Removing/Deleting 1jz turbo coolant lines.

Redsupra13

Dec 7, 2007
New Hampshire
On my 1jz I do not have these coolant pipes(red arrows in pic) there are block off plates instead. After searching and reading different posts on different forums. It sounds to me like people say you can delete these pipes. Does deleting these pipes harm the turbos? Should I buy them and put them back on? Did I read incorrectly? It seems that eliminating a cooling system wouldn't be a good idea.

p1815403_1.jpg

te72

Classifieds Moderator
Staff member
Mar 26, 2006
WHYoming
You are kidding I hope? Those lines are what feed coolant to your turbos, which is necessary on a water (and oil) cooled turbo. Take them off and you'll be buying new turbos a lot sooner than you'd like to be. ;)

destrux

May 19, 2010
PA
The guys who delete those lines are probably installing oil cooled turbochargers. There's no good reason to do this with the stock turbos.

Redsupra13

Dec 7, 2007
New Hampshire
thank you for the info. I didnt think it was something that should be done. These are pics of my 1jz twins there not the best but you can see that someone before me put plates on them and used RTV silicone. Which leads me to believe the twins are probably going to be on the way out. I have found some flanges on ebay for turbo water lines. Has anyone done aftermarket lines for the stock for the stock 1jz twins? The ebay kits are the only ones i have found. Thanks

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Turbo-Water...ies&vxp=mtr&hash=item231a523d92#ht_1402wt_954

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Turbo-Water...k_Parts_Accessories&vxp=mtr&hash=item41632f32

p1816479_1.jpg

p1816479_2.jpg

destrux

May 19, 2010
PA
If you post a want ad in the classified section I'm sure you could buy a factory water line set from someone who's stock twins blew already. That would cost less and be less hassle than aftermarket lines.

There are lots of people with blown twins around the forums, I'm sure someone has them. I would give you the ones off mine, but I threw them away a few months back because nobody wanted them.

g-magoo

Jul 13, 2011
FL
I have a spare set at home, Ill check and see if they still have the lines attached (cant remeber off the top of my head). If they do I'll let you know.

Radial

Aug 20, 2011
Norway
Journal bearing turbos are very durable, and can easily handle running without water-cooling. Old turbo-cars had no water-jackets on their turbos, and lasted a Very long time.
The problem comes when you run the engine hard, and all the sudden decide to stop for an ice-cream. As the center-housings are quite hot due to the lack of water, and you stop the oil-feed as well (ie Engine shutdown) the turbos have no cooling what so ever, and the remaining overheated oil can start to fuck things up.

But as long as you let the turbo cool down before shutdown, I see no issues running without water coolant lines.. :)

tErbo b00st

Hard Ass
Mar 20, 2007
Iowa City, IA
www.kougakuracing.com
Radial;1819473 said:
Journal bearing turbos are very durable, and can easily handle running without water-cooling. Old turbo-cars had no water-jackets on their turbos, and lasted a Very long time.
The problem comes when you run the engine hard, and all the sudden decide to stop for an ice-cream. As the center-housings are quite hot due to the lack of water, and you stop the oil-feed as well (ie Engine shutdown) the turbos have no cooling what so ever, and the remaining overheated oil can start to fuck things up.

But as long as you let the turbo cool down before shutdown, I see no issues running without water coolant lines.. :)

...which is the whole point of a turbo timer. FYI for anyone, turbo timers on water cooled turbos are pointless