Remote mount oil filter and what about a cooler?

Suprafast0422

Nov 14, 2006
Maryland
Ok so im rebuilding my 7m, its not a big buildup(stock rods and pistons, mhg) but id like to have the motor running as well as it can with this setup. Now onto my questions.

With a remote mount oil filter, are there any downsides too it? What are all the upsides too it? Does it increase flow/volume? and could anyone that has done this and is happy with it fill me in on what parts they used and how they ran everything and to where?

And for the oil cooler, from what ive read you guys have done it a few different ways. what about the pressure releif valve/spring(the one thats located on the oem oil filter mount)? If you get a thermostat controlled oil cooler do you not use this releife valve/spring anymore? Upsides and downsides?

After i get everything said and done id like to make a thread with info and links to ALL oil system info and mods, as it seams like its an area that should be upgraded on every supra out there.

oldsking

Mar 19, 2009
Chapel Hill, NC
Reviving an old thread for a question, how do you know which is IN or OUT on the block adapter if it's not labeled? I can peak through the fitting and one seems to flow into the block easier and right to my NA fitting, the other fitting is a bit to the left and not directly over the fitting. I am presuming it would flow out of the adapter on the NA fitting side, into my filter then filter to cooler then cooler back to block adapter?

IwantMKIII

WVU MAEngineering
Jun 12, 2007
Perkasie, PA
This is something that would've been in the directions. Not all adapters clearly specify 'in' or 'out'. If you don't have the instructions, contact the company or use google.

grimreaper

Jul 2, 2008
Dallas
"In" to the block is the center circle or inside diameter of the na fitting. The large cavity that circumnavigates the adapter is the "out" of the block to the cooler/filter.

In and Out are always the outside of the filter housing (or filter opening) going through to the center.

Beefy_Heafy

Toyota Love
Nov 9, 2009
South East Qld
Oldsking, oil gets picked up by your oil pump and is pushed out the outside cavity that is around ur NA stud. then it should go thru to ur remote filter thermostat cooler etc and come back into the engine via the innermost of the 2 holes in the adaptor and through the na stud into the main oil gallery to ur bearings cams turbo etc.

92nsx ur explanation is the wrong way around. prolly just a typo. shouldnt it be. out around outside of filter, in through the center
dont want to be picky, just trying to make sure oldsking doesnt get confused.

Suprafast, that guide jdub linked u is awesome. also a good source of info would be the ongoing thread about oils and oiling system that i started not too long ago when i did all the oil system mods to my mk3. give them both a good read through. it will answer a lot of questions, even ones u dont even have yet :p
http://www.supramania.com/forums/sh...tion-and-excessive-temperatures-in-rebuilt-7m

jetjock

creepy-ass cracka
Jul 11, 2005
Redacted per Title 18 USC Section 798
oldsking;1598756 said:
...how do you know which is IN or OUT on the block adapter if it's not labeled?...

A simple thing to remember is with any cylindrical shaped filter the direction of flow, regardless of the medium involved, will always be from filter element's outside diameter to it's inside diameter because the outside diameter has the larger surface area. Flow in the opposite direction would decrease the filter's holding capacity.

Nick M

Black Rifles Matter
Sep 9, 2005
U.S.
www.ebay.com
oldsking;1605033 said:
DO yall have a picture of this directions? I have a feeling mine is not right but I do have oil in my lines and such.

Like this?

Perma%20cool%20thermostat.jpg

Beefy_Heafy

Toyota Love
Nov 9, 2009
South East Qld
nick i have the permacool oil thermostat also. I know its ment to be a 90/10 design but do u think it flows a little much through the cooler when its still cold. its more like 60bypass/40cooler when cold and then 10bypass/90cooler when hot. or something along those lines. just seems engine takes longer to get hot than it used to before i installed the thermostat to replace the stock oil system setup.
then again i did have a blocked cat that pushed temps thru the roof... what do u reckon about yours, or anyone else who has had experience with the permacool oil thermostat for that matter.

Nick M

Black Rifles Matter
Sep 9, 2005
U.S.
www.ebay.com
The old set up sent no oil through the cooler until the pressure relief let it go. Like at high rpms. It should take longer, but consider what oil you are using.

oldsking

Mar 19, 2009
Chapel Hill, NC
Thanks Beefy_Heafy, now let me see if I have this correct now, the outer diameter hose side should then go into the inner diameter of where my filter is at (the remote adapter), then the outer diameter would go to my cooler, then cooler BACK into the block via the inner diameter?

92nsx

Supramania Contributor
Sep 30, 2005
Clearwater, MN
Beefy_Heafy;1605103 said:
92nsx ur explanation is the wrong way around. prolly just a typo. shouldnt it be. out around outside of filter, in through the center
dont want to be picky, just trying to make sure oldsking doesnt get confused.

Nope no typo ;) This is the way I have mine and works great.

OFc3r.jpg

filterflow.jpg

Beefy_Heafy

Toyota Love
Nov 9, 2009
South East Qld
haha 92nsx were both right. just i assumed that you were talking about the holes on the block side, not the filter side. I was talking block, i missread
yes you are perfectly right.

oldsking no thats still not right, let me explain it differently. think of the block adapter as a way of making ur filter really long. so by doing this the oil picked up by the pump and traveling out through the outside ring around the na stud needs to go to the outside of the filter as it would if the filter was screwed onto the side of the block. 92nsx's pics are good reference
then it passes through the filter media.
and comes out of the middle hole in the filter
now that the oil is filtered it can go to the thermostat and cooler etc
then back to the inner hole on the block.

outside diameter of block remote filter adapter to outside of remote filter
inside of remote filter to center hole on remote filter adapter via thermostat cooler etc.

Last edited: