Rod-knock & Knock sensors?

amd_hcds

Dec 20, 2005
Chicago,IL
Okay been thinking about this. A friend of mine has a 89T auto and he have rod-knock but he never cared about it and it's getting REALLY loud. Will the knock sensor detect the rod-knock knocking as a detonation knock and retard the timing in that case? Cause his car is running crazy rich (black "diesel" smokes from the exhaust)

amd_hcds

Dec 20, 2005
Chicago,IL
Yup every week i'm discovering a new supra man it's like all the lost supras in the world come to Iraq. I own 2 supras and I know like 10 other ones and I'm sure i'm missing more.

bigal0043

Jun 29, 2005
Plattsburgh,NY
www.mk3supra.net
now this is a side note but are you an actual native or are u in the military stationed there? im assuming from your last comment that you are a native... how do you feel about america changing around your government?

i have never heard an iraqi point of view

and on back on topic.. i dont know how or if KS can tell if you have rod knock? but the KS will adjust timing and up fuel pressure

amd_hcds

Dec 20, 2005
Chicago,IL
Bigal0043...Well I'm Iraqi and For those who are gonna ask yes I live in IRaq now.. And about your question...Well due to my kinda good english language I worked with many Foriegn and mostly american journalists..In my opinion American people are nice and kind but their goverment are driving them to hell. For the past years America got in a dozen of useless wars and spread more blood on the world and again that's the goverment not the people. too sad american people believe the media and have faith in what the media says. I'm like 90% sure that most of the guys here reading that I live in Iraq either think that i'm deployed in Iraq or I'm lying about living in Iraq. I don't blame them but the media tells them that Iraq is a Desert filled with ignorant people with camels all around them. Well NAHA it's not that..Believe me any american that came to Iraq REALLY got impressed there's things in Iraq that any one of you would never believe to find in Iraq. Time will prove to people that media is causing all this blood to be spread in the world and all these wars and killings. And many people say that Iraq had elections lately..Well that was a nice show too sad Oprah show won the contest! If the US forces go out of the Iraq now...There will be no Iraq no more cause there will be a Deadly civil war and everyone will kill everyone! it's VERY complicated you it's like a closed circle that we can't get out.

I used to own a C4 Corvette in 2004 someday a US army convoy came by and stopped and they were like "is that a corvette? Is it another car converted to a corvette?" well I told them IT IS a corvette and why are you too impressed? It's like it's something impossible! It's not. I have a Pontiac Trans am. In 1997 I used to own a Dodge Challenger Magnum 1974 which I totalled while racing in Iraq's only track at that time! Also I'm a guitarist of Iraq's kinda only Black\Death metal band. So people think of Iraq and Iraqi people as camel people who ride in their Toyota Hilux pick-ups to get food for their sheeps? Nah people should wake up and stop believing everything the media says.

Sorry for the long post.

And baaaaack to the topic. Well I know the KS will not tell you that you have rod-knock but the idea behind the KS is that it's a microphone that will detect any knock in the block and convert it to millivolts when the voltage raises it means that there's is knocking so the ECU would retard the timing to stop the knock in the combustion so my question is the rod-knock sound is very loud so will the KS detect this rod-knock as a detonation knock and keeps retarding the timing fully?

koulee

Oct 11, 2005
the knock sensor was never designed to detect rod knock. Also the KS is only supposed to detect knocks at low engine rpm situations.

amd_hcds

Dec 20, 2005
Chicago,IL
Well If you heard rod-knock and Detonation knock they are all knocks and vibrations which the KS will detect as KNOCK. And I never knew that the KS detects knock at low engine rpms only?If you're sure then that would answer my question. Say the KS stops detecting detonation knocks say past 3k rpm ?

koulee

Oct 11, 2005
Okay dude, welcome to the school of hard knocks!

Rod knock happens when you run the motor low on oil. This causes the parts to wear out extremely fast. Usually by the time you hear rod knock your motor is at death's door. It has absolutely nothing to do with timing and combustion. Its the crank and the rods smacking the shit out of each other. Say bye bye to engine.

The other knock should rather be called ping. This happens when you use a low grade/low octane fuel in your car, when it is designed to run with a higher rated octane, like a turbo supra running 87 instead of 91+. Usually this happens only during predetonation. The knock sensor detects predetonation because it produces vibrations in a certain range that the knock sensor can detect. When it does detect the pinging of the engine, the ecu retards the timing so as not to damage the expensive engine.

amd_hcds

Dec 20, 2005
Chicago,IL
lol yeah been welcomed to that school before but I'm going to graduate soon cause my engine is out of car being rebuilt but i'm sorta low on cash so it's on stand by :-D

And yeah I had rod-knock before but not with the supra I had a rod-knock with my TA when it ran low on oil due to an oil leak man rod-knocks on 7ms aren't even considered rod-knocks comparing to sound of the knocking from a lt1! Plus I've driven my car with rod-knock for like 4 mounths and it was no problem at all but no hard driving just a DD.

So now I got it...Thanks alot for the input guys

bigal0043

Jun 29, 2005
Plattsburgh,NY
www.mk3supra.net
thanks for your point of view. i would imagine that its like any other place just a little warmer. In fact Iraq use to make a shit load more money than america because of oil... how much is gas prices there btw?

koulee

Oct 11, 2005
bigal0043 said:
thanks for your point of view. i would imagine that its like any other place just a little warmer. In fact Iraq use to make a shit load more money than america because of oil... how much is gas prices there btw?

25 cents a gallon i suppose.