Ryans ma70 supra

ryansmith

Mar 25, 2012
New Zealand
Tonight's progress, two coats of plastic primer, one heavy coat of regular primer and two coats of the car colour I got made up.

I still have either a light sand back then another coat and lacquer or wait and see how it turns out and lacquer over what you see. Very happy so far, still waiting on springs, shocks and sunshade.

Replacement mirror before

p1836173_1.jpg

After

p1836173_2.jpg

Got the two front mudguard / trim parts painted also

p1836173_3.jpg

Quick photo of the car, I got told these wheels come off a nissan? will be gone soon.

p1836173_4.jpg

Last edited:

ryansmith

Mar 25, 2012
New Zealand
Thanks for letting me know, I wonder if anyone else has put these on their supra? Prev owner must have changed them over, I wouldn't mind some work emotion kai's in dark silver or the standard five spoke supra wheels

ryansmith

Mar 25, 2012
New Zealand
Thanks, I noticed you removed your tints on the first page of your thread, how come you did that? I have been thinking about tinting the windows to protect the interior

slowma70

May 23, 2011
Orlando,FL
i removed them cause there were very old and they turned purple with the sun.. I will be getting new tints install around August..

ryansmith

Mar 25, 2012
New Zealand
Sounds good, I will hopefully get them done next week. Don't really want a dash mat but I think I'm going to have to get one to protect the dash as it's mint. Would rather have a mat up there than cracks!

suprarx7nut

YotaMD.com author
Nov 10, 2006
Arizona
www.supramania.com
ryansmith;1836497 said:
Sounds good, I will hopefully get them done next week. Don't really want a dash mat but I think I'm going to have to get one to protect the dash as it's mint. Would rather have a mat up there than cracks!

Could also get the perfectly clear UV protective tint and use a sunshade when you're parking the car. :)

PS, even though the tint is 100% clear, it's not legal in most states (maybe all) in the US. Not sure what your laws permit.

ryansmith

Mar 25, 2012
New Zealand
I live in New Zealand and there is a law for everything over here haha, 35% tints for cars maximum. Other trades vehicles like vans and some utes can be completely tinted out. What is the law in America?

I am using a sunshade at the moment to protect the dash it's doing it's job but I would like something more practical. Will keep in mind the clear UV tint though, thanks for that. Talking about this makes me want my rear sunshade to arrive that much more

ryansmith

Mar 25, 2012
New Zealand
Quick update, bought my sparco limited edition wheel from 06 today with a sparco horn button

p1836991_1.jpg

the boss, I will try buy a better one soon hopefully from sparco

p1836991_2.jpg

completed painting the front mud guards / front side skirt trim and installed

p1836991_3.jpg

wheel and boss in the car

p1836991_4.jpg

more to come...

Last edited:

ryansmith

Mar 25, 2012
New Zealand
The wheel was on a local site for $1 reserve, I was the highest bidder and it went for $116 NZD so maybe $91 USD? what a deal.

I will order the correct hub from sparco this week as the current one is not 100% correct, it doesn't house the existing cables and plugs correctly.
Other than that, it is great! mint condition, was on the previous owners project car since 06 that was never finished, they are $315 new.

ryansmith

Mar 25, 2012
New Zealand
dmp316;1837506 said:
very nice work. your Supra is in wicked good condition.

Thanks mate. All feedback is much appreciated, will have a very big update in the coming month keep an eye out on this thread

ryansmith

Mar 25, 2012
New Zealand
Thoughts on taking out the A/C?

I have been thinking about it recently as the A/C does not work now. I am more certain than not that it is just the refrigerant. I never use the air conditioning because where I live the outside temperature doesn't reach over 20 degrees and coming into winter.
Has anyone done this? or have a rough number on what the compressor and the piping weigh all up? I may take it all out to loose a bit of weight and at the same time I will be able to replace the radiator.

ryansmith

Mar 25, 2012
New Zealand
Got my tints sorted today, 35% all round "octane" black. They look smart, will get the sunshade on the car this Thursday, the supra will be going to it's first car meet also this coming Sunday, hopefully another mk3 will be there..

ryansmith

Mar 25, 2012
New Zealand
Okay so I wanted to be different so I made a custom gear knob using the software I use at my work.
I designed the whole thing down to the last radius, has the correct inner thread pitch ect and I copied the original gear knobs inner shape so it fits tight. Very happy with it!
The guy who made it for me works with Delrin on a daily basis on lathe and milling machines and makes any custom parts, charged me $100 NZD.

Here is the one off shifter.

p1839222_1.jpg

p1839222_2.jpg

p1839222_3.jpg

p1839222_4.jpg

Last edited:

ryansmith

Mar 25, 2012
New Zealand
So tomorrow is the big day of the supra's first car event, looking forward to it, I got a few things sorted out just in time, unfortunately my suspension gear has still not arrived so I'll be making my way there 4x4 style! I haven't posted pictures of the rear interior so here are some after I gave it a long clean this evening also fixed up a few things around the car.

First of all, My tinting is complete and I have the rear sunshade on

p1840459_1.jpg

p1840459_2.jpg

I noticed these while inspecting the rear, fixed both sides up and they now sit flush with the car again

p1840459_3.jpg

p1840459_4.jpg

Another photo of the new steering wheel and self designed shifter, by the way it gives the driver allot more leverage and gear changing is even more amazing

p1840459_5.jpg

I fixed the panel that sits under my hatch, the clips are broken and was screwed on before but I just replaced the screws for now

p1840459_6.jpg

And here is the rear, just as tidy as the front

p1840459_7.jpg

p1840459_8.jpg

Will hopefully have a better update soon but just doing the odd bits hear and there until my parts arrive. Oh also I bought a new clutch so that can go in sometime soon.

Last edited: