removing egr

Status
Not open for further replies.

CyFi6

Aliens.
Oct 11, 2007
Phoenix
www.google.com
Can anyone provide some info on what exactly is different between USDM and JDM ECU as far as differences in the tune because of the lack of EGR? It just seems like there's so many people spouting off that EGR WILL CAUSE detonation because of the timing in the stock USDM ECU, yet I have never seen an ounce of proof that it will cause damage. The closest thing I have found is the info jdub had about exhaust temps rising without EGR.

Think about this...
Consider you are running 550's and a Lexus AFM. Right there, your timing adjustments are way out of whack compared to stock. As you scaled the AFM, timing got all jacked up. Nobody complains of harsh detonation and engine destruction during cruise and low loads running this setup, so why are the minute changes in timing for when the ECU expects exhaust gas in the intake regarded as highly dangerous?

I'm not saying that there is no issue or arguing that what people say is wrong...I just don't know how everyone formed that conclusion and what exactly that information is based off of...there has to be some data somewhere for people to conclude that removing EGR on a USDM ecu is dangerous.

CBatstone

Burlington, VT &Wolfeboro
Sep 22, 2006
Vermont
www.thirtythree.org
CyFi6;1732612 said:
Can anyone provide some info on what exactly is different between USDM and JDM ECU as far as differences in the tune because of the lack of EGR? It just seems like there's so many people spouting off that EGR WILL CAUSE detonation because of the timing in the stock USDM ECU, yet I have never seen an ounce of proof that it will cause damage. The closest thing I have found is the info jdub had about exhaust temps rising without EGR.

I'd love to know the answer to this... I just bought a JDM ECU and installed it this morning with the EGR Removed and I still get a big lean spot in mid-throttle 3-4k RPM.

ForcedTorque

Join the 92 Owners Group
Jul 11, 2005
Satsuma, Alabama, United States
I just read this entire thread due to the latest update, and I have one comment for Kai.

It doesn't matter if the car and ECU is from Neptune (or anywhere else), If the car came from the factory with an EGR, then I would bet the ECU is probably tuned for it.

1jz-soarer

Soarer
Oct 14, 2010
Calgary
Just like the people said above no real benefit from it and all you will get is scarred hands and memories from trying to get the bolts back there that will make you cry yourself to sleep at night trust me not fun at all dumbest thing Ive ever done.

Kai

That Limey Bastard
Staff member
Okay guys - i'm closing this thread for two reasons

1) This thread was finished with back in June, and didn't need to be re-opened, the OP likely took the info presented and acted on it by now.
2) We're dragging the thread off on a tangent, and if you want to argue EGR/no-EGR all over again, this isn't the place to do it.

Status
Not open for further replies.