San antonio

1988ma70supra

Oct 2, 2007
San Antonio, Texas, United States
I had a problem with my timing too :nono: My "awesome" Fidanza adjustable cam gears failed on me:aigo: it was making an intermitten tapping sound in the head. I parked it and finally took peoples advice and got me a DD. I found that the exhaust side cam gear had nearly completely broken so the timing would go back and forth hence the intermittent tapping. I put my factory gears back on and problem solved. :icon_bigg

slopra

Formerly tsavenged
Jan 15, 2010
San Antonio, TX
What's up guys, anyone got some progress??

I need some help figuring out my break up issue..brand new plugs gapped at .022", coils are good no cracks, I opened up the ecu to check the caps for leaks and they're all good. I'm just running stock boost
I'm stumped...I pulled my ecu to reset it so it'll relearn, i'll be putting it back in tomorrow morning. I don't think that's gonna help though
RPM gauge doesn't work but if I had to guess it breaks up bad from ~4.5k and up
Any ideas?

This is on the SC btw

Suprapowaz!(2)

Apr 10, 2006
San Antonio, Tx.
justbeinfrank, valve cover gasket is the only thing I can think of. If you over tighten the bolts you can pinch it out of place and oil could possibly leak by. Just guessing here.

Suprapowaz!(2)

Apr 10, 2006
San Antonio, Tx.
Travis, maybe one of your coils is going out??? Fatigue in the upper RPM range? Would you happen to know anybody with a 1J that could help you swap over known good ignition parts to try and single out the problem? Are you getting and CEL codes?

slopra

Formerly tsavenged
Jan 15, 2010
San Antonio, TX
Pretty much the entire ignition system is identical to the 2j so I just gotta find anyone with a jz motor if it comes down to that. I have some 2j coils but they are slightly cracked. I guess I could tape those up/epoxy them/paint em clear nail polish. But I've been doubting coils bring the issue since it is very common for them to crack way before failing but I guess that's always a possibility
Also the coil pack connectors are all loose and falling apart maybe they aren't making a solid connection. I'm going to Toyota today to get new connector housings and rebuilding them

And no cel

S.A. supra

Feb 15, 2009
Buda, Texas
I had that problem on my 1j it would break up real bad at 3500 rpms. New coil packs fixed it.

I also rewired my coil packs, and bought new clips on my 2jzgte. Both wires and clips were brittle..

Last edited:

slopra

Formerly tsavenged
Jan 15, 2010
San Antonio, TX
Ok cool I just ordered new clips. And maybe I'll try these 2J coils I have, they have a very small crack in each coil but even driftmotion recommends heat shrinking them and they should be good to go. Mine have about 80k on them idk the mileage on my 1J coils

1988ma70supra

Oct 2, 2007
Hey guys I'm gonna be selling a few parts i no longer need and thought id give you guys a heads up before i posted on the for sale section. It will save me on the shipping as i could meet up with you guys half way :icon_razz I have a new Mishimoto radiator as well as a new fiberglass Gracer whale tail spoiler replica from Shineautoproject. Both are new and still in the box and havent been installed or anything. I'm looking to get $250 for the radiator and $150 for the wing. I also have a polished 3000 intake pipe i will let go for $40obo. Ill put up some pics on here tommorow

1988ma70supra

Oct 2, 2007
The radiator is for a 5 speed. Some people did have issues with them, I was one of them. The problem with them was that they were too thick if you were using the factory clutch fan and factory shroud. When the clutch fan would engage under heavy acceleration the plastic fan blades flex a bit and because of the thickness it would catch the radiator core and cause a leak. People running without a fan shroud didnt seem to have the issue probably because the air flowing through wasnt directed through one specific point so it didnt make enough suction to cause a failure. If your gonna be running electric fans you wont have to worry about the issue since you wouldnt have the stock fan anyway. Aside from this i didnt notice any fitment issues as far as mounting holes or anything else for that matter. Mishimito has either way addressed the issue and made corrections to the radiator but the one I'm selling is probably not the corrected one (ill measure the one on my car and this one tomorrow to let you guys know for sure)

san supra

May 21, 2009
san antonio
idk if your running the ngk laser platinum plug but you should be if your car is anywhere as stock as mine.

its what the book calls for and it is definitely what my supra loves!

san supra

May 21, 2009
san antonio
no i was inside, kinda like the truman show! lol

it was in a parking lot behind discount tire at vancejackson and 410. had to used up that old rubber somehow!

Rufus my mom rearended a guy and messed up my brothers hood and headlight assembly. would you like to try to fix it and make some side money or send me to a shop.
it doesnt look bad but im no pro.

satx88supra

Aug 16, 2009
San Antonio
Hey Rufus,
You ever get that tire situation handled? Still have mine if you want them. Car is gonna be on stands for at least until mid january. Planning on getting new rims and tires by then plus finish off my lowering springs and blistein shocks. So the plan is to be legal and running by my birthday in jan.

Suprapowaz!(2)

Apr 10, 2006
San Antonio, Tx.
Like I mentioned before, I never turn anything down but my collar. I was looking into some tires at discount tire, but I need to hold back a little for the holidays, and the month of Jan. Some important days in that month for me as well. I give you a call soon. Thanks again.