Running a 2jzge on 1jz electronics??

dok33

My fuel pump precedes me
Apr 16, 2005
Austin, TX
www.cardomain.com
My son picked up a MKII that's set up for a 1jz that we're building for his first car. The PO blew the HG and only the bottom end remains in the car and since my son's footing the bill the budget is tight so we're looking at using a spare 2jzge I have in the garage vs. buying another 1jz (mom likes this option as well as we'd put it in NA and turbo later after he proves he's responsible enough). The car came with a Soarer harness and ECU installed as well as the igniter etc (coils are missing though) and I'm trying to figure out what options we have to get the GE up and running.

I've been reading up over on CNA-T about running the GE on GTE electronics but what I'm not sure of is how the 1jz ECU differs. On a very basic level it seems like running a GE on 1jz electronics would work much the same considering you can run a 1jzgte on 2jzgte electronics but I'm not 100% on the specifics of the cam and crank signals. My main question is whether the inputs/outputs from the 2jzge distributor would be compatible with the 1jz igniter and ECU as ideally I'd like to use as much of what we have as possible. It looks like most of the CNA-T guys running the 2jzgte ECU use the DS61/62 igniter with either the GE disty or vvti coils since the 2j coils don't fit under the NA intake manifold so if that's also the case with the 1jz we may need to pick up a different igniter which isn't a huge deal.

Any clarification/information would be appreciated, trying to work out all the specifics before we move forward with dropping in the 2jz!

Satan

Supramania Contributor
Mar 31, 2005
Tampa
Yeah, U need the GE ignitor. I'd also recommend that you just use a GE harness and ECU. Looks like there's a lot of wiring changes and I'd not recommend chopping the 1JZ harness, for that setup.

Both can be had for cheap. Is that a non-VVTi GE? I think I have a VVTi GE harness. May even have a GE ECU... I'll doublecheck.

hvyman

Dang Dude! No Way Man.
Staff member
Apr 17, 2007
Fullerton,CA
Would not work.

1jz has 2 cam sensors. and a crank sensor

injector sizing is different.

and iirc 2jzge has a variable intake.

better off using 2jzge or 7mge wiring and ecu

Satan

Supramania Contributor
Mar 31, 2005
Tampa
Talk about timing.... This guy "Ung Alex Ngofcukinway" just posted a box of GE ECUs, on teh FB group " ‎Supra's and Parts for Sale"... $25 each, plus shipping.

Easy choice, in my book.

dok33

My fuel pump precedes me
Apr 16, 2005
Austin, TX
www.cardomain.com
Thanks for the replies guys, I figured it wouldn't be that easy. It's a 93 GE motor, I've still got the harness from the one I put in my MKIII but think I sold the ECU so I'll check out that thread for sure just so we've got options.

Does the 2jzgte not have 2 cam sensors and a crank sensor as well? Figured some of the engine side plugs might be different between the 1j and 2j but I assumed since the 1jzgte and 2jzgte electronics are somewhat interchangeable they'd be similar. The guys over at club NA-T have successfully converted GEs to run on GTE electronics (thread) in a few different ways using the stock distributor as a trigger wheel for the IGT and other signals to the ECU and the DS62 (camry?) igniter to fire either the disty or coil on plug setups.

I'm still considering helping him out towards a replacement 1jz (mainly because I've always wanted to drive a 1j powered car), suppose I could disconnect the wastegates until he proves he can handle more power :)

hvyman

Dang Dude! No Way Man.
Staff member
Apr 17, 2007
Fullerton,CA
It could be done but it's not optimum if your not using a turbo. You will get better timing and proper fuel maps by using the na electronics.

My buddy has a 7m with 2j electronics but it's all turbo stuff.

1/2 harness are basically interchangeable with very small differences.

Another option for you would be to do a 1.5jx and use the na block with the 1j head and use all the 1j harness and Ecu. You will need a couple things to do it but that would prolly be your best bet.