Seems I am good at finding product issues, Summit "Twist Tite" hose discovery

dok33

My fuel pump precedes me
Apr 16, 2005
Austin, TX
www.cardomain.com
I recently put together an RX7 oil cooler setup using Summit -10 (5/8") Twist Tite hose and their fittings. A few weeks later one of the hoses popped off my remote filter mount, spilling 5qts of expensive synthetic on the road but fortunately not toasting my motor thanks to oil that got blown up onto the windshield causing me to immediately shut down. Fortunately I was only ~5mi from my house:
supratow.jpg

After some discussion with a tech at Summit they sent a new fitting thinking maybe that one was undersized but when I received it the OD of the barbs was the same, although ~.01" smaller than an Aeroquip Pushloc fitting I had laying around. I went ahead and made a new hose just to be safe and drove it about a week before heading out for Tx2k10.

About 100mi from my house I once again had the pleasure of oil spewing all over my windshield. Fortunate again to not lose my motor and also to have enough oil to limp to a nearby Wally World, I went on to purchase 10qts of their finest (cheapest) 5w30 and a Prestone flush kit for the hose clamps. An oily hour in the Walmart parking lot later and I was once again on my way to Houston.

The lines held all weekend after ~300mi of driving including road racing and drags and everything seems to be AOK now. Called Summit today to try and figure out what was going on and after about 1.5hrs of discussions/holding we figured it out:
-10 to Twist Tite fitting (haven't had any issues with these popping off)
sum220713w4984911.jpg

1/2NPT to Twist Tite fitting
sum220752w4924164.jpg

Never noticed before but the 1/2NPT fitting only has 2 barbs on it and the tech said a high pressure clamp is required on these even though it's not mentioned on their site:
"Our Summit® NPT to nipple Twist-Tite fittings are designed for reduced weight, convenience, and best of all, affordability. The durable blue-anodized aluminum fittings are designed for use with our Summit® Twist-Tite hose. Installation is as easy as pushing the hose over the fitting for a secure connection--no more struggling with braided hose assembly."

I tried to get reimbursed for the $100 of oil I lost and the tow but couldn't get it out of them. All in all I'm pretty satisfied, they gave me a gift cert in the amount of the hose/fittings and are going to update the site. Definitely feel very fortunate I didn't lose my motor and/or turbo, wanted to put the info out there so nobody else has to go through this!

empera

Authorized Vendor
Mar 30, 2005
Philly.
damn, im glad to see u got it figured out. I'm using these for fuel....and yea i remember using the 3 barbed ones on the -10....looks like summit handled it pretty well?

thank god u didnt blow anything....

dok33

My fuel pump precedes me
Apr 16, 2005
Austin, TX
www.cardomain.com
Yea, it took a little fighting but considering I'm still able to use everything I bought I'm pretty happy with the end result. Will be removing the wally world worm gear clamps and installing some of these here pretty soon:
iddifuincl.gif

IJ.

Grumpy Old Man
Mar 30, 2005
I come from a land down under
Can't use that style of clamp on a pushlock fitting, the barb will slice into the hose causing a spectacular failure.

Correct size hose and fittings and the correct Oil/Fuel resistant hose is needed to do the job correctly, never had one fail in 30 years of using pushlock after the first failure from using the wrong hose.

I run pushlock on the Engine Oil, Trans Oil and fuel here.

VooDoo

Draggin ass on his build
Mar 20, 2008
Valdosta ,Ga
Nice save. Results could have been devastating. I am using twist locks on my trans and oil only. I hope I don't have this problem. Though mine would probably blow off 110' from the trap and the rest would be history.

Last edited:

gofastgeorge

Banned
Jan 24, 2008
Texas
All Summit's 'house' products are cheap chinese crap.
I had one of their fan temp switches fail in less than 30 minutes, and damn near cost me an engine.
Stick to name brand products only, and you will be much better off.

