Selling the Supra?!?!

oscolivar1

Supraism
Feb 8, 2006
Virginia beach
So i got a Letter from the city and i thought that they were saying i had to get rid of my car because its not working in a matter of 7 days. So me being the worried person I am, I immediatley call people that i knew who would be interested. I have one guy who's ready to buy it for 2000 and another guy for maybe 2500 and another who is debating aas to how much.

The City calls me back the next day to tell me my options they told me that i just need to get my cars off the Jack Stands because that is a liability(car might fall on a kid), and i just need to change my decals which i have somewhere or i can jus go to the DMV and Spend 50$ to get them, then the city will leave me alone and i can keep the car.

So now i dont know what to do, when this was going on i was thinking Sell/trade in the supra and my 2000 Rav4 thats like 15,000 total and buy a new car. I don't know if thesse offers will ever pop again, this could be a one time thing. Remember my car isnt running at all because of some dumb electrical issue I couldn't figure out and i am able to sell it for 2000+. To me thats one hell of a deal. My car is EXTREMLEY CLEAN for an 87 probably the only one Va Beach in non-running condition in stock form. Minimal Rust spot, no dents, Clean interior, etc. More importantly It has sentimental value, When my dad past away in 2004 the car was given to me. It has all the paper work that has been done to it over the years, gasket, Master cylinder, etc. I also have like a total of 3000-4000 parts lying in my room New tires, 245-45-50(I think) BC 264/264 cams, cam gears, koyo Rad(sold CSF Rad if you look at build thread), HPF Bronze cluth, Ceramic coated parts from Jdub/John and MORE. So roughly Ill have 20,000 or so to buy a new car if i wanted.

I really dont have time to mess with the car because of College and High School Coaching, and tennis fanaatic. I think i just need to spend the extra money to Fix this Dumb electrical issue and get it running

What do you guys think?
How much do you think my car is worth?

Here is my Build Page
http://www.supramania.com/forums/showthread.php?t=37486

Electrical issue threads
Parts 1
http://www.supramania.com/forums/showthread.php?t=30450
Part 2
http://www.supramania.com/forums/showthread.php?t=31517

Il be out to my sisters B-day dinner so i'll Post back late tonight if you guys have questions.

Last edited:

JonoTurbo

Going for broke
Mar 30, 2005
CT
About the power problem, did you check the circuit breakers? There's a couple in the drivers side kickpanel.

oscolivar1

Supraism
Feb 8, 2006
Virginia beach
JonoTurbo;879895 said:
About the power problem, did you check the circuit breakers? There's a couple in the drivers side kickpanel.

This was at least a years ago when this happened. I believe I did check or my uncle at least.... All i really remember is checking is that there was no power going to the main relay switch and the alternator switch. If I keep the car i seriouslt think i need to get an electrical guy to look at it.

OneJArpus

Supramania Contributor
Jul 1, 2005
Newark, New Jersey, United States
i say sell it. but if you want to spend money to have an electrician to look at it thats a good option too. Unless you have plans for it and havent gotten around to them yet hten keep it. if you have no plans on it and just want to get it running. sell it

88tsupra

Mar 21, 2007
long beach
I say get some wheels to put on and then change the decal.

Your going to regret getting rid of the car.

Last edited:

MK3.0dudeman

brian L.
Mar 12, 2007
North Jersey
KEEP IT!! I say hust spend the money to get it runing if I got my car the way you did and it was that clean I would so keep it trust me it's not worth selling somthing like that for 2,000.2,000 might seem like a lot now but your going to kick yourself in the end plus if you do sell it wouldnt it be smarter to have it up and runing so you get top dollor for it.Me or any one on here can't tell you to keep it or sell it but just think about everything I said.good luck

SupraMario

I think it was the google
Mar 30, 2005
The Farm
88tsupra;880541 said:
I say get some wheels to put on and then change the decal.

Your going to regret getting rid of the car.

Ditto, your going to be kicking yourself if you get rid of your supra.

oscolivar1

Supraism
Feb 8, 2006
Virginia beach
D34DC311;880642 said:
Ditto, your going to be kicking yourself if you get rid of your supra.

Most likely I'll be kicking myself in the ass, but sometimes I just don't want to deal with it, but then again I know I have plans for it and i know i have the money. I've always wanted to give my son this car and so forth...

Sometimes I just think if I'm just wasting my time...I dunno.

SupraMario

I think it was the google
Mar 30, 2005
The Farm
oscolivar1;880666 said:
Most likely I'll be kicking myself in the ass, but sometimes I just don't want to deal with it, but then again I know I have plans for it and i know i have the money. I've always wanted to give my son this car and so forth...

Sometimes I just think if I'm just wasting my time...I dunno.

LOL, my mother tells me I'm putting to much of my time and money into my cars, but to be honest, its what makes me happy. Why would I want to do something else, if it makes me bored or just doesn't make me enjoy what I'm doing. this is the reason I'm going into IT and not becoming a doctor, I love computers, even though I have a talent for medicine.

Sometimes the wrong decision at the right time is, the right decision in the long run.

Damn the expense right?

BTW, my father who is 54 now, still owns his first car(was 14 when he got it). Its been sitting in storage for over 3 decades now, and he is finally starting to work on it. think about that, 30+ years is what it took him to start to do what hes always wanted to do.

suprabad

Coitus Non Circum
Jul 12, 2005
Down Like A Clown Charley Brown
oscolivar1;879866 said:
When my dad past away in 2004 the car was given to me.

How much do you think my car is worth?

As you get older you will come to realize the real value of this car.

If your dad kept this car for so long, he must have loved it.

Cover it up and store it in the garage or somewhere, until you're ready to get it roadworthy.

As far as money goes...you'll go through a lot of it in your life, most of your purchases will be forgetable, but you won't have another chance to own and drive something that obviously meant something to your dad and connects you to him.

Don't sell it.:icon_bigg

oscolivar1

Supraism
Feb 8, 2006
Virginia beach
Thanks for the feedback guys.... I soon realized when i took my car off the Jack stands, I noticed how bad looking it was. I went down memory lane for a minute and remembered how much i loved it!!!

Once i start getting paid from my High School Coaching (2500) I will be getting the supra up and running! I talked to my friends William and he said he'll do the whole electrical system. How much does a New Wire Set go for these Days Because mine is recently Hacked up! IIRC it was around 150.00 at Champion toyota where Jeff Watson works.

Ma70.Ent

Supramania Contributor
Feb 26, 2006
NJ
Considering your dad passed away and you got the car, I wouldn't sell it just because of that reason.

csnow

Matthew 6:33
Apr 5, 2005
Palm Bay, FL
Keep it. You can find a good harness in one of the many part out threads. To bad it's an 87 because I have an 89 I could give you a good deal on.