Replacing the EGR cooler gasket without removing the motor or head

Doat

Feb 6, 2012
Houston, TX
I need to replace my EGR cooler gasket but don't have time to remove the head or motor. I remember reading before that you can do it by jacking up the transmission to tilt the motor forward. What do I need to do that?

hvyman

Dang Dude! No Way Man.
Staff member
Apr 17, 2007
Fullerton,CA
Remove trans mount and jack it up. And then use a little ratchet like a quarter inch one with time and patience and a magnet.

Doat

Feb 6, 2012
Houston, TX
Thanks man, I ordered the OEM gasket and hose, so once those come in I'll be tackling this. So will jacking up the trans not put any stress on anything else like the motor mounts, harness, etc. or will it not move the motor enough to do any harm?

Doat

Feb 6, 2012
Houston, TX
Took all damn day and a tool run but I finally got it off. I jacked up the tranny as much as I could and figured out to remove the charcoal canister and just remove all of the bolts from the exhaust side and it went smooth as silk after that. At least now I know how to do this job much quicker. I just removed the plate for now once the parts come in I'll scrape off the old gasket that didn't burn off on the head and clean it all up. Will copper spray hurt at all? I just want to be sure this damn thing won't leak again, so if copper spray can only help then I'll spray a light coat.
10858641_10203491582672396_1756883438691771464_n.jpg

Nick M

Black Rifles Matter
Sep 9, 2005
U.S.
www.ebay.com
3p141592654;2033367 said:
Just use the Toyota gasket and you will be good. I've never heard of any issues with the oem gasket.

He is right. The only problem is incorrect installation in some way.

Doat

Feb 6, 2012
Houston, TX
I don't think installing the gasket the wrong way will be a problem it tapers on one end lol unless you have to have a certain side facing the head or something like that.

emiliorescigno

Supramania Contributor
Sep 17, 2006
Woodbury, MN
I did this job about 2 years ago.

Step 1: Examine the area.
Step 2: Stick hand and attempt to touch each bolt to evaluate access.
Step 3: Welp, fuck that noise!
Step 4: Remove head.
Step 5: ???
Step 6: Profit!

I used a Toyota OEM gasket and no rtv/sealant/spray. Worked great. The bolts were quite loose when I took them off though, putting loc-tite on the bolts while re-installing is probably not a bad idea.

Doat

Feb 6, 2012
Houston, TX
Would lock-tite even hold up to the temperature? My bolts were perfectly fine, so I think I am good there. Just waiting on the parts to come in still I hope they come in today.

hvyman

Dang Dude! No Way Man.
Staff member
Apr 17, 2007
Fullerton,CA
LOCTITE No. can get some stuff called gasgacinch. Its a gasket sealer but it gets real sticky so you can put it in a couple places and then stick it up.

Doat

Feb 6, 2012
Houston, TX
Well even though I placed the order on Saturday I figured they would process it and ship it out on monday or tuesday the latest but nope they just sent me an email with a tracking number. I should have gone down to the dealer monday morning and paid a little extra there and picked up the parts on tuesday.

super51fan

Jul 28, 2010
Indianapolis
The only way to get an OEM Toyota gasket is the dealer. Most dealers get parts next day maybe two depending on the depot they ship from. Plus they can tell you if the local depot has them and if not where they are in the country. Dealers will even ship to your house.

I order stuff all the time from dealer and get it next day.