Replace Egr without moving engine?

IndigoMKII

May 9, 2011
Madison, Virginia
I did mine from under the car. Reaching up between the block and the steering linkages. Don't forget you need to undo the bolts from the intake manifold or you won't be able to pull the egr valve off the studs.

Jef

Jul 18, 2010
Belgium
alacran1;1916598 said:
how would you block it off?

My NA came without the EGR system from the factory, this is an original blockoff plate (there is another one on the intake manifold)

p1916601_1.jpg

Jef

Jul 18, 2010
Belgium
jetjock;1916615 said:
Because he doesn't live in Belgium and where he lives it does a lot more than take up space.

yes I do know what its meant for. But I pass the emissons test just fine without it every year. Allthough it could be possible you need another ecu in order to get the engine to run properly without it

IndigoMKII;1916618 said:
Why remove something that helps the engine?

they only installed it to pass emissons in some countries. The engine itself runs fine without it. As far as i can tell all early EU NA's didn't have the egr system installed

Last edited:

Poodles

I play with fire
Jul 22, 2006
Fort Worth, TX
REAper;1916620 said:
yes I do know what its meant for. But I pass the emissons test just fine without it every year. Allthough it could be possible you need another ecu in order to get the engine to run properly without it

they only installed it to pass emissons in some countries. The engine itself runs fine without it. As far as i can tell all early EU NA's didn't have the egr system installed

The ECU's are tuned differently. Also, it has the side effect of getting better gas milage, lower EGT's, and having knock supression.

IndigoMKII

May 9, 2011
Madison, Virginia
REAper;1916620 said:

Poodles;1916713 said:
The ECU's are tuned differently. Also, it has the side effect of getting better gas milage, lower EGT's, and having knock supression.

Not to mention it also helps keep the 6th cylinder(further one back) cooler. Some people just don't know..

Enjoy your detonation at part throttle light load conditions.

Jef

Jul 18, 2010
Belgium
IndigoMKII;1916895 said:
Not to mention it also helps keep the 6th cylinder(further one back) cooler. Some people just don't know..

Enjoy your detonation at part throttle light load conditions.

Erm...could be just me. But its an EGR "valve" not a cooler. It sends HOT exhaust gasses that pass next to the coolant hose that goes up the cilinder head to the heater meaning HOT water. Theres no cooling involved whatsoever. It should by all means infact make the 6th cilinder hotter rather then cooler.

Other then that, my other NA had +- 250.000km, no BHG and NO egr...

And like i said, they only installed the EGR system to lower emissions, same thing with the catalysator. US NA has one, EU NA doesnt...