Rod Bearings on a BHG GTE

87nasupra

Scotty's Garage
Mar 2, 2006
Jacksonville, FLORIDA !
Well, alot of you know that im a N/A guy thats swapping a GTE into my car. I got a 87 turbo car for a steal and found it had a BHG. When i pulled it, i opened the oil drain plug and got the milkshake pouring out. The guy i got the car from said he blew it and it sat for about 6 months before i got it. so around 7 months the milkshake has sat in the bottom of the pan. The GTE is a "JDM" engine he got from jarco. Everything is still tight on the bottom end.

So here goes:

1) How bad would this affect the rod bearings that are in there? (can i still use them)

2) Would this affect the block in any way?

3) Would this hurt the 6m crank thats already in the block?

Any info is helpful. I've done alot of searches but i can't find one that has all the information i need. I have yet to start because i want to know if there are things i can do to save some cash, instead of blowing money on something i could have reused, kept, etc.

Thanks, Scotty

87nasupra

Scotty's Garage
Mar 2, 2006
Jacksonville, FLORIDA !
So really just head rebuild,MHG, arps, new rod and main bearings, check rods and shot peen, etc. Basic rebuild eh?

I'm not looking for high hp numbers. Maybe looking about 350 at most. BPU is what i have for it now. What else would i need to do besides the above things?

NewWestSupras

SoupLvr
Mar 1, 2006
White Rock
New pumps, timing belt, and balance the bottom end. Flow check the injectors before re-using. I'd change the fuel pump and filter as well. Pressure check the coolant system while you're at it. might as well change the clutch since you're in there.

87nasupra

Scotty's Garage
Mar 2, 2006
Jacksonville, FLORIDA !
i already have new water pump, timing belt, tensioner, full gasket set so far. Already have the walbro pump installed and have a new fuel filter done 2 weeks ago- routine maintenance- since i work at tires plus. Have new PWR radiator going in it when i swap the engine. Looking at different clutches now.

87nasupra

Scotty's Garage
Mar 2, 2006
Jacksonville, FLORIDA !
I have the full gasket set, water pump, timing belt, tensioner, soon to have an oil pump, and new hoses.....thanks for reminding me. I'll have the rods shot peened, and cleaned. I was thinking of going with the pistons that Doward has a group buy on if he has any left.

I'm taking the block over to a shop that i know here in town and where another SM member is having his 7m built at too. I'm going to have them go threw it and check clearances and stuff.......see what kind of work the block and crank need-if any, and get it magnafluxed. I'll go from there.