replacing clutch 'n stuff - pull engine?

Poodles

I play with fire
Jul 22, 2006
Fort Worth, TX
Nope, they didn't have that one, got this one on sale for like $150...

http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/ctaf/displayitem.taf?Itemnumber=91020

It kicks ass. I setup two of the corner pieces to go around the center plate on the tranny, and the other too parts went into some cast ridges farther forward. Got the chain over it and it was a piece of cake.

Was even easier putting it back in because of the tilt adjustment knobs!

Was cheaper than going to a chiropractor for fucking up my back if I tried to muscle the fucker in...

toy fanatic78

addicted to toy's
Oct 17, 2008
Elkhart,IN
Make sure the clutch alignment tool slides in and out easily(effortlessly),the clutch plate can be off to one side a little bit and even though the tool will go in,you'll play hell with getting the trans in.

Poodles

I play with fire
Jul 22, 2006
Fort Worth, TX
I'm assuming since it's in the GTE section he's running an R154, int hat case, the pressure plate and clutch disk goes on the tranny shaft and the pressure plate is bolted down once it's all together.

No need for the alignment tool, and you can't assemble it that way int he car anyway.

Moy

It's broken...
Aug 6, 2008
Beach Park, IL
toy fanatic78;1317647 said:
Make sure the clutch alignment tool slides in and out easily(effortlessly),the clutch plate can be off to one side a little bit and even though the tool will go in,you'll play hell with getting the trans in.

What alignment tool? TSRM says to put the PP and disc on the input shaft, then bolt trans up to engine, then PP to flywheel through inspection covers.

Or is it easier to do bolting everything to the FW and then bolting up the trans (how most clutch jobs are done)?

Poodles

I play with fire
Jul 22, 2006
Fort Worth, TX
The clutch release bearing hub sticks too far out, you CAN'T get the input shaft of the tranny in there with the engine in the car.

Engine and tranny out of the car, you can do it, but I find it easier to do it without trying to line it up as none of the clutch kits come with an alignment tool anyway...

Moy

It's broken...
Aug 6, 2008
Beach Park, IL
Poodles;1317672 said:
The clutch release bearing hub sticks too far out, you CAN'T get the input shaft of the tranny in there with the engine in the car.

Engine and tranny out of the car, you can do it, but I find it easier to do it without trying to line it up as none of the clutch kits come with an alignment tool anyway...

So basically do it the way the TSRM says. Yes Poods?

Poodles

I play with fire
Jul 22, 2006
Fort Worth, TX
Yep, it was done that way for a reason ;)

Torque is easy, hang a ratchet off the front of the engine to turn it (make sure it's a big one and don't forget to remove it before starting the engine) and you can either torque (yes, you need a torque wrench) through the inspection holes, or do like I do and use an extension and go through the slave cylinder hole.

Torque, turn engine, torque, turn engine....

Moy

It's broken...
Aug 6, 2008
Beach Park, IL
Poodles;1317713 said:
Yep, it was done that way for a reason ;)

Torque is easy, hang a ratchet off the front of the engine to turn it (make sure it's a big one and don't forget to remove it before starting the engine) and you can either torque (yes, you need a torque wrench) through the inspection holes, or do like I do and use an extension and go through the slave cylinder hole.

Torque, turn engine, torque, turn engine....

The TSRM doesn't say torque in any sort of specific sequence, but I know that when I've done clutch jobs on other cars at school that we've always used a star-shaped pattern... which do you recommend? My gut says star patter (don't know what else to call it), but I think that was only to make sure that the clutch disc stayed centered between the pp and fw

toy fanatic78

addicted to toy's
Oct 17, 2008
Elkhart,IN
Poodles;1317660 said:
I'm assuming since it's in the GTE section he's running an R154, int hat case, the pressure plate and clutch disk goes on the tranny shaft and the pressure plate is bolted down once it's all together.

No need for the alignment tool, and you can't assemble it that way int he car anyway.

My fault,I knew the 154 was different,didn't know it was THAT different(I just thought it was internally stronger.)
Thanks for the correction/info Poodles

jaxtaterror

Mar 21, 2007
jacksonville, fl
Thanks again for all the help guys. Bought the 800lb transmission jack at the local harbor freight last night - about $130, I think.

I've picked out the South Bend full face feramic clutch kit (advertised to 520tq) and am trying to decide on a new flywheel to go with it. I'd like to pick up a new, cheap stock, but nobody seems to have available besides Toyota (not cheap...)

jaxtaterror

Mar 21, 2007
jacksonville, fl
yea - it's not usable. I really didn't want to put it on last time, but since I rarely drive the car, and I just wanted to test out the new engine and turbo, i threw it on anyway knowing I'd be doing a clutch soon.

GrimJack

Administrator
Dec 31, 1969
Richmond, BC, Canada
idriders.com
The last time I was looking, I couldn't find an aftermarket one that wasn't a performance unit. I ended up buying a used one that had already been re-machined.

I'd look for a used one if I were you - or just bite the bullet and buy a performance unit.

jaxtaterror

Mar 21, 2007
jacksonville, fl
I found Autozone listed one for $50 (plus $50 core charge) but it wasn't avaliable. I couldn't find anyone else.

Went ahead and ordered a Fidanza with the SB OFE Street clutch kit from SupraSport.

I'll see how it goes. Ordered new flywheel bolts and seals (rear main, crank, oil pump, and cams) from Jeff Watson. (I'm tired of leaks...)

Hopefully next weekend I'll get it all installed and start terrorizing the roads again...