RSR Race springs

nosuprayoua

Jan 4, 2010
hawaii
has anyone run these with an NA? i wanna change my suspension out for something nice and stiff. im currently asking around/researching but before i cross this off my list i wanna know if theyre compatible with an NA. i checked the site and it says that itll only work with a turbo model. im not exactly sure what a turbo would have to do with suspension but i could be stupid. any helpll do. thanks guys

nosuprayoua

Jan 4, 2010
hawaii
i guess this is directed to both of you, but how were they? were they stiff as hell or were they noticeably stiffer but still had a little give for bumps and such?

steven89

Jul 8, 2006
Houston, TX
nosuprayoua;1642565 said:
i guess this is directed to both of you, but how were they? were they stiff as hell or were they noticeably stiffer but still had a little give for bumps and such?

Dont think this was directed at me, but i also had these springs.

As far as stiffness goes, its about as stiff as id ever want for a daily driver/commuter. And they are DEFINITELY much stiffer than stock, definitely a NOTICEABLE difference. Like i said, theyre about as stiff as id want for a DD and i live in houston where the roads suck so they're not bad for shitty roads. The only thing i didnt like about em was the ride height, but that was because i didnt change the lil rubber pieces at the top of the spring so they were quite a bit lower than what i wanted.

nosuprayoua

Jan 4, 2010
hawaii
steven89;1642570 said:
Dont think this was directed at me, but i also had these springs.

As far as stiffness goes, its about as stiff as id ever want for a daily driver/commuter. And they are DEFINITELY much stiffer than stock, definitely a NOTICEABLE difference. Like i said, theyre about as stiff as id want for a DD and i live in houston where the roads suck so they're not bad for shitty roads. The only thing i didnt like about em was the ride height, but that was because i didnt change the lil rubber pieces at the top of the spring so they were quite a bit lower than what i wanted.
out here on maui we got shitty roads too, it sucks. thanks for all the help guys, i guess ill keep these springs in mind while i keep lookin 'round.

steven89

Jul 8, 2006
Houston, TX
Hahah They're really not as bad as i make em out to be. Heres a pic of what they looked like on my car after they settled, and BEFORE they killed the rubber bushings.

jrot

Apr 11, 2010
knob noster, MO
looks good! that pic just sold me on what i want....which rubber things are you talking about exactly? that way i can try to change them...also do they make a pillow ball mounts for our cars that arent on coil overs? and would that replace the rubber strut bushings?

steven89

Jul 8, 2006
Houston, TX
jrot;1642582 said:
looks good! that pic just sold me on what i want....which rubber things are you talking about exactly? that way i can try to change them...also do they make a pillow ball mounts for our cars that arent on coil overs? and would that replace the rubber strut bushings?

Look in that link V and its part 48157.
http://www.cygnusx1.net/Supra/Library/EPC/291420/catalog.aspx?F=4803&P=1
or directly to the part
http://www.cygnusx1.net/Supra/Library/EPC/291420/part.aspx?S=48157

As far as pillow ball mounts go, im not sure.

nosuprayoua

Jan 4, 2010
hawaii
@jrot-i think ive seen pillowball mounts for ma70's.
@steven89-what happened to the bushing? did they just get worn out over time? were they just old and decaying from the get go and the added stiffness wore it out faster?

steven89

Jul 8, 2006
Houston, TX
nosuprayoua;1642601 said:
@jrot-i think ive seen pillowball mounts for ma70's.
@steven89-what happened to the bushing? did they just get worn out over time? were they just old and decaying from the get go and the added stiffness wore it out faster?

What happened to mine? I just didnt change mine, when i shouldve and they looked pretty old/worn when i put my new springs on. The old ones worked for about 2-3 weeks then it pretty much was in multiple pieces, and the car was super slammed when they went; like i couldnt get a coke can under the front. The guy [forgot his forum name] i sold my springs to changed the bushings when he installed em. I doubt they add much stiffness though as they probably just preload the spring a little. But you gotta remember that the RSR race springs are linear.

7M-KDL;1642713 said:
you can buy tein pillows separate.

steven, whose two tone is that behind yours in the pic?

That two tone is JDMMA70's car he has a build thread and more pics posted up if you search his username.

Van

87t Hardtop
Mar 26, 2006
Oak Grove, OR 97267
I've been using the RSR racing springs for the past year and find they helped stablize the Supra when I'm going around the track. This summer I added Tanabe anti-sway bars, and now the roll is all but gone. As far as the roughness of the road goes, I've been running less air in my tires (28-30 psi is the range). It has helped when I DD the car, so it doesn't pound me. I'm using KYB GR2 shocks, which are valved well for the springs, in town. The tires are BF Goodrich KDW and stock sawblades this time of year. As far as the rubber vibration damper goes, I too expect it will fail, and when it does I'll replace it with polyurethane. Van

steven89

Jul 8, 2006
Houston, TX
nosuprayoua;1642918 said:
how are these compared to the intrax? ive heard those are pretty stiff aswell?

I think intrax are progressive springs, so IMO you shouldnt really compare em to linear springs like the RSR race springs.

nosuprayoua

Jan 4, 2010
hawaii
i just looked up why you shouldnt compare the two. it makes sense. well, ima try the rsrs. thanks to all for all the help. and happy holidays to all-idays

Last edited: