Right Rear Wheel Bearing Replacement

GOT BOOST

Mar 30, 2005
Canada
www.supraclub.ca
Sorry in advance if I posted this in the wrong section.

Ok all you Supra Superstars. :D Have any of you replaced the right rear wheel bearing on a MKIII Supra yourself?

I need to do this as I have found out mine is on its way out. I have gotten a price on bearings and seals. I know I need to have the bearings pressed out, and the new bearing pressed in. I have been quoted labour charge from $73.00 to $550.00 to replace the bearing. That price is if I bring the car in. My question is, how hard is it to remove this hub, and other components from the suspension so I can take it into a shop to have the old bearing pressed out, and a new one pressed in. I know that I may be able to get that done for next to nothing as the main labour is dissassembling and reassembling the hub. I have looked at it, and it looks pretty easy to do. I would much rather do it myself, than to take it in as I prefer to do my own work on my ride.

I have looked at the TSRM online.

Any tips that may come in handy?

Thanks in advance,

Mike Nikolai

Johnny Dangerously

I can eat planets
Apr 4, 2005
Corpus Christi, TX..
GOT BOOST said:
Sorry in advance if I posted this in the wrong section.

Ok all you Supra Superstars. :D Have any of you replaced the right rear wheel bearing on a MKIII Supra yourself?

I need to do this as I have found out mine is on its way out. I have gotten a price on bearings and seals. I know I need to have the bearings pressed out, and the new bearing pressed in. I have been quoted labour charge from $73.00 to $550.00 to replace the bearing. That price is if I bring the car in. My question is, how hard is it to remove this hub, and other components from the suspension so I can take it into a shop to have the old bearing pressed out, and a new one pressed in. I know that I may be able to get that done for next to nothing as the main labour is dissassembling and reassembling the hub. I have looked at it, and it looks pretty easy to do. I would much rather do it myself, than to take it in as I prefer to do my own work on my ride.

I have looked at the TSRM online.

Any tips that may come in handy?

Thanks in advance,

Mike Nikolai

its not hard, really.

jack the rear up, put it on stands
take off tires
take off calipers and rotors.
remove pins on hub
go to the differential...disconnect the halfshafts..they are i think 6 bolts each, really easy...take one out, rotate, take one out, rotate, etc.
pull the halfshafts out of your way..wheel bearing comes right out.

grease new wheel bearing with wheel bearing grease.install and put the halfshafts back, bolt it in, get new pins they aer like 7 cents. put the brakes and rotors back on, wheels on..ur good to go.

GOT BOOST

Mar 30, 2005
Canada
www.supraclub.ca
Johnny Dangerously said:
its not hard, really.

jack the rear up, put it on stands
take off tires
take off calipers and rotors.
remove pins on hub
go to the differential...disconnect the halfshafts..they are i think 6 bolts each, really easy...take one out, rotate, take one out, rotate, etc.
pull the halfshafts out of your way..wheel bearing comes right out.

grease new wheel bearing with wheel bearing grease.install and put the halfshafts back, bolt it in, get new pins they aer like 7 cents. put the brakes and rotors back on, wheels on..ur good to go.

Hi Johnny Dangerously,

Thanks for the info. However are the bearings not pressed in? From what I remember reading that on the MKII's there is an inner and outer bearing, which is easy to service and replace. The wheel bearing in the MKIII's are not servicable and need to be pressed out to change, and pressed back in?

Just thought I would check.

Mike Nikolai

mkiiSupraMan18

Needs a new username...
Apr 1, 2005
United States
Figures the MKII's would be easier. Everything I've done so far has been easier on the MKII. I'm sure it's all basically the same, just different. :)

Satan

Supramania Contributor
Mar 31, 2005
Tampa
GOT BOOST said:
Hi Johnny Dangerously,

Thanks for the info. However are the bearings not pressed in? From what I remember reading that on the MKII's there is an inner and outer bearing, which is easy to service and replace. The wheel bearing in the MKIII's are not servicable and need to be pressed out to change, and pressed back in?

Just thought I would check.

Mike Nikolai

I had actually removed the "hub" and took it to a shop and had it pressed out/in. There is a C-clip there somewhere, but it's been years and I'm too old to remember ;-)

Check the TRSM for more detail to do it right, but here's what I did.

I bought the bearing for $65 from Autozone (i think), and cost $25 to press out/in (chek w/NAPA, PepBoys, they are likely to do/charge the same, etc). Thing is, I removed a bunch of the suspension stuff when I did it and needed an alignment afterwards (~$75-$100?). Good luck!

GOT BOOST

Mar 30, 2005
Canada
www.supraclub.ca
Satan said:
I had actually removed the "hub" and took it to a shop and had it pressed out/in. There is a C-clip there somewhere, but it's been years and I'm too old to remember ;-)

Check the TRSM for more detail to do it right, but here's what I did.

I bought the bearing for $65 from Autozone (i think), and cost $25 to press out/in (chek w/NAPA, PepBoys, they are likely to do/charge the same, etc). Thing is, I removed a bunch of the suspension stuff when I did it and needed an alignment afterwards (~$75-$100?). Good luck!

Hi Satan,

I am not too worried about the wheel alignment. I know I need one as I did my suspension last winter, and never got the car aligned after that. I was still contemplating doing the wheel bearing as I was informed that I did need one. The way I saw it was that there was no sence paying for an alignment twice.

My plan is exactly what you had suggested. Remove the "Hub" dismantle as much as I could, take it to a shop have them remove and install the bearing for next to nothing. I did take a look at the TSRM, looks pretty easy, but just wanted to see if anyone had any good tips as what to do, and what not to do.

Mike Nikolai