Safe to exceed max PSI of pressure gauge?

CyFi6

Aliens.
Oct 11, 2007
Phoenix
www.google.com
Im interested in adding a small 1.5" oil pressure gauge to my engine bay for my new build. Would be nice to have one to glance at and make sure oil pressure is good. I really want the large low PSI range so I can look at the idle pressure of the 7m (will be around 10 PSI), so I don't want a gauge that loses precision with a higher max PSI. I know that oil pressure when cold can go above 60 PSI, so my question is if I used this gauge, would it be damaged when pressure exceeds 60 PSI?
http://www.toolmarts.com/interstate-pneumatics/IP-G2101-060.html

CyFi6

Aliens.
Oct 11, 2007
Phoenix
www.google.com
Ya I used to have one but I really don't want another gauge in the cockpit I want to keep it simple inside. I had a mech gauge in the engine bay for a while and liked it that way, but just looking for something smaller and more precise at a lower psi range.

CyFi6

Aliens.
Oct 11, 2007
Phoenix
www.google.com
jetjock;1807630 said:
That's a bourdon tube gage. Check around and you'll find the answer.
Thanks, didn't take long. "The maximum operating pressure should not exceed 75% of the full scale range. If a gauge is not selected considering these criteria, it may result in fatigue of the Bourdon tube." Guess I will keep looking or settle for a larger scale.

te72

Classifieds Moderator
Staff member
Mar 26, 2006
WHYoming
Does this apply to all mechanical gauges? If so, mine might have suffered a bit of fatigue. It's a 100psi gauge, and cold oil pressure hits around 83-84psi before the relief valve opens up. Never drive the car that cold, but still I wonder if the gauge has been damaged.