Ryans ma70 supra

ryansmith

Mar 25, 2012
New Zealand
slowmedown;1871846 said:
thats an awesome shifter. is it heavy?

Thats a first, thanks! no it is super light I designed it at work and a mate of mine machined it up out of Delrin.
Aprox 170mm tall, great feel when shifting I wouldn't go back, personally.

I found this on Facebook, got my photo taken at the event last weekend

p1871879_1.jpg

ryansmith

Mar 25, 2012
New Zealand
Not much of an update but I have been doing a few things, next on the list is to sort out the induction again and replace my cam covers, whilst doing that polish up my manifolds for the induction and change the spark plugs over.

New bits and pieces which I'll need to look into, alloy pipe needs a 15 degree bend to fit correctly

p1878025_1.jpg

And had a little scraping incedent on a mates driveway backing up it the good old "she's gonna clear" ... So bought a second hand front bumper which is in decent shape, stripped it down and cleaned it. Will be painted the same colour as the car and SCORE it came with the factory front lip which was split in a few places so sent it in to be plastic welded.

p1878025_2.jpg

Last edited:

ryansmith

Mar 25, 2012
New Zealand
Haven't had much to do on the car for a while but today I got out and got a few bits and pieces done, was great the whole family was out (father, mother and younger sister)

Had a crack at fixing the famous mk3 supra hatch leak, mine wasn't very bad but enough to get to me so here is what I did,
First I lifted up the boot seal to make sure there wasn't any bad bits where the water was getting in, all looked good. Removed the tail lights to find gaskets with a little bit of what seemed to be non setting sealer, so cleaned that away back to metal on both sides and they were surprisingly clean, replaced the gaskets and got my tail lights back on and the same with the boot trim.

p1887286_1.jpg

p1887286_2.jpg

That didn't take too long so my father and I got stuck in to replacing the spark plugs and the cam covers which have been waiting around for a long time. Replaced the gaskets also, cleaned up the manifold and the throttle body which awaits to be put back on as I need to replace the 12 cam cover bolts, thinking stainless allen key bolts which I will have a look at after work tomorrow.

p1887286_3.jpg

p1887286_4.jpg

p1887286_5.jpg

Was surprised to find the spark plugs at $42 each and platinum ones at $50 each thought that was a bit steep.

Last edited:

Jef

Jul 18, 2010
Belgium
ryansmith;1887286 said:
Was surprised to find the spark plugs at $42 each and platinum ones at $50 each thought that was a bit steep.

Thats expensive, they only cost 32$ over here and i can even get 40% discount on them.

nice car btw

ryansmith

Mar 25, 2012
New Zealand
REAper;1887399 said:
Thats expensive, they only cost 32$ over here and i can even get 40% discount on them.

nice car btw

Must just be the car I assume, the other few cars I have owned were around $7 each.
Thanks!

ryansmith

Mar 25, 2012
New Zealand
Tomorrow I'll be picking at a few parts from Samco for my induction, 60 degree 3" and a coupler for the AFM I plan to bracket off the strut mount. Should also have a few other updates soon.

I believe I have fixed the rear hatch leak so time will tell, that's the only thing letting the car down at the moment. Strut bar should also be here any day now from Cusco Japan.

ryansmith

Mar 25, 2012
New Zealand
snowman;1888638 said:
One of the cleanest Supra's I have ever laid eyes on. Your a great owner of that ride!

Why thank you, I see it as why ruin what I currently have and call it OCD or whatever but the truth is I clean her all round once or twice a week and set aside quite a bit of time for regular maintenance. I'm not your average 19 year old driver, I truly love this car.

Which reminds me, summer is coming up and unfortunately the car will be outside... I ordered a dash mat to protect the currently mint dash over the sunny period.

ryansmith

Mar 25, 2012
New Zealand
Today was successful, Samco 76mm 60 degree elbow, 76mm straight with expanded AFM side end, 81mm Samco straight for the AFM

p1888833_1.jpg

p1888833_2.jpg

Last edited:

snowman

Banned
Oct 12, 2012
Mpls
Does it really cost 107 dollars US for some oil over there for you guys? Not even including the labor hahah whoa. Cause, it doesn't make much sense at all? Can I see a receipt or somethin' thats f'd up man.

