replacing lifter shims

Eskimo

Aug 16, 2011
Moscow Mills, MO
i pulled the cams today to get at the lifter shims and i noticed the cam journals were scared up how can i fix this without droppin a bunch of cash. cause im broke as hell anyway

suprarx7nut

YotaMD.com author
Nov 10, 2006
Arizona
www.supramania.com
I've had a couple heads with cams that weren't very smooth and drove with no problems. One was really bad, but it drove fine. You may be able to have the head line honed, I'm not sure if there any way to replace the "bearing" material that should be on the head short of buying a new head... :(

Integrity

Aug 28, 2011
Moncks Corner, SC
Cam journal to cam bore scoring is commonplace for aluminum heads running overhead cams. I agree with AJ's 88NA not to do much cleaning. Yeah, you could polish the surfaces smoother, but cam oiling clearances are part of your overall oil circulation system. Extra clearance from polishing this area risks low oil pressure. Yes, there are cam bore rebuilding kits available to local engine rebuilding shops, but most don't do it because it isn't in high enough demand to get payback. You could send your head to a cylinder head specialty shop if you still want it done.