Running rich

Ron Jefferson

Jun 21, 2012
Virginia
When going up a hill or under any load the exhaust smell is awful. It literally brought tears to my eyes and I had to pull over. I got home and checked for codes and none were showing up. I know my exhaust needs replacing but should it be so awful smelling? The next thing I'm going to do is check for boost leak to see if thats the culprit. Any other suggestions? Thanks

Ron Jefferson

Jun 21, 2012
Virginia
Sadly no cat, the guy who had it before me cut it out. I'm going to get a new one. Would you recommend a afr gauge? I don't have any mods to speak of, its just a daily driver for now. I found a huge problem a few minutes ago. The piping for the air filter box had a huge hole in it. I'm going to replace that today. I have a feeling that will fix a good bit as it was bring in more air then was needed.

Poodles

I play with fire
Jul 22, 2006
Fort Worth, TX
Well, our cars tend to go very rich under boost, which would be under load. It could definately be worse if you have a boost leak.

BoostMonger

PUSH IT TO THE LIMIT
Sep 5, 2011
Shadows of Utah
They do run rich. And having no cat makes all that yummy stuff just flows out for you to smell. That's probably all it is. So I wouldnt worry man :D

Sent From My HTC One S using Tapatalk 2

Apr 10, 2008
South East USA
Check for exhaust leaks, mine would really be bad pulling up to the drivethru and idling in line. Look at the couplings before the resonator. That uncatalysed exhaust must be pumped out the back otherwise you're like a motorboat with fumes coming up and around at the leaks.

I wouldn't want to be the car behind me when I'm spooling cause yeah it will burn the eyes but I don't smell anything in my car. Only when I start up and then backup. I could tell you the exhaust of my sup with my eyes closed.

No codes is a good thing.

Ron Jefferson

Jun 21, 2012
Virginia
Yeah man. I was excited to see no codes lol. I fixed the intake hole and drove it about 20 miles getting on and off it, the fumes are noticable but they aren't as rich, its a more exhaust smell, doesn't smell so rich now. I have a buddy that is going to fix my exhaust. I bought a universal cat at autozone today for 49 dollars until I get my wifes student loan in order then I'm getting a full exhaust system. I don't want it to be loud just want it to flow better. I'm loving the car though. I'm going to the junkyard next week to try and find a manual tranny parts donor. Thats the next project.