s2000

vCo2v

Jun 10, 2011
Tacoma
I've enjoyed and love the mk3 that I have. I love it's rarity, the torque from the 7m. I've gotten it to breathe well and the stock turbo spools nicely with the upgrade intercooler.

However I'm concerned with pushing it and fully enjoying the car as I have some hoses/belts/ and overall I want to install studs for piece of mind.

My supra is an automatic and planned on doing a manual swap

However I've been reading a lot about s2000s. Have yet to test drive one. Could anyone help me shed light and compare the two for me in terms of maintaining, fun factor.

I've learned a lot about working on the 7m and it seems the s2000 might be easier to work on and maintain.

I've come to the realization that I really don't need that much power to get to 70mph. I barely need to push the supra to get there.

Would I enjoy the s2000 more? I'm at a point where I'm debating if I should pour more money into the supra or just get an s2000

Sep 7, 2009
Cambridge
If you are more than say, 5'11" and/or 200lbs, then the car is too small....

From my memory

MkiiiAllDay

Jul 19, 2013
orange, CA
It should be easier to take care of in my opinion cuz the na nature of the s2000, it doesn't have added stress a turbo has on a 7m, and I think the s2000 has more parts readily available....that's just how I feel about it, to each his own

Silver MK3

Jan 24, 2011
Madison, AL
Go test drive one. You may find that you don't fit, hate the interior, love the interior, fit like a glove, etc. Start there and that should help your decision greatly.

vCo2v

Jun 10, 2011
Tacoma
#04;2044569 said:
If you are more than say, 5'11" and/or 200lbs, then the car is too small....

From my memory

lucky me i'm 5'6 asian 160lbs so form fitting isn't much of a concern. I think the Japanese kind of built it with my frame in mind lol

Yeah all signs from research point to test driving the s2000

Just the biggest downfall is security on that thing. I love how I don't have to worry about someone breaking into my car to steal parts to fit into their other toyota's/lexus. Something a Honda owner has to worry about.

The other downfall is I'll probably miss the low end torque from the 7m. And that spool and bypass sound. The other negative is the rarity of owning a classic supra.

Its like 55/45 leaning more towards just keeping the supra.

MkiiiAllDay

Jul 19, 2013
orange, CA
Supras, are still being stolen, or should I say all cars are, and if it looks good to a thief's eye, then it's proly worth stealing to them no matter the parts or car.

But yes, you go s2k, you lose that boost fun.....you could go full build and turbo the s2k?

Backlash2032

Sep 20, 2010
Nebraska
I wouldn't really be worried about fitting into an s2000. I'm 6'1" and I fit into a Miata. Only just, but its comfortable I suppose. First drive I did with it was a 2.5 hour road trip.

I don't think you have to worry about people stealing your S2000. From what I can tell, thieves are usually after pieces of shit... a Civic with a B18C5 swap, yeah, leave that downtown and it'll be gone in a heartbeat. Biggest advice I can say with whatever you end up owning.. Get a good security system. It's worth it.

The S2k will be VASTLY more reliable. It barely makes any power, and doesn't make enough torque to hurt a small child, let alone a block of cast aluminum. It will handle way different than a Supra. It will be faster and more nimble than a Supra, stock for stock, through the twisties. Hell, even straight line, stock for stock, is pretty comparable. They were both mid 6 second 0-60 cars from the factory.

With that being said, I would much rather have a Supra than an S2000. My Girlfriend already has a Miata for the roadster feel, and the Supra will undoubtedly feel more well built. There's nothing in this world that sounds like a turbo'd 7M. There's nothing in this world that FEELS like a Turbo'd 7M. Yes, it will try you. Yes, it will break down on you. But its a hell of a car for not a lot of money. It's getting old, things break, it happens. The S2000 will get there sometime too. You just have to deal with it. There's nothing like cruising down main street with everybody wondering "Wow. What the hell is that? I've never seen one before". Or just surprising people with how well a 26 year old Toyota goes, whether it be in a straight line or in the twisties. To me, that's worth it. Plus, come on, a Supra looks way better than a S2000

Reactions: alcyon

vCo2v

Jun 10, 2011
Tacoma
Backlash2032;2044608 said:
I wouldn't really be worried about fitting into an s2000. I'm 6'1" and I fit into a Miata. Only just, but its comfortable I suppose. First drive I did with it was a 2.5 hour road trip.

I don't think you have to worry about people stealing your S2000. From what I can tell, thieves are usually after pieces of shit... a Civic with a B18C5 swap, yeah, leave that downtown and it'll be gone in a heartbeat. Biggest advice I can say with whatever you end up owning.. Get a good security system. It's worth it.

The S2k will be VASTLY more reliable. It barely makes any power, and doesn't make enough torque to hurt a small child, let alone a block of cast aluminum. It will handle way different than a Supra. It will be faster and more nimble than a Supra, stock for stock, through the twisties. Hell, even straight line, stock for stock, is pretty comparable. They were both mid 6 second 0-60 cars from the factory.

With that being said, I would much rather have a Supra than an S2000. My Girlfriend already has a Miata for the roadster feel, and the Supra will undoubtedly feel more well built. There's nothing in this world that sounds like a turbo'd 7M. There's nothing in this world that FEELS like a Turbo'd 7M. Yes, it will try you. Yes, it will break down on you. But its a hell of a car for not a lot of money. It's getting old, things break, it happens. The S2000 will get there sometime too. You just have to deal with it. There's nothing like cruising down main street with everybody wondering "Wow. What the hell is that? I've never seen one before". Or just surprising people with how well a 26 year old Toyota goes, whether it be in a straight line or in the twisties. To me, that's worth it. Plus, come on, a Supra looks way better than a S2000

Goddammit man... I agree that's the conclusion I'm coming to after a lot of long thinking. Thanks

akito

Keep Laughing.You're Next
Jul 31, 2006
Springfield/Va
hahahaha Backlash2032 ain't helping much is he. I have never driven one before but i'm sure they're both different cars. Only advice I can give you is to just go and test drive a few and analyze the differences yourself.