven't made up my mind yet, i'm also looking into maybe an hx40. Now do these turbos have interchangeable exhaust housings? like if i find an hx35 housing will it work with an hx40? If im going to by a new housing, then i'd really like to get one with a t4 flange. Now looking on ebay, i see a lot of turbos being sold through ebay businesses that look brand new, are these turbos legit? or knock offs? Some say they have t4 housings on them already, but they all have IWG's. Im so indecisive, i keep thinking of different options and i really don't know what to go with.

destrux

May 19, 2010
PA
It depends, there are different HX35 exhaust wheel sizes, not sure if any of them shared the wheel size with the HX40. There's good info about the holset turbo varieties on the dsmtuners forum, and on one of the dodge ram websites (can't recall which one though).

If there's a new "holset" on ebay for less than $600 it's a knockoff. I paid $300 for mine in used condition.

It's fine to buy a IWG turbo, you just have to hold the flapper shut or weld it shut. If you can't find a EWG housing then using an IWG housing with the flap blocked shut isn't a huge deal.

Not sure if you looked, but if you do a google search limited by date to less than 1 month old for "holset for sale" you'll get a bunch of results of people on other forums selling them.

kneedragger85

Sep 9, 2008
Boulder, CO
There are two versions of the HX-35; the older 8-blade compressor wheel with a divided T3 that pumps out 52lbs/min and the newer 7-blade compressor wheel with an undivided T3 footprint that flows 60lbs/min.

If you mean 400rwhp, then I would go larger than 440's as both holsets will get you there if boosting over 18psi.

Arrest_me_red

Aug 2, 2010
Toledo Ohio
Alright i'm not really worried about actual hp numbers, im using the 440cc's because they're cheap, and i'll just see where they take me, now with that said, will the stock fuel pump keep up with the injectors? Like i said, this isn't going to be an elaborate build, just getting rid of the twins. Just want to know if that will still work for now.

destrux

May 19, 2010
PA
Ah yeah, you're right. I was thinking of the exhaust wheel having different sizes because I always group the HY35 and HX35 together in my head... (HY35 turbine wheel is smaller, as is the housing, but it has the same compressor wheel as the 7blade HX35). I may pick up one of these and drop it on my car later if I start doing auto-x, this HX35 spools pretty slow compared to stock IMO.

Cam_Ron

Dec 14, 2009
Calgary, Alberta
Make sure to use a -12an or larger drain. My hx40 (6 blade, 60mm) with the 18cm divided turbine housing with 280deg cams made 29psi by 5300rpm on my 1jz. Holsets spool very quickly! I've since switched to the bep .70a/r turbine housing and threw on a 3L bottom end. If the old setup was any indication of what is to come, I can't wait. 2 bar by 4500rpm :) ?