Reiketsukan's Progress Thread

Reiketsukan

Jack of All Trades
Apr 13, 2009
United States
Welcome, ladies and gentlemen, to a somewhat chronological record of my progress with my '91 Supra. Since I'm a poor college student, my over-all build probably won't be all that impressive, but I plan on doing my best with what I've got to work with. I'm writing this up for my own reference and hopefully your entertainment, but please don't be afraid to add your own comments or factual recommendations.

I may as well start with how she was when I picked her up last April on the night before Easter!

Mod list when I picked her up:
JDM 7M-GTE
Rebuilt A340e auto trans w/shift kit
low mileage .57 trim CT26 at @ 8psi
Cheap ebay-style dp that attaches to the stock elbow
HKS Sport 3" exhaust
Lowered 1.5 on Eibach Pro springs
Drilled and slotted rotors all around
New wheel bearings all around

Not a single spot of rust, garage kept, never seen winter!

2r73vw7.jpg

Gotta love those sawblades... Despite their good condition, they just couldn't grow on me. The style of wheel on a car can make or break the car's whole look for me, so they had to go...

16jlmwz.jpg

Luckily, I picked up some polished aluminum 17" x 9" Cobra SVT rims with decent tires for cheap from a good friend. They came with 275's on the back that seem to just fit perfectly.

After that, I got tired of the broken stock CD player (I HATE the radio!!) and installed a nice Sony head unit along with some Infinity 6'5's in the front and 3'5's in the rear. I also went ahead and installed a ProSport electronic Boost gauge because I wanted to see if I was boosting past 8psi!

{pics to be added later}

It wasn't long before I got the itch for more speed, so I bade my time until I could get my hands on a nice BIC DDP and a 3" test pipe from another friend of mine who decided to go 1j.

1yvlmf.jpg

I put on a nice strip of header wrap on it after I gave it a few coats of header paint, then I coated the wrap as directed. It fit perfectly and I love how it's quiet unless I give it hell. Just driving around town, I can hear the turbo spool up from inside the car just like a semi on the highway. :love:

Sadly, that last mod put me in fuel cut territory, so I started to research and save for the ever popular Lex/550 mod. After a few months of Ramen Noodles and Hamburger Helper, here's what I've procured so far...

vctksn.jpg

^A Suprasport adjustable AFM that polished up great, RC 550's...

k1w61l.jpg

^An Apexi SAFC II, Autometer Wideband O2...

t9jqbn.jpg

^Low milage NGK plug wires and new accordion pipe I got cheap from a friend after his 7M had kittens...

Next, I plan on picking up a Walboro fuel pump, Aeromotive FPR kit, Spearco style intercooler, and nice hard pipe kit from Driftmotion.

Due to hectic college classes and crappy work schedules, progress has been slower than I would like. I've got every part I need now including everything mentioned above. In the past few weeks I've gotten a decent amount done in my sparse spare time.....

My RC 550cc injectors are installed and I wired in some nice new clips.

1rzy4m.jpg

The tank's dropped and we're ready to install the new Walbro pump, but we kind of buggered up the high pressure line coming from the tank on accident and we're going to yoink one off a donor car first. I also snagged a new fuel filter to install because the one on there is 20 years old.

2qs4bbm.jpg

I bought an EGT gauge from Prosport to match my boost gauge. Looks pretty damn good lol.

e7kjyw.jpg

I wired them in to glow green when the headlights are on so they match the dash and the stereo.

64plq1.jpg

I also drilled out my cigarette lighter and installed my Autometer Wideband O2 sensor. I like it quite a bit.

xkxbf7.jpg

Here's my SAFC2 installed. It's going to be spending most of its time in my glove box so it doesn't blind me at night, and so it doesn't tempt any thieves.

2ajb71h.jpg

When we did the install of the SAFC2, we noticed the ECU had a bunch of Japanese all over it. Is this a JDM ECU? I know the motor is a JDM swap.

xnrs4p.jpg

And here's the motor as it sits now, waiting for us to install the new intercooler and fuel pump, fab up some charge pipes, and get her tuned!

avlnyd.jpg

-(Small Update)-
Here's my Aeromotive FPR mounted up and looking pretty.

29ct2dh.jpg

And here's Newgen and my Walbro pump ready to me installed!

34npgn5.jpg

*UPDATE*

I mounted my new IC, relocated my oil cooler, and fabbed up my IC piping the
other day! Here are the pipes as I got them back from the welder...

i1dtky.jpg

Here's a couple pics right before we put the bumper on.

2h83eki.jpg

11htn9x.jpg

Here's a view from the top, showing clearances and how it mounts.

2wolqp4.jpg

One more pic showing the new IC through the bumper after get set it back on.

2cfz5dz.jpg

Getting pretty damn close! And now that I'm done with summer classes, I'll have MUCH more time to finish it!!

*UPDATE*

We got her on the dyno and the HG popped at 13psi... Come to find out the previous owner had lied about the car having an MLS head gasket and head studs. : (
Here's a pic taken the day it happened.

izozzr.jpg

I stopped tuning after one pull with white smoke and had it towed home the next day. Sadly, school started shortly after, so I let it set in the garage until I got some extra time.
...and then I got some extra time! My good buddy Newgen and I started wrenching and got the head off eventually.
That head was a bit of a bear to lift alone with the exhaust and lower intake manifold on.

2603b77.jpg

Looks like the HG popped around Cyl. 6. That's one clean piston.

otj2wz.jpg

o90cjl.jpg

And here's the head, ready for the machine shop. Hopefully it checks out alright. My car never over-heated, so it should be fine with any luck.

34ytpoz.jpg

*UPDATE*
Picked the head up from the machine shop today. They milled .012 off the head surface to get it plained, so I'm going to pick up a Titan 2.0mm head gasket.

2csgnwm.jpg

25p4i92.jpg

*UPDATE*
I got the head back on and started re-assembly.
sotjl1.jpg

kcnfac.jpg

2ef7w2a.jpg

Turbo's back on there...
14kij9f.jpg

All back together! (Forgive the crappy cell phone pics)
16a62w3.jpg

I let it idle through 5 heat cycles, then re-torqued the head studs. So far, Newgen and I haven't gotten it tuned all the way yet (still running pretty rich), but it runs great!

Last edited:

nick88

JayHall's Hero
May 10, 2009
Des Moines, Iowa, United States
Reiketsukan;1500839 said:
I put on a nice strip of header wrap on it after I gave it a few coats of header paint, then I coated the wrap as directed. It fit perfectly and I love how it's quiet unless I give it hell. Just driving around town, I can hear the turbo spool up from inside the car just like a semi on the highway. :love:

Don't lie.:: angry :: You got it from me wrapped. :icon_bigg
Reiketsukan;1500839 said:
^Low milage NGK plug wires and new accordion pipe I got cheap from a friend after his 7M had kittens...

The kittens didn't live long. :3d_frown:

nick88

JayHall's Hero
May 10, 2009
Des Moines, Iowa, United States
Reiketsukan;1500858 said:
I unwrapped it, painted it, and re-wrapped it, so I'm not lying lol!!!

My wrap job wasn't good enough for you??? It had 3 coats of vht flat black on it already. I sanded down the surface rust that came with it, scotchbrite'd it, and sprayed a light coat, then 2 more heavy coats on it, used a can and a half of the paint.

The wrap is on there a little better than I had it on cause I didn't think about how it would stay on until I got done wrapping it.

*james*

Dec 24, 2008
dmi
Those wheels made it look a lot better than I remembered, but I also haven't seen the car in so long!

Reiketsukan

Jack of All Trades
Apr 13, 2009
United States
nick88;1500862 said:
My wrap job wasn't good enough for you???

It looked like Hellen Keller put the damn thing on! :icon_razz Honestly, it started coming undone when I took off that rusted piece of bailing wire to replace it with those metal zip-tie things. Also, did you know that wrap goes on best when you soak it in water for a while before you wrap it? That's what makes it look so form-fitted! I've done it a few times on V-8 headers, so I went ahead redid it for fun. It's not like many people will see it anyway though...

*james*;1501047 said:
Those wheels made it look a lot better than I remembered, but I also haven't seen the car in so long!

Oh yeah! Ford actually did something right when they picked those wheels. And our Supra crew should be getting together much more this year since everyone's ride should be running by summer!

JDMMA70;1500863 said:
looking good.

Emik87t;1501018 said:
looking good, glad you're still turning wrenches on it.

Thanks, JDMMA70! Good to hear from you, Emik87t! She's going to be a blast when I get this done! Please tell your dad thanks again for the rocking deal he gave me on the car and let him know how it's evolving. She's in good hands!

Reiketsukan

Jack of All Trades
Apr 13, 2009
United States
kamikazemkiii;1501686 said:
Looks good, just got my downpipe in the other day like yours. Cant wait to see if theirs any gains.
Just wondering but is the car lowered in the pics?

I hope you like your DDP as much as I do! Yes, my car is lowered in the pics. Not a big drop at all, it's actually kinda subtle. If you ask me, these springs put the ride height where it should have been stock, centering the wheels perfectly in the wheel well. I don't like 'dumping' cars so the wheels are all tucked up in the wheel well, making you smash your exhaust while going over speed bumps... Makes them ride like a damn skate board, too!