running so rich it could be I have NFI what I'm doing

monkihead

driven to thrill
Jul 23, 2005
texas
off boost cruising no. if i give it more than half throttle it begins to peg rich as soon as boost kicks in.

monkihead

driven to thrill
Jul 23, 2005
texas
dbsupra90 said:
and how about boost leak as mentioned? did you inspect and pressure test the system?

btw, my v8's get 24 mpg and 19 mpg

my dads gets 5mpg on a good day. I tightened up everything again, but will do a pressure test in the morning.

rumptis

나는 제프가 당신을 사랑
Aug 16, 2005
North Vernon, IN
Ok, you have a boost leak. Check all your IC piping. The pips can crack and you could even have a hold in your IC.

It can be hard to track down so take your time but from everything you have said I'm sure that is your problem.

Last edited:

monkihead

driven to thrill
Jul 23, 2005
texas
On the drive to my dad's place this morning I got a huge clue that its a boost leak. I've never, ever been able to get 7psi @ 2k rpm in first gear. I've never had a boost leak like this before, so it sounds like i should replace all the pipes and couplers.

idoke

Sep 19, 2006
Sacramento,CA
Check your accordian hose. My supra ran rich because it was cracked, BADLY. I replaced it with another one and it ran great. But like you said, your best luck is to replace all pipes and couplers.

monkihead

driven to thrill
Jul 23, 2005
texas
I pressurized the system up to 7psi and heard a small hiss. I cranked it up to 20psi and it showed its' self. the throttle body to 3k pipe just gave way. It appeared to be a line in the molding. I replaced it and tried again. for kicks, I cranked it up to 40psi and no leaks. It has minor hesitation problems but I figure its from the fouled out plugs.

Thanks guys, its been a roller coaster ride from hell.

flight doc89

Registered Murse
Apr 21, 2006
Bessemer, Alabama, United States
monkihead said:
I pressurized the system up to 7psi and heard a small hiss. I cranked it up to 20psi and it showed its' self. the throttle body to 3k pipe just gave way. It appeared to be a line in the molding. I replaced it and tried again. for kicks, I cranked it up to 40psi and no leaks. It has minor hesitation problems but I figure its from the fouled out plugs.

Thanks guys, its been a roller coaster ride from hell.
lol, thats the same place mine cracked. hoorah on a problem fixed :D

Poodles

I play with fire
Jul 22, 2006
Fort Worth, TX
woooot, boost leak said on the first page...

I know, I have hardpies and was in denial, until I found the damn leak and sealed it...

only issue with boosted cars IMHO...

fcjoe58

Feb 1, 2014
rialto
When you guys say accordion do you guys mean intake tube for the cold side of the turbo? I'm having similar problem

7M4EVR

Oct 8, 2012
fah, fah away
fcjoe58;1989211 said:
When you guys say accordion do you guys mean intake tube for the cold side of the turbo? I'm having similar problem

Yes, get's brittle over time and this happens often..
accordian hose fail.JPG

Then things like this happen:
bent fins (2).JPG

fcjoe58

Feb 1, 2014
rialto
7M4EVR;1989221 said:
Yes, get's brittle over time and this happens often..
View attachment 71690

Then things like this happen:
View attachment 71691

Oh man i been running it with a big ass cut like 4 inches down the middle of that hose �� I just re did the timing and been diagnosis all day and your telling me it's a dam cut on the intake tube lol... I checked around all dealers they want 70 - 120 for it.... thanks guy