removing an engine

Finnon

Mar 26, 2006
South Shields, Tyne & Wear ENGLAND
how long at a rough guess would it take to remove an engine and put it into another car? ive never done this sort of thing before. I know its easier to pull engine and box. and the car the engine will go in is a manual but it would come out of an auto.

engine is a 7m ge

any other tips?

black89t

boost'en down 101
Oct 27, 2007
humboldt, ca
just go for it.

it could take 4 hours or 4 weeks depending on if you have any idea of what you are doing. try to find a friend that at least works on car to help you. its really not that hard. but some simple things can hold you up for a long time if you aren't the type of person that can work on cars and "improvise". lol.

Davismj711

PA Mountain Supra
Remember to install a pilot bearing ^^

It goes faster after your first, second and third r&r.

Be safe not fast. It is no fun having to remove after replacing, not that I have done it but have seen others put a clutch disc in backwards etc..

I can now remove in 1 to 2 hrs, depending on the need for speed. I prefer to take a day and enjoy the process, if that in itself is possible ^^

slidebabyslide

Starting FRESH !!!!
Dec 17, 2006
salinas,california
you can do it in about one hour if you have air tools and a lift. If no lift or air tools i would say about 4 hours and it's easier to remove the engine and tranny at the same time. Remove them both. If just removing the engine make sure you have a long extension to remove the 14 mm bolts from the tranny.

SuicideSuprA70

Suicide By Metal
Nov 4, 2007
Indianapolis
If you're experienced enough with swaps or have experienced help,
You can have that motor and tranny OUT of the car in less than an hour.

If you're experienced with mechanics and general motor swaps,
With helping hands, likely 3-5 hours.

If you're absolutely unfamiliar or have never done a motor pull/drop in before...
I do NOT suggest doing this on your own.

YES, The best way to learn is from hands on experience...
But the last thing we want to hear is a R.I.P Thread for Finnon because his severed body got trapped under a falling motor from the cherry picker.

If you're taking a stab at it...Just remember, Safety is Key.

SupraMario

I think it was the google
Mar 30, 2005
The Farm
SuicideSuprA70;1159241 said:
If you're experienced enough with swaps or have experienced help,
You can have that motor and tranny OUT of the car in less than an hour.

If you're experienced with mechanics and general motor swaps,
With helping hands, likely 3-5 hours.

If you're absolutely unfamiliar or have never done a motor pull/drop in before...
I do NOT suggest doing this on your own.

YES, The best way to learn is from hands on experience...
But the last thing we want to hear is a R.I.P Thread for Finnon because his severed body got trapped under a falling motor from the cherry picker.

If you're taking a stab at it...Just remember, Safety is Key.

This is pretty damn accurate.
First engine I pulled, me and a friend...didn't know WTF we were doing, but the good ol' hays manual came in handy. Only took us 12 hours and a shit load of Dr. pepper.

Last motor I pulled being my 7mge took me all of 30-1 hour to pull it.

It's prolly going to be easier if you have someone help you that knows what they are doing, but then again you may not learn quite as much.

It's up to you, just be safe, engines are heavy mmmkay!?

A-to-the-J

Panda™ and Pre-89 Gracer™
Feb 19, 2006
Anaheim/West Covina, CA
first one I did was with help - three hours. It gradually got better as we kept pulling engines and dropping them in. Just recently, I pulled my engine out of my car, took me about two hours with no lift and no power tools. But I did get a little sidetracked with water and bathroom breaks. LoL.

Remember to: Drain Coolant, Drain Tranny Fluid, Undo A/C Compressor, Undo P/S Resevior and pump, throttle cable, heater valve hose, water hose to the firewall, unplug the harness from ignitor and any other misc things that will need to be unplugged, ecu, shifter, driveshaft. eh, all i can think of right now. I'm going back to sleep, it's a little early.

