Reliable 400-450 HP?

yung2ner

3E5 LOVER
I'm planning on rebuilding my engine after I get it running and running right. It's not making a spark so I need to find that problem. But on to the point. I'm wanting to upgrade it to a RELIABLE 400-450 BHP.

Engine:
I'm going to rebuild the engine internals with Eagle Connecting Rods, CP .20 over size Pistons, Custom piston rings, Clevite 77 Bearing kit which includes the trust washer, and Rod and Main bearings from SupraStore.com. Also I'll rebuild the head with Titan 1.4mm Metal Head Gasket, ARP Head Bolts, and a Greddy Timing Belt, standard size valves for both exhaust and intake, dual valve springs, spring seat locators, and titanium retainers. And last Gates 7MGTE timing belt and two (2) Titan Motorsports 7MGTE cam gears.

Fuel System:
Aeromotive -6 FPR w/ stainless steel fuel lines and fittings to directly bolt-in, a Fuel Pressure Gauge, 550cc Injectors (6 each) w/ Injector Clips, and a 255lph Walbro Fuel pump.

Intake:
K&N FIPK intake (would the Lexus v8 AFM be better?)

Exhaust:
Blitz NUR Spec Exhuast, 3in TestPipe, and TMS 3in Downpipe

Electronics:
GReddy Boost Cut Controller, GReddy Profec B Spec 2, and an Apex-i Neo fuel controller

Clutch:
RPS Sport Series Stage 1 Clutch, Fidanza Lightweight Flywheel, factory Toyota pilot and throw-out bearings, and a Steel Braided Clutch Line

I'm only 15 and don't know a whole lot about how to perfectly do this, but my dad is a Toyota mechanic so he knows what all this is about. I'm going to be rebuilding my Supra over the next 2 years and get it back to life, looking stock, with a little power under the hood. All I want is a nicely tuned car (obviously I wanted the Supra over anything else to build) that will be reliable but not ridicoulus on power. So if anyone can give me tips on what I need to do and what I need that would be awesome. I've been reading LOTs on this site this past month and am still trying to figure things out.

Sawbladz

Supramania Contributor
Mar 14, 2006
Oshawa, ON, CA
Don't get the Titan HG. If memory serves, the Cometic is the same but without the Titan name. Therefore, the cometic is cheaper.

kabanimk3supra

kabanimk3supra
Apr 11, 2007
oklahoma
haha thats funny man. your 15 and already thinking about 450 hp. you would kill yourself. you need to master driving in a car with little power, preferably a front wheel drive. maybe an integra or something. by the way, the list you made will need at least 6thousand dollars.

what part of oklahoma do u live in?

yung2ner

3E5 LOVER
Well where can I find the Cometic? And yea, it even makes me laugh that I want that much power, but I used to drive a CBR 600 Honda, so I think I know what the fastness part feals like, just not the control. I live in NE OK. The part where every shop around sucks and I have to drive 60 miles to find good Toyota Dealers.

Jaguar_5

It's ALIVE!
Feb 7, 2006
Seattle
yung2ner said:
Engine:
I'm going to rebuild the engine internals with Eagle Connecting Rods, CP .20 over size Pistons, Custom piston rings, Clevite 77 Bearing kit which includes the trust washer, and Rod and Main bearings from SupraStore.com. Also I'll rebuild the head with Titan 1.4mm Metal Head Gasket, ARP Head Bolts, and a Greddy Timing Belt, standard size valves for both exhaust and intake, dual valve springs, spring seat locators, and titanium retainers. And last Gates 7MGTE timing belt and two (2) Titan Motorsports 7MGTE cam gears.

You listed 2 timing belts :D
Save your money with the Clevites, even though they're sold as the 77's they're just re-boxed NDC's, if you order them as NDC's they're cheaper, also don't order your headgasket until you know what thickness you need, dependant on how much you remove from your deck and head, make 100% SURE you've reached the correct RA for the headgasket, or you're wasting your time and money! I recommnend the Cometic MHG, it requires a RA of 50 or less, the others are between 15-30 RA or less, so the cometic is the most forgiving.

Fuel System:
Aeromotive -6 FPR w/ stainless steel fuel lines and fittings to directly bolt-in, a Fuel Pressure Gauge, 550cc Injectors (6 each) w/ Injector Clips, and a 255lph Walbro Fuel pump.

Intake:
K&N FIPK intake (would the Lexus v8 AFM be better?)

Filter vs. AFM? The lexus AFM would be better than the stock AFM, and will go well with your 550 injectors, alternatively you might want to look into MAFT-Pro, go speed-density, drop the AFM, boost controller, and fuel controller. You'll still need a filter such as the K&N, but it lets in alot of dirt, iirc Apexi makes the best filtering and flowing air filters.

Exhaust:
Blitz NUR Spec Exhuast, 3in TestPipe, and TMS 3in Downpipe

Electronics:
GReddy Boost Cut Controller, GReddy Profec B Spec 2, and an Apex-i Neo fuel controller

We don't have Boost cut on our cars, we have fuel cut, and a fuel cut defender is a BAD idea! You'll be able to tune out fuel cut with the 550/afpr/lex afm + fuel controller combination, or with a MAFT-Pro.

