replaced carrier bearing and now a new shake!

vdragonmpc

tireflaminrumpshaker
Apr 11, 2005
Colonial Heights
www.joncjennings.com
Well I have been trying to fix my shaking steering wheel.

I found the bar under the transmission loose and tightened it on up.
Today the carrier bearing was replaced. Now when I pull out the car wiggles. What the hell? This car hates me I tell you.

I was told its possible the rear U joint is going bad now. Is that replaceable on a 91 turbo? I dont think I can do that in the driveway.

Is it possible I did something stupid and it needs to be adjusted. It rides ok after it gets going but when you first roll from a stop the car 'wiggles'... I hear no noises and it seems to back up fine...

V

SevenMKIII

No more Supra no more fun
Jan 13, 2007
Central IL
Could be u-joints. I usually have them pressed in at a local auto store, it's cheap. Is your steering wheel shaking at low speeds only or high speeds too? Warped brake rotors, unbalanced tires, and sticking calipers could also effect the ride, at higher speeds.

-Chris

vdragonmpc

tireflaminrumpshaker
Apr 11, 2005
Colonial Heights
www.joncjennings.com
It wiggles when the car first moves forward. It did not do this before the carrier bearing was replaced.

I had been trying to fix a vibration at 70mph in the steering wheel and now I have created a new problem.

The new wiggle is when the car first moves.

MmmBoost

DDS Performance
wiggle present in the steering wheel at high speeds would be involving the front 2 tires. out of balance, rim with excessive runout, bubble in the tire, warped rotors, or sticky calipers.

when first starting off, i really need to know what a "wiggle" is. is it shaking side to side? just a vibration, or does the steering wheel move? try starting the car moving with your hands off the wheel.

we will go from there.

spoolint78

Representing T.O
Mar 30, 2005
T.O
there is little spacers that go on the carrier bearing.
do the go before the bolt on the bottomg of the carrier bearing?
or ontop of the bearing between the bearing and the car frame?
could these be a cause for the vibration?

vdragonmpc

tireflaminrumpshaker
Apr 11, 2005
Colonial Heights
www.joncjennings.com
MmmBoost said:
wiggle present in the steering wheel at high speeds would be involving the front 2 tires. out of balance, rim with excessive runout, bubble in the tire, warped rotors, or sticky calipers.

when first starting off, i really need to know what a "wiggle" is. is it shaking side to side? just a vibration, or does the steering wheel move? try starting the car moving with your hands off the wheel.

we will go from there.

This is a butt wiggle forget the steering wheel. It feels odd now. If I roll I dont feel anything but when I give it gas it feels like slipping clutches like a shudder. It goes away but I feel odd on the highway now too.

This all started with me trying to fix the front end shake I had. I bought new rims, new tires, shocks, springs... Nothing has worked.

This new shudder when first giving the gas makes me nervous though.

V

vdragonmpc

tireflaminrumpshaker
Apr 11, 2005
Colonial Heights
www.joncjennings.com
spoolint78 said:
there is little spacers that go on the carrier bearing.
do the go before the bolt on the bottomg of the carrier bearing?
or ontop of the bearing between the bearing and the car frame?
could these be a cause for the vibration?

Now thats a good question. I shall look in the box and make sure they went on the car!!

(and do they go on the bottom or top?)

V

IJ.

Grumpy Old Man
Mar 30, 2005
I come from a land down under
Unbolt the shaft at the rear uni turn it 180 degrees and bolt it back up.

Also sight along the Uni joints and make sure all 3 caps are in line.

The spacers go between the carrier and the body.

Aspec

Supra uber alles
Dec 22, 2005
Surprise, AZ
IJ. said:
Unbolt the shaft at the rear uni turn it 180 degrees and bolt it back up.

Also sight along the Uni joints and make sure all 3 caps are in line.

The spacers go between the carrier and the body.

Yes what IJ said. You want to make sure all of the components are indexed (lined up) properly. Marking all of the components before dis-assembly is always a good idea as well.

vdragonmpc said:
I had been trying to fix a vibration at 70mph in the steering wheel and now I have created a new problem.

After reading all you have done to combat a 70mph vibration I was wondering if you might have checked your front hubs for runout with a dial indicator. I have seen some of our hubs being warped after many years of service.

Best of luck.