Scruggs86.5T's Build

Scruggs86.5T

Dec 8, 2007
Slidell, LA
Well I figured it was time that I finally make a build thread, so here we go. I bought an 86.5 n/a in march '07. I bought it with a spun rod bearing and a list of other issues for around 850. Since then I have swapped in a JDM 7mgte and just recently developed a little rod knock. I am planning on doing a full rebuild of the engine, repainting the body and upgrading some suspension, basically a half assed restoration. My budget is somewhere around $20,000 total. I have already used some of it in parts. Due to me having 2 kids and being in the military I dont have a whole lot of time or money for the project. I am estimating it will be done in around 2 years. I am going to take my time and do it all right, I plan on getting all of the parts I need before I even get the engine machined. I am hoping for around 500hp out of it when done, but with a different turbo capable of around 600hp. I am planning on using all forged internals, the 60-1 turbo kit from Driftmotion, dual walbros, 680cc injectors, all stainless braided lines, and swapping in a r154 tranny. Here are some pictures of the car when I first bought it;
picture.php

picture.php

then after the swap
picture.php

I used the spay interior paint on it at some point, I am eventually going to get the interior redone with leather on the seats and door panels, and then recarpet the whole car. This was after I sprayed the interior.
picture.php

I ended up painting it twice in the last 2 years, this is one of the paint jobs I forgot which one though. I am planning on painting it Anthracite Metallic from the mkiv supra.
picture.php

Now to get into the recent additions; I swapped out my front bumper with someone that wanted the post 89 bumper, I know a lot of people like the older style but I guess its just personal preference on this one.
picture.php

I swapped to the JDM 89+ tails and the 3 piece spoiler also. the side pieces are sitting in the storage shed waiting to be mounted.
picture.php

As for the suspension I am planning on going with all poly bushings, front and rear sway bars, koni yellow shocks, and the Beech rear subframe bushings. I am already using the RS Race springs. Here are poly bushings and the subframe bushings.
picture.php

picture.php

Here are some of the other other parts that I have already gotten still waiting to be installed;
Stainless power steering hose from Driftmotion
picture.php

Q45 throttlebody, not finished polishing this yet though....
picture.php

680cc injectors also from Drift....
picture.php

CPS cover....
picture.php

My Maft pro set up with the boost controller....
picture.php

the lc-1 wideband to use with the Maft....
picture.php

eagle h beam rods
picture.php

probe .020 over pistons
picture.php

FPR from drift...
picture.php

pulley set and master cylinder brace from beech.
picture.php

picture.php

Last edited:

Scruggs86.5T

Dec 8, 2007
Slidell, LA
I bought a full ferrea valvetrain from a member on here. They are the 1mm oversize with dual springs and titanium retainers.
picture.php

I am going to use the Brian Crower 264 cams, bought these from the group buy.
picture.php

Here is the RonR FFIM that I am going to use along with the dropdown bracket for the alternator. Thanks again Ron.....
picture.php

As for now that is all, I will update as much as I can. Please feel free to throw any suggestion, comment or questions my way.

Last edited:

Scruggs86.5T

Dec 8, 2007
Slidell, LA
So here is a brief update on whats going on now. I have been taking things apart lately. The dash and some engine parts have come out. I have done some rewiring on the dash, and a lot of engine harness rewiring. Here is a pick of the inside as it sits right now, looking kinda crazy....
picture.php

Here is a couple of the engine bay, I have been working slowly on this, just pulling a couple parts at a time.
picture.php

picture.php

As you can see I have a lot of cleaning to do in the near future.....

I started working on some of the wiring harness cleaning up and moving things around for a tuck. I soldiered in my clips for the new injectors, took out the wire for the egr vsv, took out the ac temp wire, took out the cold start injector wiring. I moved the coil wiring so it comes out of the harness at the rear of the engine(for C.O.P. mod) also rewired my coil harness for the C.O.P. mod.
picture.php

I moved the injector resistor wiring, the fuse box wiring, and the igniter wiring so it comes out a little lower down by where the A/C used to be. I also took out my afm wiring so I could start wiring up the maft pro. So basically just a lot of wiring...... Here is a pic of the harness right now with some of the Maft pro wiring hooked up.
picture.php

I know its a mess but I plan on leaving it like this until I get everything on the engine set up incase I need to correct or move things around, then I will cover it with wire wrap or insulated wrap depending on where its at on the engine. I am planning on having it come out of this area here through the firewall
picture.php

and then the O2, wideband and boost control going through the stock hole.
I plan on having the area closed up and putting a new hole through the firewall, just to make the area smaller.
I also started working on relocating the fuse block to underneath the headlight to clean up the engine bay some, here is how the wiring in that area is looking at the moment still have a lot of work to do there though.
picture.php

I have also recently decided against the original plans of going with the driftmotion 60-1 turbo, I am pretty sure that I am going to go with a GT3582R now. Also the dual walbros are going out the window, I am thinking of going with a single bosch, if anyone has any ideas on which one or if a single would even be enough please feel free to chime in....

