rookie rebuild question

gsxr141

Oct 24, 2010
rochester
before the flaming starts, i searched but found no definitive answers.
i'm installing new bearings in a used motor i picked up. i'm also doing a headgasket, timing belt, etc....
the question is......... what's the best option for getting gaskets for the job?
i'm looking for a hg-intake gaskets, oil pan gasket, timing cover gaskets, etc....
i found some stuff seperately, and in a set- but i can't find the timing cover gasket set anywhere.
any help is greatly appreciated.
thanks.......... kevin

edit.... i just found this set. should i just get this and then get a seperate head gasket...
http://www.rockauto.com/catalog/moreinfo.php?pk=123130&cc=1278525

or is it worth getting all this.....
http://www.rockauto.com/catalog/moreinfo.php?pk=1809182&cc=1278525

hvyman

Dang Dude! No Way Man.
Staff member
Apr 17, 2007
Fullerton,CA
dm sells a complete kit just dont use the hg iirc.

Oil pan is toyota fipg silicone not a gasket.

Oct 4, 2011
PA
Any flat machined metal surfaces I use permatex ultra grey aka hondabond or Toyota FIPG. Use the same on the oil pan.

gsxr141

Oct 24, 2010
rochester
cool. i found a bunch of complete kits on e-bay from $80 to like $300. i was hung up on the timing gasket mostly. i'm going to use an oem head gasket for this motor. i'm just putting it back to stock while i build a good one. :)
that's wierd about the oil pan gasket.......... everyone lists one, but i'm fine with silicone too. lol

Dan_Gyoba

Turbo Swapper
Aug 9, 2007
Alberta
www.gyoba.com
I bought the DM kit this time. Last time, I bought the Toyota kit, which was 4X the price, but since I was using the OEM head gasket, it seemed a good choice.

I'm not going to use the oil pan gasket. TSRM says FIPG, so FIPG it is.

The HG that comes in the DM kit doesn't look as good as OEM. Might be okay, but for the cost, not worth the risk. DM sells OEM head gaskets as well.

gsxr141

Oct 24, 2010
rochester
good stuff. i'm clear on everything but the timing cover. does that need the gasket listed in the kits, or will that be permatex?
sorry for the questions, but i don't want it to leak like the motor that the previous owner of my car rebuilt. :(

super51fan

Jul 28, 2010
Indianapolis
I would not use any gasket sealer "FIPG' from the toyota dealer except where it is supposed to be used. If the engine just had a dry paper gasket from the factory do it that way. I have seen several people post about rebuilding engine and then they have a oil leak. I bet they used cheap ebay crap or added sealer where it was not put on by the factory. And i would bet the factory 20 plus year gasket they took off was not leaking. But they knew better than toyota. " Yea let me outsmart the toyota engineers. Have a good day. Look at the Factory repair manual. It will tell you where to add "FIPG"

super51fan

Jul 28, 2010
Indianapolis
They have the factory repair manual in the sticky section of 7MGTE you posted your question. "1990 MKIII TSRM". The factory repair manual is the way to go. Go to EM engine mechanical section. I think this will also answer all your questions. BTW seal packing is refering to toyota black "FIPG" don't use permatex. They list using it in several key areas of assembly. If not you will have a leak. And if you put it where it is not called for it will also probably leak. Don't fall for more must be good mind set. Toyota engineers are very smart. I only use Factory oem gaskets and sealer except for the headgasket. And I prefer HKS steel headgasket. Never had a sealing issue. Yes you will pay more for OEM toyota stuff however in life you get what you pay for. A age old saying goes something like this. Good, fast or cheap and you get to pick only two. Just my two cents. Good luck.