Repainting a rusted DP

aznwaterboy

Swap never finished
Feb 5, 2006
Bay Area, California
Alright so I bought a hks dp off of a member from here and it's in okay condition, just parts of rust over the dp. What I want to do is sand it down and paint it with a high-temp rust-proof paint. What i'm looking for is suggestions as to what rating sandpaper to use and what paint and where I can find that paint. Here's some pictures of the dp:
p898141_1.jpg

p898141_2.jpg

mjtoll23

almost a TT-R
Apr 14, 2007
VA
aznwaterboy;898141 said:
Alright so I bought a hks dp off of a member from here and it's in okay condition, just parts of rust over the dp. What I want to do is sand it down and paint it with a high-temp rust-proof paint. What i'm looking for is suggestions as to what rating sandpaper to use and what paint and where I can find that paint. Here's some pictures of the dp:
p898192_1.jpg

p898192_2.jpg

http://www.por15.com/products.asp?dept=8

Ive used that stuff before and it works great. You really dont have to prep it too much either. Good luck with the downpipe and post pics when your done.

azmk3

Nov 12, 2007
Tucson, Arizona
Just use some 120 grit or thereabouts. Not too much rust so hand sanding wont be too bad. It will leave scratch marks but since your coating it with rust inhibitor or some high-temp paint it will help it "bond" to the DP. It shouldn't take you very long to sand.

aznwaterboy

Swap never finished
Feb 5, 2006
Bay Area, California
No sandblaster of any kind. I guess I'm going with the 120 grit. I'll pick it up and get started on sunday and post pics of how it goes. It looks as though I need to bake the dp after I spray the high-heat paint, but my oven isn't big enough for the dp lol. How to get around this?

themadhatter

Jul 5, 2006
Vegas
use BBQ grill paint it works very well on exhaust and down pipes. What you can do is just bake the paint on with a heat gun,it takes some time and a good heat gun but it'll work

suprastanger507mgte

2x88+2x89+1x91+2x92=ME
Apr 5, 2005
Hayward , Ca
Alex, use the high heat paint from Autozone or Kragens. I boght mine at kragens and painted my whole exhaust with it. Just chip away and bubbled up rust areas.
I think its like 1500*F paint.