I have been running Earl's #10 push-lock hose for years, at 80 psi oil pressure, and it's never let me down.

dbsupra90

toonar
Apr 1, 2005
indiucky
i've always used the parker fittings. they don't looks as cool as the alum ones, but damn you put a line on their barb and you pretty well have to cut it off.

dok33

My fuel pump precedes me
Apr 16, 2005
Austin, TX
www.cardomain.com
IJ.;1536644 said:
Can't use that style of clamp on a pushlock fitting, the barb will slice into the hose causing a spectacular failure.

Correct size hose and fittings and the correct Oil/Fuel resistant hose is needed to do the job correctly, never had one fail in 30 years of using pushlock after the first failure from using the wrong hose.

I run pushlock on the Engine Oil, Trans Oil and fuel here.

Guess I'll give my friends at Summit Racing a call again, was just going off what they suggested. I have a few -10 Aeroquip pushloks laying around and they all have 3 barbs so I assumed this was the issue.

I definitely did my research, stuff was supposed to be good for oil up to 350psi and I had seen favorable reviews but looking back everyone was using the AN hose ends and not the NPT ends I used. I realize there's something to the price difference with the Earl's and Aeroquip parts, but I also think if they're going to say it's rated for something it should hold up...

WhtMa71

D0 W3RK
Apr 24, 2007
Macon, GA
This makes me nervous as I'll be running the same hose and fittings. The hose just blew off the blue 1/2" NPT to twist tite fittings? Not the 90* style like you have pictured above that?

supra90turbo

shaeff is FTMFW!
Mar 30, 2005
MA, 01440
That's certainly scary. Glad you caused them to update their site, although I'm with Ian, I would not keep a hose clamp on that, the barbs are quite sharp.. looks like you got it sorted getting the Aeroquip ends. Good info since I was thinking of using Summit ends, although I was going to use the standard type fittings with nylon braided hose.

Any pics of your setup? I'm thinking of running an FC cooler I have just acquired, but I can't seem to find a way without hacking up the front end and removing A/C (which I won't do)

grimreaper

Jul 2, 2008
Dallas
^ if you have a pre 89 nose, stick it above the ic. Like adjuster did. Other wise that oil cooler is just huge! Total pita to make fit in front of the condenser, and then your going to run into AC pressure issues if its to close. (Oil cooler kept the cond. from cooling. Caused unhealthy AC psi increases at idle! That took a while to figure out :D)
I still have the rx7 unit any takers?:naughty:

WhtMa71

D0 W3RK
Apr 24, 2007
Macon, GA
Do you think the oil rx7 oil cooler had something to do with it? Are you running that same fitting anywhere else in the system?

black89t

boost'en down 101
Oct 27, 2007
humboldt, ca
shit........i was planning on using these too. did the same fitting keep failing or was it more than one npt to barb? maybe you had to tight of a bend in the routing. from what i have read those fitting and lines are great. now i'm nervous about them. i literally was just about to order them.

edit: did the line with the 180* bend blow?
http://img715.imageshack.us/img715/3984/p2230032.jpg

Evilempire1.3JZ-GTE

SF what a waste of supras
Jun 22, 2006
SoCal
www.myspace.com
I would always choose to run the higher grade option first with the lower grade option as last method of use.

#1 pick would be solid aluminum AN threaded fitting hardline choosen first.
#2 braided line AN threaded fitting.
#3 braided line push lock
#4 rubber hose push lock
#5 rubber line hose clamp perfer threaded bolt clamp over squeeze clamp depending on quality.

Using that selection proccess will save your ass

You have to remember though to use stainless fittings over aluminum when around extreme heat.
Also if the area flexes braided teflon hose is better then aluminum hardline for obvious reasons.

I am glad your experiance didnt cost you an engine or severe damage.

dok33

My fuel pump precedes me
Apr 16, 2005
Austin, TX
www.cardomain.com
Don't think the cooler was the issue, I used metric to NPT adapters on the cooler and then screwed the NPT to twist tite fittings into those. Never saw any oil pressure spikes that would indicate a clog or anything and the cooler came off my buddy's running FC that's getting an LS1.

The rest of the summit parts work fine and I used Summit AN stuff for my fuel system and haven't had any issues, I just think the NPT to twist tite stuff isn't sized right or something.