RonnieK subframe bushings + ST sway bars = interference

Sep 7, 2009
Cambridge
So I was buttoning up the rear suspension on tuesday, and while installing the rear sway bar (a suspension techniques) I came to realize that the bar is pressed tightly against the rear subframe mount 'washer'.

That 3" round concave bugger that fits into the bushings.... I can see that it will likely bind up the movement of the sway bar

The only solution I can see is to remove the large washer and grind a flat side into it parallel to the sway bar....

solution #2 would be to space the swaybar brackets off the subframe by means of a custom backer plate maybe 1/4" tops, but this will change my sway bar to upright geometry...

I was just curious if anyone else has run into this issue..... having a modified project can be difficult at times...

these sways F/R were purchased from a local part out used 2 seasons, off a 91 TTR, which I think had OEM subframe bushes, since it has to interference marks where I am experiencing it...

Poodles

I play with fire
Jul 22, 2006
Fort Worth, TX
Looking under my car, I don't see how that would be possible at all unless you have the swaybar installed upside down...

Sep 7, 2009
Cambridge
^well played sir, well played....

Philosophical moment; those who cannot laugh at themselves, should not laugh at anyone....

In my own defense ST was kind enough to place their sticker in an upside down manner, so when the bar was installed backwards the label would be clear when the car is on the hoist, when the bar is installed correctly (thanks poodles - I feel like an idiot) the label faces the fuel filter.... nice touch...

supraguy@aol

Dec 30, 2005
Atlanta
Well spoken, sir. I respect a man that laughs at himself after a goof.
I sometimes have stomach pains from all the laughing i do at myself.
When i read this post, i was thinking the same thing as Poodles, as when i reinstalled mine, i tried it upside down as well, and had the interference.