SC (Soarer) Vs MKIV NA Supra?

DonS1mpson

Black Supramacist.
Mar 19, 2006
England!
My dad is looking for a 'sporty' 2 + 2 coupe to replace his rather crap Saab and we're narrowed the list pretty much down to either a Soarer (either the 1JZ or V8 with air suspension) or J-Spec NA Supra given that they are now dirt cheap (They've began to creep around the $4000usd mark)

Obviously the Soarer is going to have more power (A TT MKIV is completely out of the question before anyone suggests it.), but he doesn't really care about that, just something that handles well, is a good cruiser and will generally make a nice comfortable daily.

Dispite being a child of the F & F generation, I've always had ZERO interest in them and know nothing too extensive about them, other than the tidbits of information I've gotten from researching Aristos and Soarers, so am not really in a postion to advise him.

Any Thoughts people?

p.s, I had no idea where to put this. Feel free to stick in the MKIV section if it's better suited there.

In America at least, the price of a V8 soarer is a lot lower than a N/A MKIV simply because it's a V8 and the name isn't as well-known. Stock to stock I'd actually prefer the SC400 to a N/A MKIV, they're nicer inside and I think it's actually faster too. I'd try not to get an air suspension one because I've heard of them being problematic though. No 1JZ soarers over here but that sounds pretty cool too, IMO better than a N/A MKIV if you're going to keep both stock.

DonS1mpson

Black Supramacist.
Mar 19, 2006
England!
A soarer in similar condition would be slightly cheaper. With his budget would get him a soarer with low miles in great condition while it would only get him an NA MKIV in fair condition and average/high miles.

I'm interested as to why there is such a clear winner though, aren't the MKIV and SC built on the same platform?

cartel1_950

supra is gone
Jan 30, 2006
calgary
depends on what the point of the car is. daily driver you'd want something with better gas mileage and there is no was a V8 > than inline 6 NA BUT the sc300 is a much nicer car for crusing in. just a tad more of a gas guzzeler

My Dad just picked up an SC400 in pretty good condition with 60k on a new engine and high 100ks on the chassis for $4200. We had to put about about $900 into it to get it back to good condition but that's a whole lot less than MKIV N/As are going for around here if you can even find them.

Keros

Canadian Bacon
Mar 16, 2007
Calgary
I'd agree with the SC400... the 1UZ is even more durable than a 2JZ, stock for stock. Do some reading on the crazy buggers that tune them, those engines are insane. Who puts 6-bolt mains in a 4.0L V8? Seriously? It's an engine designed from the ground up to be reliable, indestructable, smooth, and a joy to drive. Which sounds like the kind of thing you're looking for... reliable and a joy to drive.

Good luck!

tissimo

Stock is boring :(
Apr 5, 2005
Melbourne, FL
Keros;1071530 said:
I'd agree with the SC400... the 1UZ is even more durable than a 2JZ, stock for stock. Do some reading on the crazy buggers that tune them, those engines are insane. Who puts 6-bolt mains in a 4.0L V8? Seriously? It's an engine designed from the ground up to be reliable, indestructable, smooth, and a joy to drive. Which sounds like the kind of thing you're looking for... reliable and a joy to drive.

Good luck!

yea those engines last forever

DonS1mpson

Black Supramacist.
Mar 19, 2006
England!
So you're saying go for the 1UZ over the 1JZ for what my dad needs?

With the condition that MK3s are in these days, I might end up with a soarer myself. Same price as a MK3 with more power and a hell of a lot less rust.

While on the subject, does anybody have any bright ideas as to why this doesn't work, and if the worst came to the worst and the turbos were gone, would it make it make a 100 mile journey on the freeway?

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/lexus-soarer-...hash=item190222799805&_trksid=p3286.m14.l1318

It's hella tempting :D.

Quin

Trans killer
Dec 5, 2006
Columbus, IN
Seriously, just buy that one. Twins aren't that expensive, or you could go single, or you sell the 1J for how much you paid for the whole car lol

DonS1mpson

Black Supramacist.
Mar 19, 2006
England!
Stop tempting me, lol.

Will it be whether or not It will be able to make it the 100 mile journey back to London is my only concern right about now. Flatbedding it isn't really an option.