Safe without power steering?

AdrenalineOD

One helluva lucky noob
Jan 14, 2010
Napa, California, United States
Pump craps all the fluid within minutes but my week is so busy I literally have not even a half hour of daylight to try and diagnose it (much less fix it) but I have a lot of driving to do. I'm seeing that cutting the ps belt will revert it to manual steering and not destroy the pump as it's empty. BUT - then I see the horror stories of these cars' steering locking up and sending them into trees or worse, other cars. Is the MKIII (7mgte) an exception or equally dangerous with dry/cut power steering?

DaShady1

Jan 18, 2011
Los Angeles
I have been pushing my 87turbo hard with no PS since last september, so far i haven't had any problems. Its just not gonna be easy to make a turn, while roll'n real slow.

Poodles

I play with fire
Jul 22, 2006
Fort Worth, TX
Without looping the lines on the rack, you're pushing fluid through the entire system, making it MUCH harder than manual steering.

AdrenalineOD

One helluva lucky noob
Jan 14, 2010
Napa, California, United States
I don't care how hard it is, I'm pretty strong. All that concerns me is whether or not it is safe for the car. Do the lines need to be looped to keep the rack from eventually seizing and locking or is it alright as is? I took a quick peek under the hood and saw fluid squirting out the rubber part of what I suspect is the high-pressure line, just above the lower/pre-IC piping. From what I've read this replacement seems to cost several hundred dollars and take several hours AND require partial removal of the rack. Do you suggest I just cut the belt and muscle it until I can get this fixed?

Poodles

I play with fire
Jul 22, 2006
Fort Worth, TX
If the rack goes dry, then you'd be in trouble. Also, the steering assembly isn't meant to take those kinds of forces, IIRC it can crack the housing.

Replacing the hardline isn't several hundred dollars, but it is a bit of a pain. Just know if you do get in a wreck you might be found at fault...

toyotavince

gear slammer
Jan 20, 2011
socal
you should be fine. i took the ps belf off on my car cause of the same problem(leaking from somewhere). i peronaly like it better, the steering feels tighters like a beemer. compared to that soft ass cadillac power streering that comes on there stock

zby67

Nov 15, 2010
Texas
iv been driving my supra for 5 yrs with out PS because my rack and pinion leaks PSF so i just cut the belt and haven bought a new one because iv been working on the 87 and was dirt poor when i got my 86.5 lol

Dylan JZ

一番 King
Oct 18, 2007
湾岸せん
Poodles;1666167 said:
:: facepalm ::

haha, I agree.. but to be fair, my '87 doesn't have PPS, and the light steering at high speeds is scary as hell, so much so that I have considered going manual (mustang rack) quite a few times. That is indeed different from what the majority of others are suggesting here though.

89nasupra

Sugar, Water, Purple
Apr 8, 2008
Lafayette, Louisiana, United States
Changing the pressure line is not all that hard and can be picked up at your local parts house. I how ever have been driving with out power steering for about a year now because I don't have the bracket for the reservoir. But for you a flashlight and a couple of tools and you should be able to change it in about an hour or so.

CyFi6

Aliens.
Oct 11, 2007
Phoenix
www.google.com
Poodles;1665991 said:
Without looping the lines on the rack, you're pushing fluid through the entire system, making it MUCH harder than manual steering.

I never understood this theory, but have heard it many times. Please explain. When I raise the front wheels off the ground, and turn the wheel left to right, there is extremely little drag to keep the wheels from turning. Fluid is moving through the rack/system as it would with the wheels on the ground. My lines are not looped, it's not hard to turn at all. The little extra drag seems extremely marginal, doesn't make sense that it would make it "much harder" to turn.

89nasupra

Sugar, Water, Purple
Apr 8, 2008
Lafayette, Louisiana, United States
CyFi6;1666235 said:
I never understood this theory, but have heard it many times. Please explain. When I raise the front wheels off the ground, and turn the wheel left to right, there is extremely little drag to keep the wheels from turning. Fluid is moving through the rack/system as it would with the wheels on the ground. My lines are not looped, it's not hard to turn at all. The little extra drag seems extremely marginal, doesn't make sense that it would make it "much harder" to turn.

It keeps some fluid in the system and trash from getting in the rack and causing it to bind and or fail completely.

Poodles

I play with fire
Jul 22, 2006
Fort Worth, TX
CyFi6;1666235 said:

Compare it to a car with a real manual rack or the lines looped and the difference is very apparant.

Also keep in mind the gear ratio and steering wheel size isn't really suited for manual steering, not to mention weight and tire size...

RazoE

Boobs/Boost, my favorite
Jun 13, 2006
Los Angeles
www.cafepress.com
zby67;1666138 said:
iv been driving my supra for 5 yrs with out PS because my rack and pinion leaks PSF so i just cut the belt and haven bought a new one because iv been working on the 87 and was dirt poor when i got my 86.5 lol

well there's your problem, you're supposed to use ATF, not PSF..

CyFi6

Aliens.
Oct 11, 2007
Phoenix
www.google.com
Poodles;1666248 said:
Compare it to a car with a real manual rack or the lines looped and the difference is very apparant.

Also keep in mind the gear ratio and steering wheel size isn't really suited for manual steering, not to mention weight and tire size...

I can completely understand that steering wheel size/rack ratio makes a big difference, but its the other part I don't understand.

I don't have any real life comparison but I just don't understand the reason that lines looped makes steering much easier than full system in tact minus pump drive belt. If I can turn my steering wheel back and forth so easily with the wheels off the ground, how can the fluid in the system be causing so much resistance? Just doesnt make sense maybe I am missing something.