SAFC Without Wideband

Brady

Feb 4, 2007
Bay Area
www.nbhq.net
I picked up a SAFC for relatively cheap, but I'm also pretty stock for the most part (mods listed in sig) I have no other fuel mods so I'm wondering if I should even bother keeping/installing the SAFC or if I should just sell it.

The main reason I would keep it is to tune out running rich in between shifts since my BOV is vented to atmosphere. And maybe gaining some mpg in 5th gear cruising

Any input is appreciated.

adampecush

Regular Supramaniac
May 11, 2006
Edmonton
sell it. if you want to get rid of the richness in between gears, re-route your BOV. At cruising, ECU adjustments will un-do any adjustments the AFC makes.

If you plan on upgrading injectors/afm, sure, keep it around; it won't do you much good stock though.

MK3Brent

Very expensive....
Aug 1, 2005
Greensboro and Greenville NC
I'd keep it, buy a wideband, then tune your WOT areas.
Re-route your BOV (you probably won't no matter what) until you go MAP.

In the meantime, just learn what adjustments do what and experiment.

supraguru05

Offical SM Expert: Suspension & Vehicle Dynamic
SM Expert
Dec 16, 2005
louisville ky
MK3Brent;1280587 said:
I'd keep it, buy a wideband, then tune your WOT areas.
Re-route your BOV (you probably won't no matter what) until you go MAP.

In the meantime, just learn what adjustments do what and experiment.

i have a lc-1 and am going to install a safc 2 soon to tune my WOT points only. i dynoed the car and it was pig rich (around 10:1) even with everything stock. so keep it but get a wideband. you should be able to have it adjust only high throttle points so your cruise is still controlled by the stock ecu.

SySt

Mar 30, 2005
Burnsville, Minnesota
I agree on keeping it. You can get a digital guage and LC-1 setup from Innovate for about $230, so it's not too expensive. If all you are going to do is lean out the WOT you really won't need any other fuel modifications.

gaboonviper85

Supramania Contributor
Jan 13, 2008
Northeast Philly
keep it so atleast you have it....never know when you may stumble on a lex afm, walboro fuel pump, 550 injectors and a fuel pressure regulator....