Even for gasoline, what here in MN in the middle of the USA, it's like 3.47 a gal. Over there, aren't you metric so it's like what, 3 liter's to a gal or so, a dollar something a liter? Litre whatever. If I paid 27 bucks for an oil filter I'd shoot myself in the head. In 2000 it was like .99 cents a gallon, in around 10 years it quadrupled in price. I've heard rumors in Mid-east it's still around .25 cents a gallon before it gets on the boat.

And on another note, screw that dash mat.....I've only drove american domestics. Plastic everywhere, but if you ask me, I'd be partial to placing any mat on my mint dash that might promote moisture or condensation and whatnot on cold nights. I just rock that "armor all" UV protectant crap and call it a day. I'd think, in my opinion, that 20 year old vinyl plastic mix has to breathe right or its going to bubble. Just my own views anyways. Sunshade, heck Id probably never use it cause I'd be too lazy personally.

Last edited:

ryansmith

Mar 25, 2012
New Zealand
snowman;1888860 said:
Does it really cost 107 dollars US for some oil over there for you guys? Not even including the labor hahah whoa. Cause, it doesn't make much sense at all? Can I see a receipt or somethin' thats f'd up man.

Even for gasoline, what here in MN in the middle of the USA, it's like 3.47 a gal. Over there, aren't you metric so it's like what, 3 liter's to a gal or so, a dollar something a liter? Litre whatever. If I paid 27 bucks for an oil filter I'd shoot myself in the head. In 2000 it was like .99 cents a gallon, in around 10 years it quadrupled in price. I've heard rumors in Mid-east it's still around .25 cents a gallon before it gets on the boat.

And on another note, screw that dash mat.....I've only drove american domestics. Plastic everywhere, but if you ask me, I'd be partial to placing any mat on my mint dash that might promote moisture or condensation and whatnot on cold nights. I just rock that "armor all" UV protectant crap and call it a day. I'd think, in my opinion, that 20 year old vinyl plastic mix has to breathe right or its going to bubble. Just my own views anyways. Sunshade, heck Id probably never use it cause I'd be too lazy personally.

$107 for petrol or oil and filter?

I'm around $120 for petrol, and yeah I can show some receipts for oil/filter.

Dash wise you could be right, I may look into that thanks for the ideas, even though that mat is on it's way I'll check it out and see how it fits and all first

snowman

Banned
Oct 12, 2012
Mpls
Well, I was talking about the oil price specifically because you mentioned it was between 60 and 80 dollars + 27 for filter. So I came to around 107 dollars for an oil change? No I was making more of a joke toward the receipt thing. But I guess I didn't add to the equation if you were a synthetic type oil guy. I know people like that stuff, and I know synthetic is more expensive than "regular" oil. I think some place called walmart here had a rebate deal going for 5 quarts, get 35.00 back in rebates. I know I'm a cheap person, but was just curious about how its even 60 bucks over there.

ryansmith

Mar 25, 2012
New Zealand
Oh yes right, yeah I buy the best oil for my car even though the not so good stuff is only $10 NZD cheaper roughly. I guess you get what you pay for over here and US prices definitely seem a lot better and in general "fair priced" it's crazy some of the prices over here.

I managed to install my new parts AFM to throttle body this morning will get some pics up when the weather clears, leak in the hatch area wise it's dry so I'm very happy.

snowman

Banned
Oct 12, 2012
Mpls
Yes my weather strip is fading away in the trunk as well. On the passenger side of the trunk too, small leak in this heavy rain. Gotta get some new seals as well.

Nice intake pipes there Ryan, very cool. Im sure that Samco hose is tops, so no worry's for a long time about the quality of rubber and the seal. Once again, jellin.

ryansmith

Mar 25, 2012
New Zealand
snowman;1889139 said:
Yes my weather strip is fading away in the trunk as well. On the passenger side of the trunk too, small leak in this heavy rain. Gotta get some new seals as well.

