Removing rotor/break dust cover

KINGPIN33

Apr 3, 2005
Canada
How hard is it to remove the break/rotor dust cover? All 4 of mine are pretty damn rusty and one is just barely hanging on... I thought i would just remove them. I believe you have to take off the rotors obviously, but from there, are they simply bolted on?
In the TSRM is seems like I have to take the entire hub assembly apart... I'm not 100% sure though.

Thanks,

C

cnewingham

I have the same issue on my frt rt and yes you do have to take out the hub which doesnt seem to be a huge deal but you need a huge socket. I wouldnt suggest running with out them but I'm sure some members have with no ill effects.

KINGPIN33

Apr 3, 2005
Canada
the ill effects would be less cooling and rain being able to hit the rotor... if you look at the front brake dust covers, there are air scoops that direct airflow onto the rotors themselves...

Clip

The Magnificent Seven
Oct 16, 2005
Virginia
i do believe they're just bolted on. i took a quick look when swapping rotors, but don't remember for sure now. if theyre just the covers, why not bust out the angle grinder and cut the bitch off?

KINGPIN33

Apr 3, 2005
Canada
I would just bust out the angle grinder, BUT i rather take it off much more cleanly if possible.. I have a picture of it and it seems like its just bolted on... I guess i will have to see when the time comes to change me rotors...