michigan
www.shaftmasters.com

shaftmasters

Vendor
Oct 29, 2007
michigan
www.shaftmasters.com
shaeff said:
nice:) still waiting on news of the two piece. :)
We have our version of a improved two-piece shaft waiting on Dr.jonz to contact us to pick it up and test it out. It has a new u-joint and hanger bearing installed into the factory original front shaft and a brand new rear shaft. The rear shaft is aluminum with 1310 series solid performance dynamic u-joints and spicer steel 1310 series flange yokes. They are balance as a set. I see several issues with the viability of this design.
1. The price. We only feel comfortable with using a O.E.M. replacement hanger bearing with these shafts because any aftermarket ones we have inspected are crap. The O.E.M. bearing is very expensive, this fact alone sends the price sky high.
2. Core charge. We would have to charge a core charge for the return of the front shaft to keep the parts chain flowing. From our experience customers tend to frown on core charges and the hassles with returning cores. On our end we have waited long periods of time waiting for cores so we can keep rebuilt units in stock.
Any thoughts or suggestions are welcome. In the mean time you may want to consider our one-piece design which has had good reviews in this forum.
Robert

Ma70.Ent

Supramania Contributor
Feb 26, 2006
NJ
Damn, if only you guys were around here sooner, haha. I hear vibrations with my Jawsgear Steel D/S at around 70-75 mph. Now you're offering a lightweight 2 piece, damn. :(

Also, may I ask, which is considered to be more durable/long lasting, aluminum or steel? I keep getting mixed ideas. I just assumed steel would, but I don't know now

shaeff

Kurt is FTMFW x2!!!!
Staff member
Super Moderator
Mar 30, 2005
Around
shaftmasters said:
We have our version of a improved two-piece shaft waiting on Dr.jonez to contact us to pick it up and test it out. It has a new u-joint and hanger bearing installed into the factory original front shaft and a brand new rear shaft. The rear shaft is aluminum with 1310 series solid performance dynamic u-joints and spicer steel 1310 series flange yokes. They are balance as a set. I see several issues with the viability of this design.

that's awesome. i'm hoping drjonez's review is a good one! :)

1. The price. We only feel comfortable with using a O.E.M. replacement hanger bearing with these shafts because any aftermarket ones we have inspected are crap. The O.E.M. bearing is very expensive, this fact alone sends the price sky high.

i don't care about price. if it's a quality part, i'll pay. ;) and honestly, i wouldn't use an aftermarket bearing anyway. stuff like that, i always go to Toyota.

2. Core charge. We would have to charge a core charge for the return of the front shaft to keep the parts chain flowing. From our experience customers tend to frown on core charges and the hassles with returning cores. On our end we have waited long periods of time waiting for cores so we can keep rebuilt units in stock.
Any thoughts or suggestions are welcome. In the mean time you may want to consider our one-piece design which has had good reviews in this forum.
Robert
core charge is fine with me. i don't see what the big deal is. to me, it seems as if people are just being stingy, and lazy- and that's just too bad. if you guys end up not producing a 2 piece, i'd still like one. if that's not possible, i'll likely grab one of your single piece units.

jdub

Official SM Expert: Motor Oil, Lubricants & Fil
SM Expert
Feb 10, 2006
Valley of the Sun
shaeff said:
core charge is fine with me. i don't see what the big deal is. to me, it seems as if people are just being stingy, and lazy- and that's just too bad.

We are dealing with Mk III owners here :biglaugh:

CPT Furious

Now MAJ FURY!
Mar 30, 2005
KDOV
I'd also consider a two-piece. I still have my factory bearing that's only about 4 years old. It'd be perfect!

shaftmasters

Vendor
Oct 29, 2007
michigan
www.shaftmasters.com
CPT Furious said:
I'd also consider a two-piece. I still have my factory bearing that's only about 4 years old. It'd be perfect!
For us to warranty any shaft that goes out we would require that it has all new u-joints, center bearing and is balanced as a set. We could be creating a warranty nightmare to do it any other way.
Robert

Johnysupra

Rhenerie
Nov 7, 2007
Michigan
rhenerie.spaces.live.com
I know this may be a bit off topic, but i realized that shaftmasters is located pretty close to me. . . like 10 mins away. Can you guys build a custom one peice driveshaft with a slipjoint ?? I have a 6spd from a MKIV supra and will need the shaft its self slipjointed. Since you guys are local it would be cool to send you some business. Also can you do it out of aluminum ?? I've seen one slipjointed drive shaft in aluminum it had like 8 large rivits holding it to the Slipjoint. Let me know, thanks

shaftmasters

Vendor
Oct 29, 2007
michigan
www.shaftmasters.com
Johnysupra said:
I know this may be a bit off topic, but i realized that shaftmasters is located pretty close to me. . . like 10 mins away. Can you guys build a custom one peice driveshaft with a slipjoint ?? I have a 6spd from a MKIV supra and will need the shaft its self slipjointed. Since you guys are local it would be cool to send you some business. Also can you do it out of aluminum ?? I've seen one slipjointed drive shaft in aluminum it had like 8 large rivits holding it to the Slipjoint. Let me know, thanks

Custom building a single piece with an outboard slip is no problem. Aluminum slip style is a problem. First of all we would not rivet a steel stub into aluminum tubing, this seems kind of hokey. Secondly we do not consider the steel stub to be capable of handling the torque. We are sure the spline diameter of the steel stub is 1 3/8" at best. Under a good shock load the female part of the slip joint is going to fracture. We do make an aluminum slip style shaft for newer mustangs. It features a 3" diameter internal slip spline that is aluminum. The shaft itself is 3.5" diameter. From what I have seen of the Supras this is going to lead to clearance issues.
Thanks, David

Johnysupra

Rhenerie
Nov 7, 2007
Michigan
rhenerie.spaces.live.com
Well If you guys can do it, then I can make it fit. I already have alot of fabrication underway and the engine/trans is going to be mounted lower so Ill have more clearance for the drive shaft. I just wanted to know that I have a local option. I'm no drive shaft expert I just knew i'd seen it before. If you guys can build it and say its strong enough, thats good for me.

shaftmasters

Vendor
Oct 29, 2007
michigan
www.shaftmasters.com
Johnysupra said:
Well If you guys can do it, then I can make it fit. I already have alot of fabrication underway and the engine/trans is going to be mounted lower so Ill have more clearance for the drive shaft. I just wanted to know that I have a local option. I'm no drive shaft expert I just knew i'd seen it before. If you guys can build it and say its strong enough, thats good for me.
Great Johny,
Let us know when your ready. Where exactly are you located in Michigan?
Robert