GL with everything!

metaphysico

Mad Scientist
Jan 2, 2008
Gainesville, Georgia
Lol I always have to base mine on beer consumption.
1-3 beers 1 hour
4-6 beers 1.5 hours
6-12 beers 5 hours
12+ next day affair as I always get to messing with somthing else.

Btw the beer dosent slow me down it just makes me clean more stuff as I pull it out.

When you have done enough of these you can just throw all the parts into a big box and you just know where they go durring reinstall. But seriously if your not very experianced make sure to buy plenty of baggies.... for the bolts (not for your weed) and label them where they go so u dont forget, because it may be a while before you get to reinstalling depending on what your doing. If you don't have a lift and air tools it will be the pita, if you dont have a cherry picker don't do it even cousin Bubba is not strong enough to lift these motor+trans assemblies.

SuicideSuprA70

Suicide By Metal
Nov 4, 2007
Indianapolis
D34DC311;1159492 said:
This is pretty damn accurate.
First engine I pulled, me and a friend...didn't know WTF we were doing, but the good ol' hays manual came in handy. Only took us 12 hours and a shit load of Dr. pepper.

Last motor I pulled being my 7mge took me all of 30-1 hour to pull it.

It's prolly going to be easier if you have someone help you that knows what they are doing, but then again you may not learn quite as much.

It's up to you, just be safe, engines are heavy mmmkay!?

Adding to the heavy quote, a 7m is heavier then a v8.

So from watching and participating in motor pulls its much better and EASIER done with more sets of hands. Just get some extra hands and a computer at ur side for reference :icon_bigg

annoyingrob

Boosted member
Jul 5, 2006
Calgary, Alberta, Canada
I can pull my motor in 3 hours, including removing the whole harness, and draining all fluid systems.

I can put it back in, in like twice that time.

Estimate a good solid weekend if you've never done it before.

Finnon

Mar 26, 2006
hmmm ok. i can borrow an engine crane. if not i can borrow scaffold and use an electric whinch type thing. i have fairly comprehensive socket set. Can always buy more stuff if needed.

I am fairly competent at working on cars. services, changing brakes shockers usual stuff. ive just never taken an engine out of a car before.

shaeff

Kurt is FTMFW x2!!!!
Staff member
Super Moderator
Mar 30, 2005
Around
annoyingrob;1159950 said:
I can pull my motor in 3 hours, including removing the whole harness, and draining all fluid systems.

I can put it back in, in like twice that time.

Estimate a good solid weekend if you've never done it before.

Right on. Supras are so easy to pull the motors out of. (MA70's anyway, never done another chassis)

sneakypete

Jul 18, 2007
Central NJ
also be prepared to break bolts, fittings and hoses. this commonly happens while doing even regular maintenance. get a full gasket set along with new hoses from toyota. it will save you time when you break something and have to order it. label everything and take pictures of everything so you know how to put everything back together.
good luck

shaeff

Kurt is FTMFW x2!!!!
Staff member
Super Moderator
Mar 30, 2005
Around
I never broke any bolts when removing my engine the numerous times that I have. Just be careful, use a good penetrating lubricant. Mainly, just don't be a Gorilla, and you shouldn't have any problems. :)

sneakypete

Jul 18, 2007
Central NJ
shaeff;1160814 said:
I never broke any bolts when removing my engine the numerous times that I have. Just be careful, use a good penetrating lubricant. Mainly, just don't be a Gorilla, and you shouldn't have any problems. :)

well the first time pulled my own engine, a lot of those bolts were original and were never removed. some were stripped and some were already rounded off by the previous owner. its just good to be prepared. i replaced almost all the original bolts with new grade 8 fasteners or new from toyota (cps, throttle linkage, etc)... plus they look a lot better too

Finnon

Mar 26, 2006
alright cheers guys, at some point soon i guess ill be having a go at my first engine pull.

Kai yeah i saw it, ill have a look through. totally forgot to look in the guide section

Chris, ill see how long it takes me to do it mate. see if i can rope someone in to give me a hand

cheers for the advice everyone