Reinforced Silicone rad. hose kit specific for the 7M-GTE??

jetjock

creepy-ass cracka
Jul 11, 2005
Redacted per Title 18 USC Section 798
I'm holding a new one in my hands (lol, the one on the car is original. I really should change it one of these days ) and by looking at the photo it's not the same. Sorta close but no cigar

I thought one of the vendors here had an offering?

starscream5000

Senior VIP Member
Aug 23, 2006
Hot and Humid, KY
I'm not sure, but haven't really looked at the vendor's items in detail lately. I know Aaron has a bunch of 1JZ rad hoses that can be modified to fit, but not sure if he has one specifically for the 7M...

I also heard of one person (maybe in the UK) negotiating with Samco on doing a COMPLETE Silicone hose replacement kit for the entire motor, that would be worth something to look into, however the price usually kills off any interest from the majority of MKIII owners out there.

dirtlord420

just here
Aug 1, 2005
tn
i was also wondering about these. the price is pretty good i would say. but i was more concernd about how long they would last.

ILikeCarsYesIDo

Permanently Banned
Nov 26, 2007
Hayward, CA
Can't you go to Kragen and order the 6M lower radiator hose that's more direct, rather than the loopy crap on the 7M?

Also, does anyone know off the top of their head the diameter of the 7M top radiator hose? I'm getting a Tefba coolant filter and I am no where near my Supra (at work.)

starscream5000

Senior VIP Member
Aug 23, 2006
Hot and Humid, KY
dirtlord420 said:
i was also wondering about these. the price is pretty good i would say. but i was more concernd about how long they would last.

I have OBX Silicone Rad. hoses on my 3G and have had them on for about 3 years with no problems. IIRC they are 3 ply too.

It's pretty much the same no-name brand stuff that DM sells (other than the genuine Samcos of course) except with a different name stamped on them.

jetjock

creepy-ass cracka
Jul 11, 2005
That Samco kit might be what I was thinking of. I'm not saying the ebay one won't fit but it just doesn't look "loopy" enough compared to the one sitting here. The bends seem off. Not that it'd help but you might want to ask the guy.

I'll stick with stock for now since I have a new one, silicone is overrated imho, and the old one is pushing 21 years. Can't ask for more than that. Then again after I lost the rad and heater core back when I was young and foolish I started caring for my cooling system in ways most don't. I've since been careful about ECD, use a good HOAT coolant tested often, and run a filter. Not a Tefba (it's better than nothing) but a real filter made for the purpose. Gives me a very clean system with zero troubles.

Otherwise I usually deal with Gates. Their Green Stripe line is good stuff and I'm pretty sure they make a lower for this car. I'm partial to their belts too.

jetjock

creepy-ass cracka
Jul 11, 2005
That page is pretty funny. Creative guys. At least it shows what crap can be floating around in there. The Tefba will be OK but it's not optimal. When I cut my filters open I see all kinds of stuff that'd easily get by it. I don't think it has any sort of bypass either ie; when it plugs you'll lose flow. It just depends how anal you want to be. Myself, I'm a stickler for good filtration anywhere I can do it, especially on auto trannys and power steering systems.

I use a Donaldson coolant filter without SCAs (supplemental cooling additives) installed in the TB coolant loop. Mounted where my igniter used to be. It's big rig stuff but only a little bigger than a normal oil filter. I get 'em cheap from fleetfilter.com or filterbarn.com, I forget which because I buy various filters from both places. NAPA will be more than happy to rip you off for the WIX at something like $15 a pop. The number is 4070.

The "problem" with real coolant filters is they have an odd stud size. That means a matching filter mount is needed. You can get one cheap from a marine supply store because fuel filters used for boats have the same stud. Ebay has them for peanuts too.

That said you can also use a cheap Permacool oil filter mount and a plain old oil filter. Use a "tight" one like a Purolator PureOne if it makes you feel better. Or use the Tefba and forget you read this ;)

tte

Breaking In - in progress
Mar 30, 2005
Northern California

jetjock

creepy-ass cracka
Jul 11, 2005
starscream5000 said:
Gary, do you have an pictures of your power steering setup?

Sorry, I don't. Not much to see I'm afraid. I use a Magnefine inline filter on the PS system:

http://tinyurl.com/yed4wx

It fits well under the AFM on the return line. Someone on here did a nice job using a spin on for his PS. Can't remember who it was though. He mounted it up front where the cooler is. That's really the way it ought to be done except a genuine hydraulic filter or a Trasko should be used. That said anything is better than nothing.

Do a full flush before installing any filter and replace with synthetic. I use Mobil One. Still running every original PS component. All are leak and trouble free.