retro fitting door moldings

tfhorst

Nov 2, 2011
pittsburgh
So I am putting a 87 supra together on the cheap. I picked up molding off an 87 with the crusty rusty backing. I am stripping off the metal I'm going to find some way to stick it on....just was wondering if anyone else has done this.

I know I should buy the 89+ and make it easy but I have more time than $.

te72

Classifieds Moderator
Staff member
Mar 26, 2006
WHYoming
I know you can get good molding glue at any decent body shop. There is even a particular kind of it, I'm told, that once applied and cured, whatever you stuck together is NOT coming apart. Ever. Might look into something like that, or a step below it anyway... I'm sure 3m is your friend here.

tfhorst

Nov 2, 2011
pittsburgh
I only worry useing 3m is that I would have to hold it on both edges instead of a strip down the cente due to the gap that will be left after I take out the backing. Not to big of a deal but when I get it done I don't wat to kick myself for missing an easier way.

tfhorst

Nov 2, 2011
pittsburgh
Got it, used coroplast (love coroplast) to make an inside suport to conect the trim and the door. By cutting it right I also alowed water to freely pass through and not get caught sitting againt my door. It is very firmly attached yet flexes slightly under presure. Chipping the rusty metal out took forever but ended up with a full set of trim that matches and looks pro for less than $20