Sawblade stripping

cry4me_sky

Apr 28, 2007
selah
ok so i saw a few threads about stripping our stock sawblades, which i decided to do.

i got the blue can of aircraft paint remover and used ilt like the threads described. they said to leave it on for 2-3 minutes and thaqt the paint would come right off. well after 3 minutes i started scraping the paint off with a paint scraper, it was coming off hard so i decided to put more of the paint stripper on it. i waited like 15 minutes and it didnt make much of a difference, soooooo, did you guys have this problem?

advice?

bty i got almost all of the flat middle part of the sow stripped and it looks really good, it just took forever and now its dark outside.

crazysupra2JZ

Nov 16, 2006
Georgia
i used the stuff in the aerosol can, got most of it off, just a few places where i had to use a razor blade. i also used a flapper wheel to get the machining gooves off. the aircraft paint stripper kinda worked, made a big mess, and it BURNS...

what i had discovered, when you finally get down to polishing the wheel, if that's what you're doing, apply some mothers polish and sand it with 1000 grit paper, then buff off the polish, amazing shine.

cry4me_sky

Apr 28, 2007
selah
i wonder why mine is coming off so hard

did you get the paint out of all of the sides of the fins (or whatever you call them) ?

ForcedTorque

Join the 92 Owners Group
Jul 11, 2005
Satsuma, Alabama, United States
When your aircraft remover runs out, and it will at this pace, go to Advanced Auto (if you have it there). They have a comparable product for about $5 a can. It worked better for me, and was a lot cheaper. I too started with an $11 can of aircraft remover. I sprayed mine on, let sit for 15+ minutes, and sprayed it off with a hose. The trouble ares, I used a plastic scrub pad out of the kitchen resembling a brillo pad. You just better wear some good gloves if you do that.

mkthree92

Supramania Contributor
Jan 21, 2007
AL
Had the wheels been repainted before you stripped them? I stripped my 5 spokes and it came off very easily with the stock paint, so I imagine it shouldn't be any different with the sawblades. I ended up having to strip the paint I put on afterwards and it was a lot harder to get off than the stock paint.

I used the Aerosol Aircraft Stripper as well, and with the stock paint it came off in like 30 seconds. But it took a lot longer with the other paint (used 2 cans to strip stock paint, had to use 4 for the other paint), so I would just keep putting it, waiting, spraying off. You can also find a scraper or something to rough up the paint to get it off better.

I would keep trying to scuff up, let the strip sit on a few minutes, and repeat until it comes off. Just don't forget and come back later with it still on because I saw a pic of some that had been left on too long (maybe 30 min) and the wheels were really messed up.

As far as the fins, most of the pictures I've seen have had just the outer portion stripped. A lot of the little fins have been left alone or painted, so I really can't answer that, but I'd be interesting in knowing too as my bro in law is going to run a set of polished sawblades on his truck.

akito

Keep Laughing.You're Next
Jul 31, 2006
Springfield/Va
Aerosol Aircraft Stripper from autozone worked like a charm. After about a minute or two u can just use a hose and spray the wheel with water and the paint would just flush away.

suprabad

Coitus Non Circum
Jul 12, 2005
Down Like A Clown Charley Brown
Here's the trick:

When you spray on the paint remover, cover the wheel with tin foil (Reynolds Wrap or the like).

Works like a charm and makes all the paint go away. Also wait 15 minutes before washing off paint remover.

cry4me_sky

Apr 28, 2007
selah
so i have the flat part all scraped off but now it needs sanding. im using 400 and then 1500 because those are the only two that i have here tinight to use.

in the grooves though there is still some paint and the metal looks darker under it.

so tim foil huh? ok
i guess ill try tommorrow.

any sanding/polishing tips would be really cool.thx

jsnowman76

In need of another supra
Oct 17, 2006
Elk grove, CA
I ended up using Jasco, the paint stripper from home depot it worked very well after 10 min

be sure to wear chemical resistent gloves thought it can and will burn your skin.

for the hard to get areas, I used a drill with an attachment brush.

make sure to have on some goggles too.

ValgeKotkas

Supramania Contributor
Apr 14, 2006
Over the pond
What did I: Removed paint (stripper didn't work perfectly and my blades were damaged, so I used flapper wheels or some sort to remove paint), then 400, 600, 800, 1000, 1200, 1500 sandpapers, steel wool, bigger grade polish, smaller grade polish, Mother's Meg number 85 polish. (centercaps didn't need anything actually:))
Result:
p820725_1.jpg

p820725_2.jpg

Now just need some spacers :D

aidanair

Cops Love Me
Aug 27, 2007
Marlboro
cry4me_sky said:
so i have the flat part all scraped off but now it needs sanding. im using 400 and then 1500 because those are the only two that i have here tinight to use.

in the grooves though there is still some paint and the metal looks darker under it.

so tim foil huh? ok
i guess ill try tommorrow.

any sanding/polishing tips would be really cool.thx

i did this as well.. but my center caps are now a different color (alloy colored) any fix for this.. i obv doubt i can strip them lol

cuel

Supramania Contributor
Jan 8, 2007
Baytown, Texas
Meh, I just stripped off the worn clear coat, buffed them out, washed them, and recleared them. Looked as good as new, and didn't have to worry about polishing them all the time to keep them from getting dull.

p5150

ASE and FAA A&P Certified
Mar 31, 2005
Central Idaho
A tip for you all:

Use some Glisten PC by POR 15 to coat your polished wheels. It is a catalyzed clear coat that will not yellow like spray laquer.

Aluminum oxidizes and you have to polish it to keep it shiny unless you brush this stuff on. It takes about 2 days to cure but its some stout shit.