RIP Little Blue Ion Redline

DsBetterHalf

The Pretty Doward
Jan 25, 2008
Alachua, FL
So Thursday night, on our way home from the Thursday night meet, my Redline met it's end. Driving about 70mph or so on Hwy 441 (only like 5 over the limit), from the Ocala area to Gainesville. Deer ran out in front of us, startled us both. John was driving, since I was tired. He swerved, and missed the deer. Unfortunately, when my bald tires hit the wet grass on the side of the highway, the car lost all traction, and there was no stopping it. We ran headfirst into a tree. The car is totaled, the frame is bent. The driver's side door won't shut. Best guess is that we were doing about 35-40mph when we hit the tree.

We are both okay, just sore and bruised from the seat belts and air bags. Mine look worse, because I was wearing a tank top while John was wearing a t-shirt. I think I pulled something in my left shoulder, but I'm not sure.

We called the insurance Friday, but it will most likely be Monday before we hear anything back from them. They don't work on the weekends, apparently.

Anyway, pics of the car.

A few weeks ago, after BlackSS did a phenomenal detail job on it:
p1391048_1.jpg

p1391048_2.jpg

And the day after the crash (yesterday):
p1391048_3.jpg

p1391048_4.jpg

p1391048_5.jpg

p1391048_6.jpg

p1391048_7.jpg

Suprapowaz!(2)

Apr 10, 2006
San Antonio, Tx.
Hitting a tree at 70mph... you guys are lucky your still alive. I know it's a natural instinct to swerve, but you guys would have been better off hitting the deer. It's very rare that I swerve.

DsBetterHalf

The Pretty Doward
Jan 25, 2008
Alachua, FL
We were only doing about 35-40mph when we hit the tree, at our best guess. I think, even being a Saturn and being made out of Tupperware, that if we HAD hit the tree at 70, we would be in the hospital at this point. :-\

lewis15498

Don't blame ebay cheapass
Sep 28, 2008
Raynham, Massachusetts, United States
Glad you guys are ok. Next time hit the deer lol. I plowed down a deer doing 80-90 a couple years ago in a dodge pickup. Just cracked the plastic grille, and a headlight tab. Finished the deer off, threw it in the back of the truck, and took it home. My buddy came and taught me how to gut it, and then we ate it.
BBQ ground venecin pizza is the shit!!!

starscream5000

Senior VIP Member
Aug 23, 2006
Hot and Humid, KY
Glad both of you are okay! I t-boned a kid in my 2003 Eclipse on 3-25-09. He pulled an illegal u-turn and I nailed him going about the same speed you two were going. My damage looks almost the same except I hit him dead center.

Edit: NOT a kid, kid, a kid in a firebird. ;)

SupraMario

I think it was the google
Mar 30, 2005
The Farm
NOOOOO Mr. Ion is gone :/

But thank Mr. Ion for protecting you guys and that you're both ok. Get your shoulder looked at Laura.

rakkasan

Currahee!!
Mar 31, 2005
Fort Campbell, KY
Holy crap, I just saw the pics! I glad you and John are OK, but as many others have said, get your shoulder checked out.

My wife totaled my '92 Mustang GT back in '94 while I was away. She felt so guilty about it that she didn't have her wrist looked at after the accident. Just this morning, 15 years later, she took 800mg of Motrin for pain. Not a smart idea....

Last edited:

DsBetterHalf

The Pretty Doward
Jan 25, 2008
Alachua, FL
I'm going first thing tomorrow morning to the local urgent care place to have it looked at. I keep discovering new bruises left by the seat belt, lol. So far I have 2 on my left breast, 1 on the left side of my stomach, and 1 on my right hip. But I guess it really says something good for Saturn, that after all the damage done to the car, the only damage done to John and I was from the seat belts.

Once we hear from the insurance company, we'll work on getting me a new car. I think I've settled on a 4th generation 4 cylinder diesel turbo Volkswagen Jetta. Little bastards get almost 50mpg! :D

NoKittenMKIII

40mm BOOM
Mar 22, 2009
Sands of Iraq
DsBetterHalf;1391656 said:
Once we hear from the insurance company, we'll work on getting me a new car. I think I've settled on a 4th generation 4 cylinder diesel turbo Volkswagen Jetta. Little bastards get almost 50mpg! :D

Go for the Beamer version. More power same mileage. And looks cooler.

cinciguy89turbo

Zero to Sixty
Apr 7, 2009
Cincinnati, Ohio, United States
DsBetterHalf;1391048 said:
We called the insurance Friday, but it will most likely be Monday before we hear anything back from them. They don't work on the weekends, apparently.

This may sound selfish, but this is one reason why I hate weekends especially Sundays. You can never get anything serious done, everyone is closed.

gtsfirefighter

SM Expert on White trash
Sep 26, 2006
Weatherford, Texas, United States
DsBetterHalf;1391071 said:
We were only doing about 35-40mph when we hit the tree, at our best guess. I think, even being a Saturn and being made out of Tupperware, that if we HAD hit the tree at 70, we would be in the hospital at this point. :-\

Plastic Saturn + tree at 70 mph would have put you in the morgue. Glad you both are ok. It was a nice looking little car.

Keros

Canadian Bacon
Mar 16, 2007
Calgary
I'm glad you guys are alright!

My official policy for deer is to dive the brakes, then switch back to gas before impact if possible... lifts the nose so the framerails are higher. Never swerve... because what you find in the ditch probably won't be as soft as a plushy, tasty deer. Car companies do the most design work for frontal collisions, the most common accident, so putting a deer between the headlights is always better than risking a rollover or worse in the ditch.

Elk is situational... sometimes hitting it is best, sometimes the ditch is better, depending on what you're driving. Always swerve for moose. Trees are 3 times better to hit than moose!