Seats

wsharp23

Jul 27, 2009
Grover Beach, CA

MKIIISupraGuy

Sep 14, 2009
Lousy-ana
this was talked about in another thread...

Anyway I'll give a brief recap:

Don't cheap out on seats. Spending as little as possible is understandable money-wise, but not the smartest decision, and for heavens sake...dont get cheap ass "universal mounts", they almost always require modification. If you are ok with that.. then whatever. Personally I would look for the best possible and matching seat mounting brackets I could find. As for the seats? Well everyone has their own taste in style and shape. If your on a budget I have a friend that has Tenzo R Recaro style and they are very nice & comfortable. They are all over ebay for $260-280 + shipping.

GL to ya !!

wsharp23

Jul 27, 2009
Grover Beach, CA
MKIIISupraGuy;1441444 said:
dont get cheap ass "universal mounts", they almost always require modification. If you are ok with that.. then whatever. Personally I would look for the best possible and matching seat mounting brackets I could find. As for the seats? Well everyone has their own taste in style and shape. If your on a budget I have a friend that has Tenzo R Recaro style and they are very nice & comfortable. They are all over ebay for $260-280 + shipping.

GL to ya !!

Thanks for the response man I think I have read that thread and Im not trying to go as cheap as possible Im just trying to find some decent seats.... As far as mounting brackets go I thought the ones in the link were made specifically for the seats?...???? I guess I misunderstood.... Are you suggesting that the ebay Tenzo R' s are better built than the NRG's and the Procar's??? And that the Tenzo's have brackets made specifically for them????

Hmong_1G

Name the Place and time.
Dec 31, 2008
California
Well i bet if your after weight saving then anything is better then the stock ones. Me and a buddy weighed the factory mk3 electronic driver seat at a whopping 80lbs. I don't know if the scale is wrong.. but buying a cheaper brand seat can save some extra baggage.

MKIIISupraGuy

Sep 14, 2009
Lousy-ana
wsharp23;1441483 said:
Thanks for the response man I think I have read that thread and Im not trying to go as cheap as possible Im just trying to find some decent seats.... As far as mounting brackets go I thought the ones in the link were made specifically for the seats?...???? I guess I misunderstood.... Are you suggesting that the ebay Tenzo R' s are better built than the NRG's and the Procar's??? And that the Tenzo's have brackets made specifically for them????

The ones you linked to Summitt looked decent... and yes they are made for the Supra. No I am not suggesting Tenzo's are better, just they are a possible alternative for you. You can get car specific brackets for Tenzo seats, just like most any other seat. I guess I was thinking you were wanting to spend as little as possible, and that kind of bothered me.

jugodegolf

Supramania Contributor
Apr 5, 2005
Phoenix,AZ, United States
wsharp23;1441338 said:
Looking to get some entry level seats and not sure what to get. I am looking at some NRG seats as well as the procar seats from summit. What do you guys think? I want to try to spend as little money as possible and still be safe as well as find a bracket that will allow me to mount them. If anyone has comments or other suggestions it would be appreciated.

http://www.summitracing.com/parts/CMB-24-0005/

http://www.andysautosport.com/toyota/1986_1992_supra/interior/seats/racing_seats/nrg/

Thinking our stock seats are so comfortable. Have you looked at some of the redone seats?

wsharp23

Jul 27, 2009
Grover Beach, CA
jugodegolf;1441925 said:
Thinking our stock seats are so comfortable. Have you looked at some of the redone seats?

Ive been looking for someone to sell me one more... the problem i have is that my driver seat is a recaro SE and the passenger is a stock. I would redo the seats if they were both stock. I just want them to match each other and ive looked at the leather kit for the stock seats and that would be really nice. But since i have two different seats i figured it would be easier to just get two new aftermarket seats rather than to get a stock seat and then re-wrap them.

jugodegolf

Supramania Contributor
Apr 5, 2005
wsharp23;1442470 said:
Ive been looking for someone to sell me one more... the problem i have is that my driver seat is a recaro SE and the passenger is a stock. I would redo the seats if they were both stock. I just want them to match each other and ive looked at the leather kit for the stock seats and that would be really nice. But since i have two different seats i figured it would be easier to just get two new aftermarket seats rather than to get a stock seat and then re-wrap them.

