Remanufactured Steering Rack Quality?

Moy

It's broken...
Aug 6, 2008
Beach Park, IL
Hey folks, my steering rack has about 239k miles on it and is very sloppy. It's about time to replace it.

On the topic of the quality of Remanufactured steering racks, which one of the following three has the best?
A-1 Cardone
AC Delco
Beck/Arnley

The reason I ask is because those are the three listed on RockAuto's site, and have heard good things about all three companies.

IJ.

Grumpy Old Man
Mar 30, 2005
I come from a land down under
Most "reman" racks are a very basic clean and replace seals kind of deal as the hard parts required for a full rebuild are expensive and hard to get :(
(an example is the main steel tube the rack lives in is over $1000 on it's own here, a couple of the pinion bearings were really hard to source with one of them being used in a Europeon motorbike engine so available at least)

Which company offers the best warranty?

Moy

It's broken...
Aug 6, 2008
Beach Park, IL
I'm going to have to contact them about that, I can't find anything on RockAuto and am having trouble finding it on their individual sites. At the same time as I ask them about the warranty, I'll probably ask about what all is involved in their remanufacturing process

fixitman04

fixer of all things !!
Sep 18, 2008
north dakota
i would not have any issue buying either the cardone or the beck/arnly part, both are quality companies arnly is napa and cardone is carquest

CyFi6

Aliens.
Oct 11, 2007
Phoenix
www.google.com
Looking to replace my rack soon as it has a bad leak. I know a lot of people have replaced their racks with reman units, does anyone have any advice as to which brand has the best warranty/which brand you have had good or bad luck with?

suprajim54

Sep 2, 2009
Dallas, Texas
I bought mine from www.carsteering.com about five years ago and had no problems at all. They have a 3 yr warranty. If you have PPS, you can get the rack with or without the solenoid. There is a core charge, but I reused the box they shipped me and got my credit back pretty quickly. I'd buy from them again if needed.

emiliorescigno

Supramania Contributor
Sep 17, 2006
Woodbury, MN
Somewhat related: is anyone aware of any aftermarket racks (Quaife or similar) that have a faster steering ratio? Mine isn't in bad shape, but the Supra's slow steering can get pretty annoying when doing autocross and the like.