Removing Side Gear Shaft on Differential.

KINGPIN33

Apr 3, 2005
Canada
So I'm changing the side differential oil seals. I'm doing the one on the exhaust side now. How in the world do you remove the Side Gear Shaft on the differential? The whole axle itself is removed from it and all I need to do is "pop" it off. I've used a pry bar with a hammer tapping on it and it only budged a bit.

Here's the troublesome part.

SideGearShaft.JPG

Do you guys know of any tricks to remove it? I don't have a slide hammer; I was told that could be useful. Others have just successfully pryed it off with a prybar.

Thanks.

KINGPIN33

Apr 3, 2005
Canada
NashMan said:
remove the snap ring and it will pop out the digram there shoudl show you were it is

You gotta remove the snap ring before I get that Side Gear Shaft off? Are you sure? I believe the snap ring is there to hold the dust cover in place, which is behind the Side Gear Shaft.
The snap ring is not visible, at least I don't think so...

jawsgear

Undergoing Construction
Jan 29, 2006
Sactown
www.jawsgear.com
You cannot remove the snap ring, and there is no need to remove the snap ring.

You will need two heavy duty pry bars to pop the axles out.

The best way is to take a ball peen hammer and give the axle a couple of good hits on the flange.

Although this is much easier out of the car it can be done with the diff still bolted in.

Hope this helps.

tookwik4u89

Red T-shirt
Apr 6, 2005
Rockford, IL
It comes out with the snap ring on. A slide hammer is best, otherwise pry it out with a prybar on each side, you may have to put some ass behind it to get it to pop out.

NashMan

WTF did he just wright ?
Aug 5, 2005
Victoria BC
hummmmmi took mine apart befor mabye i did nto have to remove it oh well thi is going back like 3 yaers ago thou

tekdeus

Pronounced Tek-DAY-us
Jan 23, 2006
Vancouver Canada
www.bitrontech.com
It takes some serious force to get them out. You may be able to jam a prybar in between (using the round shaft end) and hamer it in like a wedge. It would be ideal to have a proper puller but it requires a special SST (toyota tool)

KINGPIN33

Apr 3, 2005
Canada
Well incase anyone looks this up later via search this is what I did:

IJ suggested this to me and it worked. I used a bar (my jack lift lever) as a lever. I wedged it in between the Side Gear Shaft and the Differential housing and used a hammer and ponded the shit out of the lever until the Side Gear Shaft popped out. You will probably have to pry between the differential case and Side Gear shaft a bit to allow some clearance for the lever to be able to slip between them.