Scruggs86.5T

Dec 8, 2007
Slidell, LA
got my intake put together today, didnt put it on the car though.....
picture.php

I think it looks pretty bad a$$..... I cant wait till it all gets put together in the end...
I took off the fuel rail and cleaned it up, I am pretty sure it is going to end up getting polished at some point.
picture.php

I also got a couple different interior parts from a couple different people. I started with an 86.5 which has the third brake like in the back window and I switched to the 89+ wing so its LED now, I got a new inside hatch cover to fill in the hole from the old 3rd brake light....
picture.php

I also got a new driver side A pillar because I drilled some holes in my old one for gauges,
picture.php

all of the gauges are now getting fitted into the cluster and I am going for an as close to stock appearance in the inside as possible.....

Scruggs86.5T

Dec 8, 2007
Slidell, LA
So its been a while since I have updated this thing. Not that anyone is waiting on pins and needles for me to update it. So I have sold some parts off of the car, things I don't need; ct26, w58 for a few. I also ended up selling some stuff that I had already bought for the build right before christmas though. I really didn't want to but I needed to, christmas for kids is a little more important, maybe :sarcasm:
Lately I have been cleaning out my shed to make a workplace, I ended up building a bench out of some scrap wood some people were using for fencing. I think it turned out alright, at least I have somewhere to work now.
picture.php

I also started doing some polishing on some of the parts I want done. Here is my cps cover from AZ
BEFORE
picture.php

and AFTER
picture.php

I think it turned out alright for a first attempt at polishing..... So this is my new project to make shiny all that was dull. Here is a sneak peek at what's next on the old polishing block......

picture.php

Last edited:

Scruggs86.5T

Dec 8, 2007
Slidell, LA
well havent gotten all that much done lately. I did finish the fuel rail so I thought I would throw up some picks. I think it came out nice, it might need a little touch up polishing here and there though, just some cloudy spots....... first pic is a little grainy, I tried adjusting it so it wasn't so yellow, something with the lighting.
picture.php

picture.php

supraguy@aol

Dec 30, 2005
Atlanta
You keep saying 'here is this' and 'here is that'.
There ARE no pictures. I'm assuming you tried to post some?
I'd love to see them.

Scruggs86.5T

Dec 8, 2007
Slidell, LA
turbotom88;1492998 said:
look's good bro keep up the good work. i also wanted to ask where you got the cps cover ?

thanks everyone, the cps cover came from Driftmotion;

http://store.driftmotion.com/static/i-7mcpsbilletcover.php

Supra28;1492980 said:
Wow, a lot of progress. I'll be keeping track of this build. Good stuff.

As for progress, I dont see it as that much... I expect to be done with this in about 2 year due to limited funds that I can put towards it. It will happen eventually though. Thanks again.

xzeror

Oct 18, 2009
Miramar, FL
what is your car lowered on, and what type of rims are those and size. I love how your car sits and would like mine to be that low.

Scruggs86.5T

Dec 8, 2007
Slidell, LA
The car was lowered with the RSR race springs with stock struts for now. I think I will be using Koni yellows whenever I get to that stage. The rear actually has some spacers that I made that go in between the coil and the car, not sure how much of a space though, probably around a half inch. The wheels are staggered sport max's, 18"x9 and 18"x10 (I think that is what the widths are). I used a 245/40 in the front and 275/35 in the rear.

Scruggs86.5T

Dec 8, 2007
Slidell, LA
So it's been a little while since I updated. I have been polishing some here and there. I decided that I am going to have most of the big stuff done for me by a polishing shop. It's just to time consuming for me, and I don't know if I have the patience for it. I will be polishing most of the smaller items though, or shall I say the easier items. Not sure if I mentioned this before but I am wanting to put aftermarket gauges in the stock housing. I plan on putting them from right to left; fuel gauge, oil pressure, water temp, (stock) speedo, (stock) tach, and boost on the far left. I decided that I needed to do the fuel gauge too since all of the other small gauges were getting swapped out. I ended up using autometer Z series gauges. For the fuel I used the 2??-33 ohm gauge and changed out my fuel sender using the autometer universal sender. It seemed to work out alright. There was a little bit of modifying involved though, mainly drilling out the mounting holes in the new sender. But the sender is in and I just got done fitting the fuel gauge in the housing today. Let me know what you think.

Here is the housing with the holes cut for all of the gauges that I am using, with the fuel already in place. I know they are a little messy around the edges, this will be fixed when I actually install each gauge.
sm_photo_missing.jpg

This is around the back of the fuel gauge itself.
sm_photo_missing.jpg

The inside.
sm_photo_missing.jpg

The front cover.
sm_photo_missing.jpg

And finally the finished product, at least for this one gauge.
sm_photo_missing.jpg