Rust issues: Is this too far gone to be worth while to fix?

steveyblack

Jun 21, 2007
Nj
Hey guys I knew I had a bit of rust in my car but since the car got put on the back burner for a few years so I could finish my degree, and the rust seemed to get worse since I last had everything apart. Below is some pictures of rust. As much as I love having everything OEM I think I may just get rid of my spare tire well with some ridged/dimpled sheet metal. However I see the rust is also at the spot weld points, I dont know if I could cut it out and just patch it. I dont want to half ass it but I feel like getting OEM sheet metal is going to be $$$. A part of me wants to pick up a shell from AZ and just deal with fadded paint and interiors rather then deal with rust.

any help would be very appreciated! thanks

hvyman

Dang Dude! No Way Man.
Staff member
Apr 17, 2007
Fullerton,CA
Could pull everything out nad sand blast the rust away and then fix it and spray some preventitive. Or look for another car and part that one out.

Sep 7, 2009
Cambridge
I'd probably take a better look prior to deciding, specifically the part of the quarter panel the rear bumper hides, and the part the rocker panel garnish/cap hides...

as well as where the rear subframe attaches to the floor.... mine required patches in all the mentioned areas...

also behind exhuast heatsheilds... these seem to like to trap moisture/hide rust, until they fall off....

tlo86

Ninja Editor 'Since 05'
Jul 24, 2005
Colorado
IJ.;2003691 said:
Just remember rust is like an iceberg, 75% unseen...

+1 all it takes is a shitty shop to lay down some bondo over bare metal and your car is a goner :)
-1 for maaco