Clutch:
RPS Sport Series Stage 1 Clutch, Fidanza Lightweight Flywheel, factory Toyota pilot and throw-out bearings, and a Steel Braided Clutch Line

Stock clutchline is already a hardline, so unless it needs to be replaced, the steel line is just for show, get some ARP flywheel bolts

I'm only 15 and don't know a whole lot about how to perfectly do this, but my dad is a Toyota mechanic so he knows what all this is about. I'm going to be rebuilding my Supra over the next 2 years and get it back to life, looking stock, with a little power under the hood. All I want is a nicely tuned car (obviously I wanted the Supra over anything else to build) that will be reliable but not ridicoulus on power. So if anyone can give me tips on what I need to do and what I need that would be awesome. I've been reading LOTs on this site this past month and am still trying to figure things out.

There have been tons of threads on all this stuff, so search around, read the 7M Build Guide in the technical section, do lots of research!!! There are many little quirks to the 7M, such as needing the front plate on when you deck the block.

Good luck!

2543arvin

Moving to Japan!!!
Nov 30, 2006
Jacksonville, NC
yung2ner said:
yea I drove it until I slid it under a fence...it hurt like hell and I don't want to get another crotchrocket...but I'll continue doing the research I need, and I guess a Stage 4 clutch would be a very good idea

I would research it, because you may not need a stage 4, but definitely more than a stage 1 I believe.

fiyota

I ♥ Boost
May 3, 2006
Kelowna, BC
if you can't handle 600cc bike I wouldn't jump behind the seat of a 400-450hp supra.

Do it gradually, start at like 300-350 whp.. drive a round with that for a while.. trust me you'll have fun. Then in a few years start the major build and get it closer to 500, after you've had some more experience with a high powered car.

I fast/light bike handles and reacts a little differently than a high powered heavy car. A little too much throttle in the corner and you'll spin right around. In an emergency situation a heavy car like the supra takes a lot of skill to correct.

IwantMKIII

WVU MAEngineering
Jun 12, 2007
Perkasie, PA
15 huh? you sound just like the kid on the other forum i belong, got a 400HP car, and very nice, i think it was a modified 'stang. We told him id be too much power, his response: no, i'll drive this thing very cautiously and responsibly i don't want anything bad to happen. It took him 1 week to total the car.........

1 WEEK!

Do yourself a favor and work your way up to it. As far as modding to reliable power....search, there are tons of threads on this

tomjan87

Apr 18, 2005
Madison, WI
well in his defence, i was the same way lol, but a warning, i did total a stock supra because as it was said here, corners are hell!!

But give him the benifit of the dout, it it takes him 2 years to do he will be 17 and 2 years of driving under his belt.

I dont think it is the best idea, but if your like me then nothing anyone says is going to make any difference to you, so build it right, have fun, and be glad your in a supra, cause they can take an accedent and you will walk away (most of the time)

Be careful and have fun, its a great car!

bountykilla0118

In Pursuit of 500rwhp
Jul 16, 2005
Atlanta GA
The stock turbo @ 14psi would be well past pushing his limit. How many kids with little civics with the basic bolt ons wreck. Driving alone takes time not to mention really learn how to drive. Knowing your ability to manage the car within the cars limits. That takes along time....

I remember when i was 13 and my dad bought me an 1980 camero with a small black 400 and a turbo 350 tranny. However my brother drove up until my 16th birthday. I went to New York for a soccer tournament right before my birthday and keep in mind i was driving the car with my brother and dad every chance I got. So they knew I could drive the car pretty good. Some nights me and my friends would push it out of the driveway and down the street and crank her up and go for a ride.

When I came back from the tournament I jumped straight in her b/c i was officially 16. I started her up and at first i was like hmmmm she sounds a little different but I was like fuck it. I get to a stop light with my friends and I in the car and a few of my other friends were behind me. So i decided to lock her down .... I held the brakes and floored it but the tires were having a hard time trying to spin so i was like WTF. I turn around and brought her home to my dad and brother who were just sitting like nothing was wrong

They start blaming me that I did something wrong so my dad is like pop the hood. We are looking around to see whats issue ..... Then I noticed that there were only 6 spark plug wires. Then all i hear is my damn dad and my brother laughing their ass off. His first remark was son "You out of all my children ..... did you really think I was going to give you a loaded gun and tell you not to shoot it."

I was pissed beyond belief .... But now I understand why he swapped the small block 400 to a 256 straight 6. I have not wrecked a car yet but I have come very very close numerous times. Rear wheel drive is fun but it can be dangerous too. When you brake in a corner and you feel that rear end start to slip and come around...... Lets see where you pull out the driving experience to know what do ....... Without thinking.

buldozr

Jan 9, 2007
North Texas
my first ride was an 88 rx7, street port, gutted cats, base model(very very light), that car ran great, I was 12(and sitting on a SWB phone book) when I started driving the country back roads(rock and dirt), thats where you will learn how to drive a RWD is the rock roads, If your sideways and not in a ditch, your doing great! Go for it dude, if you want 400, do it, it will be a learning experience for sure.

P.S. You wreck it, I want first dibs on the part out.