Safc 2 tuning question 87T 7M

the t3d

P B4 A
Sep 30, 2006
Titusville, FL
OK, so here is my concern. I have had my supra tuned on a dyno a while back. I have an safc 2, aem wideband, and all other supporting mods to properly be running. So, I just realized that my throttle percentage points are at the default of 10% LO and and 50% HI. Which means it was tuned at those throttle points.
I had been running on a few vacuum leaks that was causing me to lean out a bit. When I had it tuned, I noticed that just the high throttle was tuned, and it was leaning out on slow acceleration but was fine it went WOT. So, I was compensating the leaning out of just slowly adding fuel to the low throttle setting. Everything was working out just fine.
After I fixed EVERY vacuum/boost leak, I went to have it re-tuned on the dyno and my power went down from 400rwhp with vacuum leaks to 377rwhp. Needless to say, I was very puzzled. One thing that I did notice was the fact that I wasn't getting into full boost until 4800rpms and it was laggy spooling up. So, what my brain has finally figured out is that I need to start from scratch and re-tune this bad boy with the safc2 before I waste the money on a turbo rebuild(overspooling?).
I've been slowly dialing down the percentages on the low throttle setting from when I set them when I had the vacuum leaks, and seriously noticed some hard acceleration change which really was the thing that got me thinking...maybe the fuel I'm adding in the low throttle setting is affecting the overall powerband?
So, I've read that the LO setting should be around 68-69 and the HIGH around 70 or so. What I'm afraid of is resetting the throttle points because it will be such a drastic change from 10 and 50 to 68 and 70, and it throwing off all the numbers that are previously logged in for the HIGH throttle setting, and it leaning out and possibly doing some damage. I've continued to slowly dial the low throttle percentages to kind of ease the transition of shooting back to zero. Cause it hiccups a little after I make adjustments and then slowly gets better.
Should I just pay to get it re-tuned from scratch and with new throttle points or should I try this by street tuning it? I've done everything pretty much myself on this car. I have the knowledge and capability of learning and understanding this fun stuff, but the thought of it leaning out on me while trying I'm tuning this thing make me cringe.
I do apologize for the length, but I wanted you to know the whole backstory. So, let me know what you guys think. THANKS!

kelson

Apr 17, 2009
Socorro, NM
Hey I don't have a lot of advice for you, but one thing I do know is that you want you're low rpm AFR to be lean. close to 14.7 as you can get it as I understand. having really rich mixtures inhibits turbo spool. so it should be pretty lean till you hit boost. my personal opinion would be to do it yourself. It probably wont be as perfect as if you had 10hr of dyno time but it would be more fun(for me) get a stethoscope and learn how to use it to avoid knock.

the t3d

P B4 A
Sep 30, 2006
Titusville, FL
Hey man. Any reply is appreciated. Yea I am sure I would have a blast doing it too, but I just want a little more reassuring input/direction before I start going crazy over my local bridge lol. Man if this is the cause to my power loss, I am gonna be so happy. It will feel like a new car!

kelson

Apr 17, 2009
Socorro, NM
I believe it could be. my brother in law has a TT300zx and it used to have a very bad tune. it was idling around 10-11 no joke. anyways after leaning it out it was much more responsive and felt alot faster.

the t3d

P B4 A
Sep 30, 2006
Titusville, FL
Yea I think the added fuel is overcompensating from it did have the vacuum leak. I just never changed it back, so the computer is probably always fighting it. Poor girl.