Nice intake pipes there Ryan, very cool. Im sure that Samco hose is tops, so no worry's for a long time about the quality of rubber and the seal. Once again, jellin.

Do you think it's the weather stripping ? I first figured it was either the tail light gaskets or the actual boot seal... turns out it's the tail light gaskets in my case but I fixed that up and so far it hasn't leak into the hatch area. That's funny because my passenger side is where the leak is also. The straight coupler is also Samco, quality is apparent in the silicone comparing it to the other silicone parts I have lying around, engine bay is getting tidier and tidier each little job I do, a steam clean would be the way to go for me I think with the 20 odd years of grime built up in places.

Will you be getting the weather stripping from Toyota ? let me know how you get on with that

1986.5 SUPRA 7M-GE

Jan 25, 2012
Colorado
ryansmith;1837573 said:
Thoughts on taking out the A/C?

I have been thinking about it recently as the A/C does not work now. I am more certain than not that it is just the refrigerant. I never use the air conditioning because where I live the outside temperature doesn't reach over 20 degrees and coming into winter.
Has anyone done this? or have a rough number on what the compressor and the piping weigh all up? I may take it all out to loose a bit of weight and at the same time I will be able to replace the radiator.

Did you ever end up doing this? Or figuring out the weight?

ryansmith

Mar 25, 2012
New Zealand
1986.5 SUPRA 7M-GE;1890022 said:
Did you ever end up doing this? Or figuring out the weight?

Hey Eric, just noticed my photos were unavailable at the top of this page, I uploaded them again.

Yes I took it all out in the engine bay and blanked it off at the firewall, to get the components firewall back the dash has to be removed which I won't be doing but if I do it will be a little later on. The A/C heater core that sits in front of the radiator (towards the front bumper) still hasn't came out but will come out once I replace my front bumper, So yeah it's almost all out other than firewall back. I can weight all the components this evening and update you but it clears a lot of room in the engine bay and clears everything up. Wasn't working when I bought the car and where I live the temperatures are no higher than 25 degrees C in summer and in winter it's around 15 degrees C during the day.

I see it as something I won't really need/if I did use it I would be using a lot more fuel so to get rid of it was my option. If the windscreen fogs up over winter months I just wipe the windscreen down with a microfibre cloth or spray anti fog solution on my windscreen once a month.

Will get back to you on this one as the core will weigh quite a bit by the looks of it.

1986.5 SUPRA 7M-GE

Jan 25, 2012
Colorado
ryansmith;1890026 said:
Hey Eric, just noticed my photos were unavailable at the top of this page, I uploaded them again.

Yes I took it all out in the engine bay and blanked it off at the firewall, to get the components firewall back the dash has to be removed which I won't be doing but if I do it will be a little later on. The A/C heater core that sits in front of the radiator (towards the front bumper) still hasn't came out but will come out once I replace my front bumper, So yeah it's almost all out other than firewall back. I can weight all the components this evening and update you but it clears a lot of room in the engine bay and clears everything up. Wasn't working when I bought the car and where I live the temperatures are no higher than 25 degrees C in summer and in winter it's around 15 degrees C during the day.

I see it as something I won't really need/if I did use it I would be using a lot more fuel so to get rid of it was my option. If the windscreen fogs up over winter months I just wipe the windscreen down with a microfibre cloth or spray anti fog solution on my windscreen once a month.

Will get back to you on this one as the core will weigh quite a bit by the looks of it.

Great idea with the intake, someone had also attatched a pod filter onto my AFM when bought so I will be tackling that as well. Best part is I can put that on the motor i'm rollin' with now and switch it over after the rebuild! Thanks! And that'd be great measuring the weight because my a/c works but it's on it's way out it squeals off and on when you try to turn it on, and I ride with the "275 a/c" lol in the summer months anyway, and bay room is always a plus.