Gotcha. Our cars can be made to go fast enough to overcome the heavy stock drivers. Haven't seen any of the newer aftermarket ones that look right to me. Would be hard to find the passenger recaro. Maybe Jarco if you tell Michael what your looking for. They go over regularly, or used to.

wsharp23

Jul 27, 2009
Grover Beach, CA
So I just found some recaro SE seats for sale and was wondering where I could get some sliders and brackets for them? I cant really find anything online. I think I at least need sliders and I could make some brackets. Any threads on making brackets?

lewis15498

Don't blame ebay cheapass
Sep 28, 2008
Raynham, Massachusetts, United States
Hmong_1G;1441505 said:
Well i bet if your after weight saving then anything is better then the stock ones. Me and a buddy weighed the factory mk3 electronic driver seat at a whopping 80lbs. I don't know if the scale is wrong.. but buying a cheaper brand seat can save some extra baggage.

So you find some cheapo seats, and cut out 50-100 lbs. They look cool, hell theyre even comfortable. Then one day you get rear ended, the back support snaps in half, and you break your back and your next thread is how to make wheel chair mounts in your new supra.

Not trying to flame anyone here, but factory seats aren't designed just to sit in, they're also designed to protect you. If you are gonna upgrade, spend the dollars on something that will keep you safe. Seats are not something to cheap out on, theyre just as important as seat belts.

wsharp23

Jul 27, 2009
Grover Beach, CA
lewis15498;1443224 said:
So you find some cheapo seats, and cut out 50-100 lbs. They look cool, hell theyre even comfortable. Then one day you get rear ended, the back support snaps in half, and you break your back and your next thread is how to make wheel chair mounts in your new supra.

Not trying to flame anyone here, but factory seats aren't designed just to sit in, they're also designed to protect you. If you are gonna upgrade, spend the dollars on something that will keep you safe. Seats are not something to cheap out on, theyre just as important as seat belts.

Hey mr. crazy I found some used recaro's....... I have clearly stated in this thread multiple times that Im not try to find some cheap seats.... i just cant afford new sparco/corbeau/bride seats and am looking for help getting it done with the vast knowledge of the people on this forum.

lewis15498

Don't blame ebay cheapass
Sep 28, 2008
Raynham, Massachusetts, United States
wsharp23;1443253 said:
Hey mr. crazy I found some used recaro's....... I have clearly stated in this thread multiple times that Im not try to find some cheap seats.... i just cant afford new sparco/corbeau/bride seats and am looking for help getting it done with the vast knowledge of the people on this forum.

There is no need for name calling.:nono:
My comment was in response to Hmong's comment, not yours. Keep in mind this is a community. After you are done with this thread, other people will have the same question, and instead of starting a new thread, they will use the search feature, and find this thread. When someone makes a potentially misleading post, such as Hmong suggesting that any aftermarket seat is an improvement, someone who knows better will respond, so not just you, but whoever reads it in the future will not be mislead.

VooDoo

Draggin ass on his build
Mar 20, 2008
Valdosta ,Ga
If you look he quoted who he was referring to.

This is why they have the quote tag bro. Just saying. I agree. that you can go to cheap on seats. I feel any higher quality name brand will have a standard quality control. Recaro are good seats. As are th others you mentioned. I myself am going to summit and looking at the seats they have available. I will get what I feel will be safe and reasonably priced.

wsharp23

Jul 27, 2009
Grover Beach, CA
lewis15498;1443268 said:
There is no need for name calling.:nono:
My comment was in response to Hmong's comment, not yours. Keep in mind this is a community. After you are done with this thread, other people will have the same question, and instead of starting a new thread, they will use the search feature, and find this thread. When someone makes a potentially misleading post, such as Hmong suggesting that any aftermarket seat is an improvement, someone who knows better will respond, so not just you, but whoever reads it in the future will not be mislead.

Sorry man, I understand what your saying and also agree

SupraMario

I think it was the google
Mar 30, 2005
The Farm
Find another driver seat, have both seats re-upholstered, replace passenger with driver seat, with all goodies, and vola badass seats, and 40ish more lbs, but who cares.

jugodegolf

Supramania Contributor
Apr 5, 2005
wsharp23;1443253 said:

Some good examples of seats that have been redone. suprahero, grimjack. Randy/becauseIcan has the material for redoing the recaro's.

Nothing like stock look. It's not a supra, but OMG!
p1443498_1.jpg

I'm kinda partial to shadow grey
p1443498_2.jpg