reuse a metal head gasket

kakanator

Apr 25, 2010
Fresno, California, United States
I got a 3mm gasket from a friend for free most of the viton was gone so I took the layers apart and cleaned them with acetone and put them back together then did a few cotes of copper spray on the bottom and top of the gasket then let it sit 5-10 min then set in on the block then put the head on then toured it down will I have any problems since I didn't pray between all the layers?

p1741654_1.jpg

p1741654_2.jpg

Last edited:

IJ.

Grumpy Old Man
Mar 30, 2005
I come from a land down under
kakanator;1741674 said:
the motor is on a stand still I just have the intake on and vac lines I can still take the head off and do it over again no a prob just wanted to know if I should.

I would..

I know the way I do em works fine, can't say how yours will hold up.

IJ.

Grumpy Old Man
Mar 30, 2005
I do mine as a tack coat, meaning as soon as you can just touch the copper and it's not runny/liquid assemble it, this needs everything being ready to go no hesitation as you only get 1 go at it.

Block with studs installed helps, drop layer one aligning it on the dowells then two and three, I use grease on the washers to hold them in the head.
(can't put the washers in once the head is down and lifting it will peel the cooper)

Lower the head onto the studs, moly lube the nuts and torque em down in 3 passes in sequence.

IJ.

Grumpy Old Man
Mar 30, 2005
kakanator;1741695 said:
Found that out the first time I put the head on washers would not got on that is a great idea. So the rivets on the gasket don't have to be in I can just lay them down one at a time?

Yep that's how I did all of mine (reused mine 4 times each before retiring them)

kakanator

Apr 25, 2010
Fresno, California, United States
Thanks again you guys for the input I got a bottom tap 12x1.25 and taped the bottom of all the holes for the arp's and also went and got the 3mm hks head gasket measured so I don't have 3mm of gasket. Insted I got it measured for 1.8mm I took out on big layer and one small layer. I sprayed all the sides of the layers and let them shit for like 15 mins and put them on and set the head on then torqued the bolts down to 75 pounds. She is good to go now just need to put the upper intake stuff on and I'm done with my NA to turbo motor.